The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

In today's bad news, I learned yesterday that Gary Graham has died. Trek has really struggled with Vulcans since TOS, but he really nailed it.

\Probably to set up shots and such because of restrictions on child actors. This came up before when the couple played characters in an episode.
Yeah, that rings a bell.

Maybe they couldn't get Air Force cooperation...but would they need it?
They wouldn't have needed it, but they may have wanted it, so that's a possibility.

Maybe those movies are worth watching, after all. :rommie:

Not that I caught.
In that case, the boys are in for further aerial adventures.

He had a singing career going there for a couple of years.
Okay, I remember that one, although I think I remember it from Lost 45s.

And was a co-star on a TV show during the same period...
I have no recollection of this at all, but I like that opening sequence and there's a few familiar names there. Seeing that William Blinn was involved, I wonder if this is how David Soul landed Hutch.

Ah, that was the name of Campbell's character. I had to go back and look.
I could just imagine him overhearing Gage talking to Brackett. :rommie:

Also no recollection here, but it's obvious that I must have heard the term in the 80s.

Such a nice voice.

Yeah, that rings a bell.
Actually, they'd appeared in an Odd Couple episode, but the subject of them being Bobby and Cindy's stand-ins came up.

Maybe those movies are worth watching, after all. :rommie:
I had some exposure to them via TV or home video, though I don't recall sitting and watching them. They were a latter-day spoof of the series; part of the premise was that they took place in the present of the 1990s, but the Bradys were living in their own groovy little early-'70s bubble, out of step with the outside world.

In that case, the boys are in for further aerial adventures.
Or maybe they already aired that episode, whether or not it's on P+. An episode with a drunk pilot could explain Felix having developed a fear of flying...

I have no recollection of this at all, but I like that opening sequence and there's a few familiar names there.
Including no less than three Trek guests. The series used to come up in Decades Binges, though I'm not sure if it was ever in the regular line-up of a Weigel network.

Such a nice voice.
I was looking for footage of her at Woodstock when I came across that clip...as well as this, which I don't remember from the home video release, but it's been decades since I watched it:
I own it on VHS, but my early-2000s-vintage big-ass CRT TV with built-in DVD player and VCR finally shit the bed.

Speaking of Woodstock, somebody writing the headline and captions screwed up.

Ah, here we go...
She played at 1-ish a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 16, between Ravi Shankar and Arlo Guthrie.

Last edited:
Actually, they'd appeared in an Odd Couple episode, but the subject of them being Bobby and Cindy's stand-ins came up.
I don't remember that part, but I remember back-of-the-head shots and working restrictions.

They were a latter-day spoof of the series; part of the premise was that they took place in the present of the 1990s, but the Bradys were living in their own groovy little early-'70s bubble, out of step with the outside world.
The Munsters, The Addams Family, and The Brady Bunch. :rommie:

Or maybe they already aired that episode, whether or not it's on P+. An episode with a drunk pilot could explain Felix having developed a fear of flying...
I'm pretty sure the episode was "The Calypso Singer" and Vito Scotti played the pilot, but I don't have time to look further right now. :rommie:

Including no less than three Trek guests.
And Joan Blondell, an icon since the pre-Code era.

I was looking for footage of her at Woodstock when I came across that clip...as well as this, which I don't remember from the home video release, but it's been decades since I watched it:
Is that Bowser? :rommie:

I'm guessing either AI or English as a second language. :rommie:

She played at 1-ish a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 16, between Ravi Shankar and Arlo Guthrie.
That's cool. She's not somebody I normally associate with Woodstock.

50 Years Ago This Week

January 27
  • Three days before the second anniversary of the Bloody Sunday massacre of 13 civilians by British troops, 4,000 people participated in a peaceful protest march, organized by the Provisional Irish Republican Army. The march through Derry in Northern Ireland followed the route of the 1972 march.
  • The United States observed National MIA Awareness Day, proclaimed by President Nixon to mark the first anniversary of the Paris Peace Accords and to acknowledge Americans who had become missing in action in the Vietnam War.

January 28
  • The siege by the Israeli Army of the city of Suez, in Egypt, ended at noon local time. Israeli troops withdrew, clearing the way for the 20,000 troops of the Egyptian 3rd Army to return home. The Egyptian troops had been trapped since October behind enemy lines on the east bank of the Suez Canal after having retaken part of the Sinai peninsula early in the Yom Kippur War.
  • The rematch of former heavyweight boxing champions Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Ali won by unanimous decision after the fighters completed 12 rounds. What was described by one reporter as "the most ballyhooed non-title fight in history" was a reversal of Frazier's victory over Ali on March 8, 1971.

January 30
  • The crash of Pan Am Flight 806 killed 97 of the 101 people on board. The jet was making its approach to Pago Pago International Airport in American Samoa when a microburst-induced wind shear brought it down during its landing. The accident happened at 11:41 pm local time (1041 UTC on 31 January). Almost all the deaths were due to a fire that broke out after the crash.
  • U.S. President Richard Nixon delivered the State of the Union Address to the 93rd United States Congress. Referring to what he described as "the so-called Watergate affair", Nixon said, "I believe the time has come to bring that investigation and the other investigations of this matter to an end. One year of Watergate is enough." Near the end of the speech, Nixon stated: "I want you to know that I have no intention whatever of ever walking away from the job that the people elected me to do for the people of the United States." Nixon would resign the presidency on August 9 after a tape recording showed that he had ordered a cover-up of the investigation of the Watergate scandal.
  • Murray Chotiner, 64, American attorney and confidant of U.S. President Nixon, died of complications from injuries sustained a week earlier in a January 23 automobile accident. In September 1952, when Nixon was accused of wrongdoing as running mate of Dwight D. Eisenhower, Chotiner had destroyed a letter of resignation that Nixon had directed him to deliver. Instead, Chotiner advised Nixon to speak to the U.S. public on national TV. Nixon went on to be elected as Vice President of the United States.

