The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

This sounds like a dry run for Keith Relf and Jim McCartney's next project, Renaissance, after they left The Yardbirds.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That could have been a single. I hear a little Cream in there.

I hear a little Herman's Hermits in there. :rommie:

That's a cute one.

Now that's really nice.

Another good one. Very folksy lyrics.

That was weird. It started out anticipating Ozzy and turned into a religious revival. :rommie:

It's not an album I'd listen to straight through, but it's got a couple of outstanding tracks.

Yeah, but that line has so many applications. :rommie:

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Not familiar with that.

We should be coming back around to them eventually...Fresh Cream is a recent album in 55th Anniversaryland.

Now that you mention it...

Now that you mention it...

Can't say that I'd have much motivation to put it on for casual listening.

4. DarrenTR1970

Renaissance - Kings and Queens (1970) - YouTube

@The Old Mixer @RJDiogenes

Renaissance was a progressive folk-rock group formed by Keith Relf and Jim McCartney after they left The Yardbirds. The first line-up lasted for an album and a tour before they broke up during the making of the second album. With Keith and Jim's permission, pianist John Hawkin recruited new members to complete the album and tour. John Hawkin left shortly thereafter and the new replacement members kept the Renaissance name and had major success in the UK.

5. The Old Mixer

DarrenTR1970 likes this.
  6. RJDiogenes

Cool. They created some amazing Art Rock.

That was enjoyable. Good quality video, too, for something over fifty years old.

Maybe there is a Rock'n'Roll Heaven. [​IMG]

7. DarrenTR1970

It is interesting sometimes to see what sort of musical directions band members will go when a group breaks up or goes on hiatus. Some try to keep the same sound, while others do a complete 180. A couple of good examples would be The Moody Blues and YES. Both bands took a hiatus, the Moodies after "Seventh Sojourn" and YES after "Relayer", to allow the band members to explore different musical avenues, and none of them produced albums that were anywhere close to their "classic" sound.

I purchased The Beatles documentary "Get Back" last night and watched a couple of episodes, and at one point and both George and John suggest that the band take a break for a while so everyone can do a solo album to get it out of their system, then get back together in a year or so. I wonder what would have happened if they had followed their own advice. Most likely, they would have gotten back together for a couple more albums before breaking up for good in the mid-seventies.

8. The Old Mixer

55 Years Ago This Week

July 16
    • Thirty-seven inmates were killed, and six severely injured, in an explosion and a fire at a prison camp near Jay, Florida. According to survivors, the accident happened after two convicts at Road Camp 12 began a fistfight and 49 other prisoners in the barracks watched. During the altercation, a natural gas line was broken and a fluorescent lamp ignited the gas, setting the wooden structure ablaze. One of the guards, A. O. Lovett, opened the locked barracks door and pushed five inmates out, despite minor burns. In all, ten of the 51 prisoners got outside, but two of them died of their injuries.
    • The Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Pasadena, California, lost contact with Surveyor 4 while the American lunar probe was making its descent to the Sinus Medii crater on the Moon. The spacecraft, launched three days earlier, "was supposed to demonstrate the soft-landing technology to be used on Apollo landers", stopped transmitting shortly before 9:00 pm California time (0500 UTC on July 17) when it was eight miles above the lunar surface, shortly before three small rockets were to have slowed it from 300 miles an hour to a soft landing, and was presumed to have crashed.

July 17
    • Two days after a renewed war between the United Arab Republic (Egypt) and Israel, both sides accepted a cease-fire proposal by the United Nations.
    • In Jacksonville, Florida, American photographer Rocco Morabito photographed Jacksonville Electric Authority lineworker J.D. Thompson giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to fellow lineman Randall Champion, who had contacted a 4,160-volt line. Champion survived and lived until 2002. Morabito's photo, titled The Kiss of Life, would win the 1968 Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography.
    • Less than three months after his April 23 escape from prison in Missouri, James Earl Ray crossed into Canada, eventually settling in Toronto, where he would steal the identities of three similar-looking men. Ray would obtain identifications and passports under the names of Toronto citizens Eric Galt, Paul Bridgman and Ramon Sneyd.
    • Died: John Coltrane, 40, African-American jazz composer and saxophonist, died of liver cancer

July 18
    • The discovery of the preserved ruins of an ancient Minoan civilization city was announced by a team of Greek and American archaeologists on the Greek island of Santorini, referred to in classic Greek literature as Thera. Akrotiri, located near the modern village of the same name, had been buried by a cataclysmic volcanic eruption estimated to have occurred around the year 1628 BC. The volcanic eruption may have been the inspiration of the legend of Atlantis, repeated by Plato in his dialogues Timaeus and Critias in the 4th Century BC.
    • Denis Healey, Minister of Defence for the United Kingdom, announced the closing of its military bases in Malaysia and Singapore, with half of its 80,000 troops to be pulled out by 1970, and a complete withdrawal by 1977.

July 19
    • Eighty-two people were killed in a collision between Piedmont Airlines Flight 22 and a Cessna 310 near Hendersonville, North Carolina. The Piedmont flight, with multiple stops, had originated in Atlanta with a final destination of Washington, D.C.; 52 passengers had boarded the Boeing 727 at Asheville including John T. McNaughton, who had been confirmed by the U.S. Senate as the U.S. Secretary of the Navy and who was scheduled to take office on August 1. The Piedmont flight took off at 11:58 a.m. with 74 passengers and a crew of five. The Cessna was piloted by David Addison who was approaching Asheville with two businessmen, but was 12 miles off of his planned flight path. At an altitude of 4,000 feet, at 12:01:18 pm, the two planes collided "nose to nose" and went down together as a single piece of wreckage which continued for another minute before it exploded; according to one eyewitness, bodies inside were "falling like confetti".
    • A race riot broke out in the north side of Minneapolis, on Plymouth Avenue, during the Minneapolis Aquatennial parade. Businesses were vandalized and fires were set, but the disturbance was quelled within hours. The next day