January 31
  • The South Vietnamese government and the Viet Cong announced that they would resume prisoner of war exchanges on February 8, after a suspension of seven months.
  • A Pentagon spokesman announced that the United States Air Force was dropping charges against Capt. Donald Dawson, who had refused to fly a bombing mission over Cambodia after the signing of the Vietnam peace agreement. He was granted conscientious objector status and would be honorably discharged the following month.
  • Died: Samuel Goldwyn (born Szmuel Gelfisz), 94, Polish-born American film producer, co-founder of Goldwyn Pictures, which later merged with two other companies to form MGM Studios

February 1
  • A fire killed 177 people and injured 293 others in the 23-story Joelma Building at São Paulo in Brazil. Another 11 later died of their injuries. The blaze began on the 12th floor of the building, apparently from a short-circuit in a faulty air conditioner.
  • Acting without authority from the Brazilian government, British detectives captured master thief Ronald Biggs in Rio de Janeiro at the Hotel Trocadero on the Copacabana Beach. Biggs, who had been sentenced to 30 years imprisonment for the "great train robbery" of 1963, had been living in Brazil under the alias Michael Haynes and working as a carpenter after escaping from prison in 1965.
  • In the U.S., Lynda Ann Healy, a 21-year-old student at the University of Washington in Seattle, disappeared from her basement apartment and was subsequently killed, becoming the earliest of at least 30 women murdered by serial killer Ted Bundy.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand
2. "You're Sixteen," Ringo Starr
3. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
4. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson
5. "Americans," Byron MacGregor
6. "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips
7. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John
8. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin
9. "The Joker," Steve Miller Band
10. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford
11. "Smokin' in the Boys Room," Brownsville Station
12. "Time in a Bottle," Jim Croce
13. "Living for the City," Stevie Wonder
14. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
15. "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up," Barry White
16. "Me and Baby Brother," War
17. "Rock On," David Essex
18. "Put Your Hands Together," The O'Jays
19. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks
20. "Helen Wheels," Paul McCartney & Wings
21. "The Most Beautiful Girl," Charlie Rich
22. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones
23. "I Love," Tom T. Hall
24. "Livin' for You," Al Green
25. "Midnight Rider," Gregg Allman

27. "Last Time I Saw Him," Diana Ross

29. "Love Song," Anne Murray
30. "Joy, Pt. 1," Isaac Hayes
31. "Let Your Hair Down," The Temptations
32. "Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)," Helen Reddy
33. "Baby Come Close," Smokey Robinson
34. "When I Fall in Love" / "Are You Lonesome Tonight", Donny Osmond
35. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," Elton John
36. "Sexy Mama," The Moments

38. "Walk Like a Man," Grand Funk
39. "Top of the World," Carpenters
40. "Dark Lady," Cher
41. "Sister Mary Elephant (Shudd-Up!)," Cheech & Chong
42. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King

46. "Rockin' Roll Baby," The Stylistics

49. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
50. "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
51. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
52. "Hello It's Me," Todd Rundgren

54. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier
55. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades

57. "If You're Ready (Come Go with Me)," The Staple Singers

60. "Mind Games," John Lennon

64. "Just You 'n' Me," Chicago
65. "Raised on Robbery," Joni Mitchell
66. "You Sure Love to Ball," Marvin Gaye
67. "There Won't Be Anymore," Charlie Rich

69. "Mighty Love, Pt. 1," The Spinners

75. "Jessica," The Allman Brothers Band

77. "Sunshine on My Shoulders," John Denver
78. "D'yer Mak'er," Led Zeppelin
79. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
80. "Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor
81. "American Tune," Paul Simon

85. "Jolene," Dolly Parton
86. "Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack

96. "Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient
97. "The Real Me," The Who

Leaving the chart:
  • "Come Get to This," Marvin Gaye (13 weeks)
  • "I Got a Name," Jim Croce (17 weeks)
  • "The Love I Lost (Pt. 1)," Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes (18 weeks)
  • "My Music," Loggins & Messina (13 weeks)

New on the chart:

"The Real Me," The Who
(#92 US)

"Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient
(#10 US; #42 AC; #8 R&B; #27 UK)

"Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack
(#10 US; #1 R&B)

"Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor
(#5 US; #10 AC; #34 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Adam-12, "Taking It Easy"
  • Hawaii Five-O, "Murder with a Golden Touch"
  • Ironside, "Terror on Grant Avenue"
  • All in the Family, "Gloria's Boyfriend"
  • M*A*S*H, "As You Were"
  • Emergency!, "The Hard Hours"
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Better Late...That's a Pun...Than Never"
  • The Bob Newhart Show, "Mind Your Own Business"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month.

_______

I'm pretty sure the episode was "The Calypso Singer" and Vito Scotti played the pilot, but I don't have time to look further right now. :rommie:
Ah, yes, I recall that one...it's not available on P+, but I was recording the missing episodes from cable Decades at the time.

The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread | Page 287 | The Trek BBS
Felix has difficulty on the small plane ride that's their last leg of the trip to the island of Jacaloma.
I don't recall the details but that could actually provide a reasonable explanation for Felix having developed a fear of flying, had the episode about it bothered to connect the dots.

RJDiogenes said:
Is that Bowser? :rommie:
Who else could it be? Sha Na Na were already a thing even before this...they were also at Woodstock.

That's cool. She's not somebody I normally associate with Woodstock.
Well, her experience there was what "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" was about...and the association was played up heavily in coverage of her death.

Last edited:
The rematch of former heavyweight boxing champions Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
Casual dress.

Nixon said, "I believe the time has come to bring that investigation and the other investigations of this matter to an end. One year of Watergate is enough."
"Watergate is so 1973."

when Nixon was accused of wrongdoing as running mate of Dwight D. Eisenhower, Chotiner had destroyed a letter of resignation that Nixon had directed him to deliver.
Well, there's a branching point in the Multiverse.

A Pentagon spokesman announced that the United States Air Force was dropping charges against Capt. Donald Dawson, who had refused to fly a bombing mission over Cambodia after the signing of the Vietnam peace agreement. He was granted conscientious objector status and would be honorably discharged the following month.
That's an interesting story.

Acting without authority from the Brazilian government, British detectives captured master thief Ronald Biggs in Rio de Janeiro at the Hotel Trocadero on the Copacabana Beach.
The Defence Secretary disavowed all knowledge.

"The Real Me," The Who
Well, it's The Who.

"Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient
Sounds more like a secondary ingredient.

"Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack
I have no memory of this at all.

"Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor
Now there's a classic.

Ah, yes, I recall that one...it's not available on P+, but I was recording the missing episodes from cable Decades at the time.
I even posted the same quote. :rommie:

I don't recall the details but that could actually provide a reasonable explanation for Felix having developed a fear of flying, had the episode about it bothered to connect the dots.
If there's continuity, it must be an accident. :rommie:

Who else could it be? Sha Na Na were already a thing even before this...they were also at Woodstock.
Another act I wouldn't normally associate with Woodstock, although I think I did know this at some point, now that I dwell on it.

Well, her experience there was what "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" was about...and the association was played up heavily in coverage of her death.
Very interesting. I don't think I knew that. Now I'm wondering how many songs there are that are actually about Woodstock. I can think of two, including this one. :rommie:

"Watergate is so 1973."
As, we will see, is Nixon. :p

Well, it's The Who.
Low praise coming from you. :p

Sounds more like a secondary ingredient.
ZING! I got nothing to add.

I have no memory of this at all.
Nor I, and I just listened to it yesterday.

Now there's a classic.
The one I'd self-consciously turn down when I was listening to her hits CD in my car.

I even posted the same quote. :rommie:
Heh.

If there's continuity, it must be an accident. :rommie:
Indeed.

Another act I wouldn't normally associate with Woodstock, although I think I did know this at some point, now that I dwell on it.
I don't recall if a clip of them came up in the film, but I'm pretty sure their appearance was mentioned when I was reviewing it for the 50th anniversary. Apparently they'd just formed in '69; and FWIW, they've got an album on the chart at this point in '74.

Very interesting. I don't think I knew that. Now I'm wondering how many songs there are that are actually about Woodstock. I can think of two, including this one. :rommie:
I'm sure we're thinking about the same one. Alas, a quick browse doesn't help, as it just gets results for songs from Woodstock.

Of those two known songs, Melanie was the writer who was actually there.

As, we will see, is Nixon. :p
:rommie:

Low praise coming from you. :p
I didn't really mean it to sound that way. It's a good song, just not one of their blockbusters.

The one I'd self-consciously turn down when I was listening to her hits CD in my car.
It's one of only two James Taylor songs that I like, unless I'm forgetting something, the other being "Mexico."

I don't recall if a clip of them came up in the film, but I'm pretty sure their appearance was mentioned when I was reviewing it for the 50th anniversary. Apparently they'd just formed in '69; and FWIW, they've got an album on the chart at this point in '74.
And that's probably where I heard about it. My main memory of Sha Na Na is their syndicated half-hour TV show, which is probably on the air in the time frame we're doing now. I didn't go out of my way to watch it, but I remember my Mother having it on the little TV in the kitchen while we were eating or doing the dishes or whatever.

I'm sure we're thinking about the same one. Alas, a quick browse doesn't help, as it just gets results for songs from Woodstock.
I also did a quick browse and ran into the same problem, although "Who'll Stop The Rain" seems to fall into that category.

Of those two known songs, Melanie was the writer who was actually there.
True, I did know about that.

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing

_______

Adam-12
"North Hollywood Division"
Originally aired January 22, 1974
Wiki said:
Reed is assigned to write an article about Malloy for the LAPD Beat magazine, but is having trouble with the content. Calls include a gas station "robbery", a domestic dispute involving a barking poodle, a woman who tries to get her husband arrested, and a pursuit with a liquor store robber that ends with the suspect barricading himself in a garage.

We see Mac asking an exhausted Reed if he's gotten info about Pete that Public Affairs is asking about. On patrol, Jim explains that he volunteered to write a profile of Pete for LAPD Beat. The officers happen upon what appear to be gun-firing robbers driving out of a gas station and pursue. They eventually run the car down and make the driver, Daniel Wilson (James Rosin), get out and spread out on the ground. Wilson explains that the shots they heard were the gas station attendant firing at him. They cuff Wilson and take him back to the gas station, where they question the attendant (Johnny Haymer), who says that he fired at the customer for driving off with a dollar's worth of gas that he didn't pay for. The attendant is informed that he'll be charged for ADW...and that if he were a better shot, it could have been murder. Wilson explains to the officers that he lost all his money in a poker game and needed gas to get home.

Afterward Jim further informs Pete that the article is for his tenth anniversary on the force. I'm pretty sure he was supposed to have been an eight-year veteran back in the first episode, but the show was playing pretty fast and loose with the passage of time in its first couple of years at least...particularly where Reed's probationary period was concerned. Jim asks for verification regarding their next call, to investigate a possible lion in a backyard.

Dispatcher: One-Adam-Twelve, roger. Lion. Lincoln-Ida-Ocean-Nora.​

The officers are met by a Sheila Turman (Virginia Vincent), whose poodle, Herbie, is frightened by the roaring of a lion coming from the backyard of her neighbor, Abner Hempel (Vic Perrin). It turns out that he's only been playing a recording--enhanced by some remote tree limb shaking--to shut the poodle up...but he admits that the roaring has been driving him just as crazy as the barking. The officers encourage him to try making friends with Herbie, so he approaches Turman, who's impressed at his apparently having tamed a lion, and the two start to hit it off...without Hempel or the officers letting her in on the truth.

Jim's asking Pete about his background when Pete gets out to help what appears to be an attractive young lady having car trouble, but it turns out she was just helping a less attractive lady having car trouble. The officers are then assigned to a 415 domestic dispute between a married couple, Joe and Helen Dugan (William Campbell doing the Mark VII rounds with Chanin Hale). Helen wants the officers to take Joe away because he's been a jobless gambler for most of the twelve years they've been married. When they explain that this is a matter for lawyers and they have no cause to arrest him, she opens a drawer to reveal bags full of narcotics. The officers arrest both of them for possession, and Mrs. Dugan protests at being informed that their unseen children will be placed in protective custody.

Mrs. Dugan: You can't do that to my kids!
Malloy: We didn't, Mrs. Dugan, you did.​

Back on patrol, Jim's threatening to turn over the article to Wells if Pete isn't more cooperative when a car speeds through an intersection in front of the unit and the officers pursue. They're informed during the chase that the vehicle is wanted in connection with a 211 at a liquor store. When the car is blocked in an alley and the driver gets out to continue on foot, Malloy jumps out of the car for a change to pursue him, giving Reed a rare but brief opportunity to drive. Jim catches up with Pete outside of a residential garage that the armed suspect has holed himself up in. When a woman drives up in a station wagon (Gina Alvarado, I presume) and informs Reed that it's her house, Jim asks to use the garage door opener clipped to her visor. The officers take up positions beside the garage and Reed hits the button, catching the robber unprepared.

In the coda, Pete informs Jim in the locker room that the magazine has decided to drop the profile in favor of a article about a new police station being built.

_______

Hawaii Five-O
"Death with Father"
Originally aired January 22, 1974
Wiki said:
A retired narcotics agent's (Andrew Duggan) son (Peter Strauss) is suspected of manufacturing heroin. This was the first episode to be directed by Jack Lord.

A gas-masked figure is doing the manufacturing with the help of an assistant named Ernie Fallon (Richard Rivera) at that observation/transmitter station location or whatever it is that seems to get used a lot when Five-O and HPD surround the place. Armed guards outside open fire and are taken out by HPD snipers; then Fallon is wounded trying to escape, while the chemist gets away in a pickup truck. Questioned in the hospital, Fallon identifies the chemist as Tom Morgan (Strauss)...whom McGarrett knows as the son of Cliff Morgan (Duggan). Steve goes to see Cliff on his drink machine, where Morgan expresses his resentment at having been kicked off the force just ahead of retirement for not being on board with suspects having rights. Morgan can't believe that his son, a four-year vet and chemistry student, is involved, but proceeds to roughly search Tom before taking him to McGarrett's office. Tom has a story about having been approached for illicit reasons by Fallon a few months prior; and McGarrett's suspicions are raised on the dubious basis that Tom identifies Fallon from a mugshot photo of him sporting a thick mustache that he's been confirmed not to have had at the time.

Tom receives a visit from his girlfriend, Janice Wu (Luella Costello), who's upset at what she's figured he's involved in from the story in the paper. He strongarms her to support his alibi at having been working the school chem lab at the time of the bust, literally smacking her. (Apple, tree.) She's later found OD'ed on 'ludes in her apartment by Danno and dies in the ambulance. Meanwhile, a hitman disguised as hospital staff gives Fallon a fatal shot with what appears to be the Five-O Special--we only get a good look at the silencer. And Ben tails Tom to photograph him from afar having a meeting with a pair of shady figures (Kwan Hi Lim and Seth Sakai), who insist that Tom set up another factory because they've got more raw stock that needs processing--that end of things being so rare on the islands that Five-O finds it intriguing. Tom's subsequently identified at having bought items of interest at a junkyard.

Steve and Danno bring the photos to Cliff's place (For a guy bellyaching about not getting full pension, he doesn't seem to be living worse for the wear.) and inform him that the men Tom's meeting have been identified as top Asian dealers Lee Song and Luu Se Ngu. Cliff continues to defend his son, but Steve argues that the best thing for Tom's own safety would be to get him behind bars. Cliff then confronts Tom, roughing him up again. Tom explains how he had a little speed lab going when the gangsters found and conscripted him; and expresses his issues with his father, which drove him to a lack of concern for his own life in 'Nam, and then caused him to develop a wish to hurt his father. Cliff offers to destroy the evidence against Tom and get him out of the country, and Tom accepts. Cliff subsequently phones in a diversionary errand for Phil Tallman (Bernard Ching), the officer manning the HPD property room; breaks in and steals the $5 million worth of smack in the evidence locker; then makes it look like the locker was busted into more sloppily than it was and slips out past the returning Tallman.

McGarrett sniffs out that it was Cliff's work and confronts him about it, sharing that Five-O has determined--via forensic evidence apparently at the old processing site--the area in which Tom has set up a new lab in a cabin. Persuaded to cooperate for Tom's safety, Cliff is wired with a bug and calls Song to offer him his junk back in exchange for being taken to see his son where he's working. In the cabin, Cliff reveals that he's brought $1 million worth of the goods, and will send the rest annually over four years as insurance for Tom's safety. When Song has taken the bag, Five-O and HPD move in and surround the place, successfully calling for the armed guards outside and then the drug lords to surrender. The Morgans linger behind in the cabin, Tom expressing his disappointment that his father didn't go through with breaking the law for him while fiddling with some gas valves that he'd just been warning his new assistant about. Cliff's trying to convince his son otherwise when Tom pulls out and uses an igniter, sending the lab up in a fireball.

Also in the guest list is Not That George Kennedy as a Lt. Parish, though I didn't catch which character that was. Possibly a plainclothes cop that McGarrett talks to at the evidence locker.

_______

The Brady Bunch
"Welcome Aboard"
Originally aired January 25, 1974
Wiki said:
Carol's nephew, Oliver (Robbie Rist), comes to live with the Bradys while his parents are in South America. He nearly wears out his welcome when he is involved in a series of minor accidents in his eagerness to help out.

When Mike comes home, Carol informs him that there's going to be an addition to the family--deliberately letting Mike get the wrong idea, but before she explains, Bobby and Cindy overhear and the fake news spreads through the household. The kids are filled in before Oliver arrives and seem eager to make him feel like part of the family. But in his own eagerness to contribute, Oliver accidentally pounds ketchup onto Greg's shirt; causes Bobby to break some planters in a tug of war; ruins Carol's knitting; and causes a couple of other mishaps that are heard about but not shown. He also snores, to Peter and Bobby's annoyance. Oliver overhears as the younger kids try to convince Greg and Marcia that they've been stuck with a jinx.

Carol learns of this when she finds that Oliver's moved into the Tiger Memorial Doghouse. She and Mike give Oliver an encouraging talking-to, and the younger four of the other kids a corrective one. The others try to make him feel more included in activities, but in a basketball game with the other boys he makes a toss that causes multiple mishaps, ending with breaking a building model of Mike's inside the house.

Still thinking that he's a jinx, Oliver doesn't want to come on a weekend tour of a movie studio, but Carol coaxes everyone to say that they won't go if he doesn't. At the studio, the tour manager, Jim Douglas (John Nolan), informs the Bradys that the ninth member of their party--which is Oliver because Alice is there but Mike isn't--is the studio's one millionth customer, winning them the prize of appearing as extras in a Marathon Studio movie. The film in question is described as a "take-off" of an old-time silent movie, so the Brady party is dressed in period costumes to react as onlookers at a pie fight involving a couple of truck drivers who've had a accident and a keystone cop (Dick Winslow, Ralph Montgomery, and Snag Werris). When Alice becomes collateral damage, it leads to an improvised pie fight between the Bradys. An untouched Oliver is enjoying the spectacle when Carol welcomes him to the family by leading the others to gang up on him...and the director (Judd Laurance) gets some, too.

In the coda, Oliver informs Alice that he plans to put a lizard in Bobby's bed for making Oliver do his chores.

_______

Emergency!
"How Green Was My Thumb?"
Originally aired January 26, 1974
Wiki and Frndly said:
Roy takes care of a young woman's (Leigh Christian) plants while she is hospitalized. Doctors remove an explosive grenade lodged in a man's abdomen and battle with religious fanatics who refuse treatment for their daughter.

Unfortunately, my recording of this one is faulty, so I'll have to watch for another airing and come back to it when I can.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
"Best of Enemies"
Wiki said:
Mary and Rhoda's friendship takes serious damage when Rhoda reveals a secret about Mary's past to the office.

Seems like Rhoda's getting involved with Mary's work life a little too much lately. She's just itching to be sent packing back to New York, isn't she? Rhoda comes into the newsroom to return the keys to Mary's car, starts gabbing about something that happened to her at work, and it leads to her dropping a reference to how Mary lied on her job application for WJM--Jesus, talk about no common sense! It turns out that Mary only went to college for two years and isn't a graduate as she'd claimed...and Rhoda presses the issue, trying to prove that it's not a big deal, which brings the matter to Lou's attention. The reveal only turns out to be worth a little ribbing from the newsroom staff, but Mary expresses how upset she is to Rhoda not just for sharing it, but for her insensitivity in the matter. Murray ends up driving Mary home and she frets about whether she was wrong. The next day she apologizes to her coworkers for the scene she was a part of, and Lou takes Mary into his office to explain that he hired her for reasons other than what was on her application (including saying "excuse me" when she bumped into an unoccupied desk).

After Mary and Rhoda have been avoiding each other for days, Georgette drops by Mary's prior to going up to Rhoda's for dinner, and expresses her desire to do something to get the two of them to make up. This continues up at Rhoda's (which is shown in an establishing shot to be in an attic-level tower beside and above Mary's place, whether or not it would actually fit there), where Georgette explains how Mary and Rhoda's friendship is like Pittsburgh, where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers meet to form the Ohio. When Mary has Lou over for dinner, he tries to break her out of her funk by telling a lame joke about Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs; and ends up having to uncomfortably comfort Mary while she's on the verge of tears about how others make light of her problems. Later Mary bumps into Rhoda in the stairway, and after Mary learns that a "hello" Georgette delivered after dinner was supposed to be from Rhoda, they make small talk about the garbage that they're each taking out...and Rhoda confesses that the bag she's carrying isn't really garbage, she was just using it as an excuse to run into Mary and to back out if things went bad. They end up hugging, making up, and going out for dinner.

After they return to Mary's, Ted drops in and sits the two of them down to chastise them into mending fences on Georgette's behalf, so they pretend to make up in front of him.

Ted (chuckling): I feel a little like Kissinger here...!​

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
"Clink Shrink"
Wiki said:
Bob gets a suspiciously expensive gift from a client (Henry Winkler) who is an ex-convict.

Isn't that cute? He was looking for work.
BN06.jpg

Bob's coming home after a rough Monday to settle down in front of the game when Emily informs him that he got a call from Joliet Prison. The official in charge of their rehabilitation program wants him to work with parolees--the catch being that it would be on Monday nights. Then Howard bursts in (wearing his usual uniform) because his apartment has been completely cleaned out. Would robbers really take every piece of furniture in the place--even a waterbed, which would have to be drained? Bob's reassuring Emily that their own lock is good enough when Howard bursts back in through it. At the office, everyone assumes that a tough-looking customer (Len Lesser) is Bob's first parolee, Miles Lascoe...but he's a Mr. Schwab, who's looking to get a nose job from one of the other doctors. When the real Lascoe arrives (Ayyyyy!), he proves to be much more mild-mannered and respectable-looking. (Whoa!)

Bob learns that Lascoe, who chats casually about life in the stir, is a two-time armed robber. When it comes up that Bob's concerned about missing football games on Mondays, Miles recommends that he get a videotape machine. Miles subsequently visits the Hartleys bearing a conspicuous gift for Bob--a videotape machine! (I didn't even know these were a thing in the '70s.) Bob's under the impression that it's hot, but Mile insists that he bought it. Bob brings the machine to their next session with the intention of returning it, and finds Miles cuffed to his parole officer, Mr. Coolidge (Russ Grieve). Miles explains that when he contacted some guys he knew to find out if they're the ones who robbed Howard's apartment, he got caught up in serving as the getaway driver for another bank robbery. He explains that he's like Fred Astaire in that he's gotta steal, because he can't dance.

In the coda, Bob's kept the machine, and Howard finds that his stuff has been returned by Lascoe's friends, despite his having already replaced it.

It turns out that Henry had previously guested in one of the MTMs that got skipped this season, "The Dinner Party" (Nov. 17, 1973).

_______

I didn't really mean it to sound that way. It's a good song, just not one of their blockbusters.
I'll probably get it, but I'm still not feeling it for getting the album.

My main memory of Sha Na Na is their syndicated half-hour TV show, which is probably on the air in the time frame we're doing now. I didn't go out of my way to watch it, but I remember my Mother having it on the little TV in the kitchen while we were eating or doing the dishes or whatever.
'77. It was on regularly in my house.

I also did a quick browse and ran into the same problem, although "Who'll Stop The Rain" seems to fall into that category.
Interesting...I didn't know that, but the reference is pretty brief.

Last edited:
Jim explains that he volunteered to write a profile of Pete for LAPD Beat.
Because he knew Pete would love that. :rommie:

he fired at the customer for driving off with a dollar's worth of gas that he didn't pay for.
Probably a couple of gallons in those days.

The attendant is informed that he'll be charged for ADW...and that if he were a better shot, it could have been murder.
I wonder what his actual intention was. Wound the guy? Shoot out his tires? Or was it just roadside rage?

Afterward Jim further informs Pete that the article is for his tenth anniversary on the force.
He seems more grizzled than that.

the show was playing pretty fast and loose with the passage of time in its first couple of years at least...particularly where Reed's probationary period was concerned.
Marvel Time. :rommie:

he approaches Turman, who's impressed at his apparently having tamed a lion, and the two start to hit it off...without Hempel or the officers letting her in on the truth.
This budding relationship is doomed. :rommie:

Pete gets out to help what appears to be an attractive young lady having car trouble, but it turns out she was just helping a less attractive lady having car trouble.
Please tell me it was Barbara Minkus. :rommie:

Helen wants the officers to take Joe away because he's been a jobless gambler for most of the twelve years they've been married.
"But I just won some guy's last dollar in a poker game."

When they explain that this is a matter for lawyers and they have no cause to arrest him, she opens a drawer to reveal bags full of narcotics.
Well, those two were made for each other. :rommie:

Jim's threatening to turn over the article to Wells if Pete isn't more cooperative
Good cop... bad cop... bad cop.....

Malloy jumps out of the car for a change to pursue him
"Ten years, but I can still run a foot pursuit with the best of them!"

The officers take up positions beside the garage and Reed hits the button, catching the robber unprepared.
Nice. :rommie:

Pete informs Jim in the locker room that the magazine has decided to drop the profile in favor of a article about a new police station being built.
Not that Pete has any friends on the staff or anything. :rommie:

at that observation/transmitter station location or whatever it is that seems to get used a lot when Five-O and HPD surround the place.
They should just station somebody there permanently.

his drink machine
Super groovy! :rommie:

Morgan expresses his resentment at having been kicked off the force just ahead of retirement for not being on board with suspects having rights.
Kind of amazing that he made it that far.

She's later found OD'ed on 'ludes in her apartment by Danno and dies in the ambulance.
Is this because she was upset, or is it implied murder?

a hitman disguised as hospital staff gives Fallon a fatal shot
Another hitman who gets away with murder.

(For a guy bellyaching about not getting full pension, he doesn't seem to be living worse for the wear.)
Good point. That should have raised McGarrett's suspicions.

and expresses his issues with his father, which drove him to a lack of concern for his own life in 'Nam
"From you! I learned it from you, dad!"

Cliff offers to destroy the evidence against Tom and get him out of the country, and Tom accepts.
He's actually a fairly nuanced character, actually.

makes it look like the locker was busted into more sloppily than it was and slips out past the returning Tallman.
At least he didn't try to frame him.

Cliff reveals that he's brought $1 million worth of the goods, and will send the rest annually over four years as insurance for Tom's safety.
Interesting plan that never would have worked.

The Morgans linger behind in the cabin, Tom expressing his disappointment that his father didn't go through with breaking the law for him while fiddling with some gas valves that he'd just been warning his new assistant about. Cliff's trying to convince his son otherwise when Tom pulls out and uses an igniter, sending the lab up in a fireball.
Whoa, that was unexpected and horrific. This sounds like it was a pretty good episode all together.

"Welcome Aboard"
Uh oh.... :rommie:

When Mike comes home, Carol informs him that there's going to be an addition to the family--deliberately letting Mike get the wrong idea
Well, that's pretty mean.

Oliver accidentally pounds ketchup onto Greg's shirt; causes Bobby to break some planters in a tug of war; ruins Carol's knitting; and causes a couple of other mishaps that are heard about but not shown. He also snores, to Peter and Bobby's annoyance. Oliver overhears as the younger kids try to convince Greg and Marcia that they've been stuck with a jinx.
Now we know why his parents went to live with some remote tribe in the Amazon.

the Tiger Memorial Doghouse.
Ouch. :rommie:

The film in question is described as a "take-off" of an old-time silent movie
I was going to joke about this and it turned out to be the actual plot. :rommie:

Carol welcomes him to the family by leading the others to gang up on him
Carol's kind of evil in this one.

Unfortunately, my recording of this one is faulty, so I'll have to watch for another airing and come back to it when I can.
Bummer. I want to see Brackett versus religious fanatics.

She's just itching to be sent packing back to New York, isn't she?
Or to the bottom of an icy Minnesota pond!

Jesus, talk about no common sense!
Yeah, that's pretty bad.

It turns out that Mary only went to college for two years and isn't a graduate as she'd claimed...
That's pretty bad, too. :rommie:

Lou takes Mary into his office to explain that he hired her for reasons other than what was on her application (including saying "excuse me" when she bumped into an unoccupied desk).
Plus, she had spunk, and he needed a worthy opponent with all those wimps around there.

up at Rhoda's (which is shown in an establishing shot to be in an attic-level tower beside and above Mary's place, whether or not it would actually fit there)
Rhoda Morganstern: Master of Feng Shui.

Georgette explains how Mary and Rhoda's friendship is like Pittsburgh, where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers meet to form the Ohio.
Georgette has a future as an unknown poet.

When Mary has Lou over for dinner, he tries to break her out of her funk by telling a lame joke about Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs
"My buddy Oscar Madison told me this one..."

she's on the verge of tears about how others make light of her problems.
You have pretty light problems, Mar. Mah. Meh. Mare. How would you spell Rhoda's nickname for Mary?

They end up hugging, making up, and going out for dinner.
They have seafood, as a payoff for the rivers flowing to the sea metaphor.

Ted (chuckling): I feel a little like Kissinger here...!
:rommie:

Isn't that cute? He was looking for work.
Still wet behind the ears-- and not with grease.

The official in charge of their rehabilitation program wants him to work with parolees--the catch being that it would be on Monday nights.
This seems very short notice and informal. :rommie:

Howard bursts in (wearing his usual uniform)
"I was chatting with the computer, it started saying something about Norman the coordinator, and suddenly I had my old job back!"

Would robbers really take every piece of furniture in the place--even a waterbed, which would have to be drained?
And they're in a high-rise, too. That's pretty ambitious.

Bob learns that Lascoe, who chats casually about life in the stir, is a two-time armed robber.
So Bob's purpose is to cure Lascoe of his criminal inclinations? Seems like that would be a specialty that Bob doesn't have.

a videotape machine! (I didn't even know these were a thing in the '70s.)
The earliest I remember them is around 1977. So VCRs are early and Sha Na Na is late-- this must have something to do with Oscar and Felix messing with the timeline.

Howard finds that his stuff has been returned by Lascoe's friends
That's pretty funny. :rommie:

'77. It was on regularly in my house.
That's weird. It feels like it should be earlier.

Interesting...I didn't know that, but the reference is pretty brief.
Seems legit, since it comes from a direct quote. I haven't had a chance to look for more yet.

Neither of you might not know who Bobby Womack is, but you might know him from this song.
Cool. That's a pretty good one. I had assumed it was a Stones original.

Neither of you might not know who Bobby Womack is, but you might know him from this song.
The name was familiar to me...apparently from that.

FWIW, it seems that the less memorable "Lookin' for a Love" was not written by Womack, but was originally recorded by his group the Valentinos in 1962:
(#72 US; #8 R&B)

And in 50th Anniversaryland, was recently covered as the first charting single and minor hit by the J. Geils Band:
(charted Dec. 1971; #39 US)

I wonder what his actual intention was. Wound the guy? Shoot out his tires? Or was it just roadside rage?
He was under the mistaken impression that he had the right to shoot at someone who stole from him. Filling station vigilante.

He seems more grizzled than that.
If the series were happening in real time, I guess it'd be about thirteen or so years, assuming I'm correctly remembering that it was eight in Season 1. And if he was an eight-year vet in '68, that would mean that fresh-out-the-academy rookie Malloy would have roughly coincided with the first season of Route 66.

Now if we were to go by the actors' relative ages, Milner was actually eleven years older than McCord.

This budding relationship is doomed. :rommie:
It was cute, and a type of beat that they'd done before, and recently--hooking up neighbors whose dispute was fueled by loneliness/romantic tension.

Please tell me it was Barbara Minkus. :rommie:
Afraid not.

They should just station somebody there permanently.
Indeed! And to make matters worse, I think this on Diamond Head, where they have Hawaii's high-security NORAD-style installation.

Super groovy! :rommie:
In case the name didn't ring a bell, Andrew Duggan is best known to us as General Britt on 12 O'Clock High.
12och87.jpg

Is this because she was upset, or is it implied murder?
Played as a despondency-fueled suicide.

Another hitman who gets away with murder.
Little fish, but maybe he was among those rounded up.

Good point. That should have raised McGarrett's suspicions.
Nothing was made of it, it just didn't connect story-wise.

Whoa, that was unexpected and horrific.
I only saw it coming when he started fiddling with the valves.

Well, where's he been...?

I was going to joke about this and it turned out to be the actual plot. :rommie:
:D

Carol's kind of evil in this one.
She was just being playful.

Bummer. I want to see Brackett versus religious fanatics.
Going by the description, it looks like we should be getting some good Brackett in the next one...and the recording plays.

"My buddy Oscar Madison told me this one..."
Now I'm picturing Lou and Mary as roommates...

You have pretty light problems, Mar. Mah. Meh. Mare. How would you spell Rhoda's nickname for Mary?
Closed captioning usually goes with Mare.

Still wet behind the ears-- and not with grease.
Sit on it, RJ!

And they're in a high-rise, too. That's pretty ambitious.
Yeah, I don't see how they could pull this off without posing as movers. FWIW, they made some jokes about the leaky waterbed as if the robbers would actually move it with the water...!

So Bob's purpose is to cure Lascoe of his criminal inclinations? Seems like that would be a specialty that Bob doesn't have.
I think it was more therapy to adjust to life on the outside.

That's weird. It feels like it should be earlier.
Maybe you were seeing Sha Na Na performing on other shows?

Seems legit, since it comes from a direct quote. I haven't had a chance to look for more yet.
If we want to split hairs, it's a case of a song with one verse inspired by Woodstock, compared to the other two songs in question being all about Woodstock.

Last edited:
And in 50th Anniversaryland, was recently covered as the first charting single and minor hit by the J. Geils Band:
Now that I'm familiar with-- I didn't even connect it with the previous version. :rommie:

He was under the mistaken impression that he had the right to shoot at someone who stole from him.
Live and learn. :rommie:

If the series were happening in real time, I guess it'd be about thirteen or so years, assuming I'm correctly remembering that it was eight in Season 1. And if he was an eight-year vet in '68, that would mean that fresh-out-the-academy rookie Malloy would have roughly coincided with the first season of Route 66.
Separated at birth. I wonder where his counterpart was by 68.

It was cute, and a type of beat that they'd done before, and recently--hooking up neighbors whose dispute was fueled by loneliness/romantic tension.
Love, Adam-12 Style.

In case the name didn't ring a bell, Andrew Duggan is best known to us as General Britt on 12 O'Clock High.
Aha, no, I did not make the connection.

Played as a despondency-fueled suicide.
I wonder how this figures into Tom's suicide, if at all. He didn't seem to much care, and she had little-to-no effect on the plot.

Little fish, but maybe he was among those rounded up.
That's true.

Well, where's he been...?
Yikes. Dead since season one, according to Wiki. All appearances after that are the Ghost of Tiger. :eek:

Now I'm picturing Lou and Mary as roommates...
Now that would have been an interesting development. Actually, I seem to remember an awkward attempt at romance, later in the series, after she moved to the new apartment.

Closed captioning usually goes with Mare.
Makes sense, although it makes me think of horses.

Sit on it, RJ!
:D

Yeah, I don't see how they could pull this off without posing as movers. FWIW, they made some jokes about the leaky waterbed as if the robbers would actually move it with the water...!
At least they resisted the temptation to throw it off the balcony like a giant water balloon. If Howard has a balcony. I don't remember seeing one in his apartment.

I think it was more therapy to adjust to life on the outside.
Right, that makes more sense.

Maybe you were seeing Sha Na Na performing on other shows?
I'm definitely remembering the show, because it was a fairly regular evening thing for a little while, and my vague memories match the Wiki description. It must be just the squishing time effect of old memories.

If we want to split hairs, it's a case of a song with one verse inspired by Woodstock, compared to the other two songs in question being all about Woodstock.
Beggars can't be choosers. :rommie:

Now that I'm familiar with-- I didn't even connect it with the previous version. :rommie:
I didn't realize it was so well known.

Love, Adam-12 Style.
Pretty much.

I wonder how this figures into Tom's suicide, if at all. He didn't seem to much care, and she had little-to-no effect on the plot.
I think his treatment of her pretty much showed how brutal and callous he was.

Yikes. Dead since season one, according to Wiki. All appearances after that are the Ghost of Tiger. :eek:
I didn't realize he'd been gone that long.

At least they resisted the temptation to throw it off the balcony like a giant water balloon. If Howard has a balcony. I don't remember seeing one in his apartment.
BN07.jpg
Howard noted that they took his plastic lawn furniture...and his plastic lawn.

I didn't realize it was so well known.
Possibly it gets more airplay around here, since they're a local band and very popular. I can take 'em or leave 'em alone, personally. And I'll never forgive them for "must OF got lost." :rommie:

I think his treatment of her pretty much showed how brutal and callous he was.
That makes sense, which means her suicide had no effect on his.

I didn't realize he'd been gone that long.
It's like he's still with us. :(

View attachment 38435
Howard noted that they took his plastic lawn furniture...and his plastic lawn.
So he does have a balcony. I was picturing it differently, based on a dim memory of a party he had once. I forget what was going on, but I think everybody was wearing a costume.

50 Years Ago This Week

February 4
  • In one of the most famous kidnappings in U.S. history, three members of the left-wing terrorist Symbionese Liberation Army kidnapped 19-year-old Patty Hearst, a granddaughter of newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, from her apartment in Berkeley, California. At 9:30 p.m., two African-American men (one of whom was Donald DeFreeze) and a white woman invaded the Berkeley, California apartment of Hearst, a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of California. Hearst's fiancé Steven Weed and a neighbor were beaten, and gunshots were fired at nearby witnesses as the group loaded Hearst into the trunk of a car in the apartment's parking garage.
  • In the United Kingdom, the bombing of a bus killed nine soldiers and three civilians (including two children) and injured 38 others. The bus was traveling on the M62 motorway in England when the bomb, hidden in the luggage compartment, exploded near Batley, West Yorkshire, at 12:30 in the morning. The bombing was carried out by the Provisional Irish Republican Army, but the identity of the specific perpetrator or perpetrators remains unknown. Judith Ward was wrongfully convicted of the bombing in November 1974; her conviction was overturned in 1992.
  • War resumed between Syria and Israel, with a group of 500 Cuban soldiers joining a Syrian tank division at Mount Hermon in Syria, and then proceeding to battle in the Golan Heights, formerly Syrian territory occupied by Israel since the 1967 Six-Day War. The fighting lasted until a ceasefire was agreed upon on May 31.

February 5
  • The U.S. space probe Mariner 10, launched on November 3, made the first successful broadcast to Earth of images of the planet Venus, starting with the transmission of 4,165 photographs. At 17:01 UTC, it made its closest approach, coming within 3,584 miles (5,768 km) of Venus, then proceeded toward the planet Mercury (which it would reach on March 29).
  • Dr. Raymond Damadian received U.S. Patent No. 3,789,832 for his invention of a proposed "Apparatus and method for detecting cancer in tissue" using nuclear magnetic resonance, after applying on March 13, 1972. The patent didn't described a means of scanning, but not of generating images from a scan, the basis for the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner. [Something got garbled there.]

February 6
  • The U.S. House of Representatives voted almost unanimously, 410 to 4, to grant the bipartisan House Judiciary Committee the power to subpoena any witness in its inquiry on whether to impeach U.S. President Richard Nixon. A Republican amendment that would have set a deadline of April 30 for any impeachment inquiry failed by a vote of 70 to 342.
  • The science fantasy film Zardoz, directed by John Boorman and starring Sean Connery, opened in Los Angeles and New York City.

February 7
  • At one minute after midnight, the Caribbean island of Grenada became independent of the United Kingdom after 210 years as a British colony. Eric Gairy became the nation's first Prime Minister, while former colonial governor Leo de Gale became the nation's first Governor-General.
  • Produced by Mel Brooks, the popular satire of movie westerns, Blazing Saddles, had its world premiere in Burbank, California, at the Pickwick Drive-in Theater for 250 invited guests who rode in on horseback rather than in cars, before being released to other U.S. theaters during the winter and spring.

February 8
  • After a record 84 days in orbit, the crew of the fourth Skylab mission — astronauts Gerald Carr, Edward Gibson and William Pogue — returned to Earth. Seventy-six minutes after the 84-day mark, the Apollo space capsule separated from the space station and landed in the Pacific Ocean 176 miles (283 km) southwest of the U.S. coast, and was recovered by the amphibious assault ship USS New Orleans (LPH-11). The recovery was the first splashdown of a crewed NASA spacecraft since 1966 not to be broadcast live on U.S. television.
  • The popular TV sitcom Good Times premiered on CBS as the first TV show about a two-parent African-American family. The show was a spin-off of Maude (which in turn had been spun off from All in the Family, making Good Times the first "spin-off from a spin-off", with all three shows created by Norman Lear and Bud Yorkin). Esther Rolle brought her role of Florida Evans from Maude and was joined by John Amos as her husband, but actor Jimmie Walker would become the most popular character.
  • North Vietnam and South Vietnam resumed their exchange of prisoners of war for the first time since July. A group of 199 Viet Cong guerrillas was transported by a South Vietnamese Army helicopter from Bien Hoa Air Base to the South Vietnamese town of Lộc Ninh, which was under Communist control.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
2. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand
3. "You're Sixteen," Ringo Starr
4. "Americans," Byron MacGregor
5. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin
6. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John
7. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford
8. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson
9. "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips
10. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
11. "The Joker," Steve Miller Band
12. "Smokin' in the Boys Room," Brownsville Station
13. "Rock On," David Essex
14. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks
15. "Put Your Hands Together," The O'Jays
16. "Living for the City," Stevie Wonder
17. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones
18. "Time in a Bottle," Jim Croce
19. "I Love," Tom T. Hall
20. "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up," Barry White
21. "Last Time I Saw Him," Diana Ross
22. "Midnight Rider," Gregg Allman
23. "Love Song," Anne Murray

25. "The Most Beautiful Girl," Charlie Rich

27. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
28. "Me and Baby Brother," War
29. "Baby Come Close," Smokey Robinson
30. "Joy, Pt. 1," Isaac Hayes
31. "Dark Lady," Cher
32. "Sexy Mama," The Moments
33. "Livin' for You," Al Green

36. "Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)," Helen Reddy
37. "Helen Wheels," Paul McCartney & Wings

39. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King
40. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone

42. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades

44. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier
45. "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
46. "Let Your Hair Down," The Temptations
47. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," Elton John
48. "Top of the World," Carpenters
49. "Rockin' Roll Baby," The Stylistics

51. "Sunshine on My Shoulders," John Denver
52. "When I Fall in Love" / "Are You Lonesome Tonight", Donny Osmond
53. "You Sure Love to Ball," Marvin Gaye
54. "There Won't Be Anymore," Charlie Rich
55. "Hello It's Me," Todd Rundgren

57. "Walk Like a Man," Grand Funk

59. "Mighty Love, Pt. 1," The Spinners

61. "Sister Mary Elephant (Shudd-Up!)," Cheech & Chong

66. "Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor
67. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
68. "If You're Ready (Come Go with Me)," The Staple Singers
69. "Jet," Paul McCartney & Wings
70. "Jessica," The Allman Brothers Band

76. "Raised on Robbery," Joni Mitchell

78. "Jolene," Dolly Parton

80. "Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack

89. "Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient

92. "The Real Me," The Who

96. "She's Gone," Daryl Hall & John Oates

Leaving the chart:
  • "American Tune," Paul Simon (10 weeks)
  • "D'yer Mak'er," Led Zeppelin (16 weeks)
  • "Just You 'n' Me," Chicago (19 weeks)
  • "Mind Games," John Lennon (13 weeks)

New on the chart:

"She's Gone," Daryl Hall & John Oates
(#60 US; #51 UK; rereleased in 1976, reaching #7 US, #6 AC, #93 R&B, #42 UK)

"Jet," Paul McCartney & Wings
(#7 US; #7 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Adam-12, "Krash"
  • Hawaii Five-O, "Nightmare in Blue"
  • Kung Fu, "In Uncertain Bondage"
  • Ironside, "Class of '40"
  • The Odd Couple, "Shuffling Off to Buffalo"
  • All in the Family, "Lionel's Engagement"
  • M*A*S*H, "Crisis"
  • Emergency!, "Floor Brigade"
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Ted Baxter Meets Walter Cronkite"
  • The Bob Newhart Show, "A Love Story"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month.

_______

It doesn't get much more classic or iconic than these three.
This week will also bring us a really big 60th anniversary for a classic and iconic foursome, but I'll save the clips I post every year for the day...

Last edited:
The U.S. space probe Mariner 10, launched on November 3, made the first successful broadcast to Earth of images of the planet Venus
No jungles or dinosaurs. :(

The patent didn't described a means of scanning, but not of generating images from a scan, the basis for the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner. [Something got garbled there.]
I think the writer needs an MRI. :rommie:

The U.S. House of Representatives voted almost unanimously
The hell you say! :rommie:

[The science fantasy film Zardoz, directed by John Boorman and starring Sean Connery, opened in Los Angeles and New York City.
Completely insane. If you like mondo bizarro psychotronic B-movies, as I do, get yourself a six-pack of Twisted Tea and some Chinese food and kick back for a lovely evening. :rommie:

Produced by Mel Brooks, the popular satire of movie westerns, Blazing Saddles, had its world premiere in Burbank, California, at the Pickwick Drive-in Theater for 250 invited guests who rode in on horseback rather than in cars, before being released to other U.S. theaters during the winter and spring.
Also completely insane, and hilarious. One of Brooks' two best movies (the other being... obvious :D).

actor Jimmie Walker would become the most popular character.
Which displeased John Amos quite a bit.

"She's Gone," Daryl Hall & John Oates
This is a goodie, although I remember it from the 1976 release.

"Jet," Paul McCartney & Wings
Also a good one. Solo McCartney in his peak era. My personal favorite should be coming up any minute now.

This week will also bring us a really big 60th anniversary for a classic and iconic foursome, but I'll save the clips I post every year for the day...
Hmm. It's not their first meeting with Doctor Doom. I wonder what it is. :shrug:

Back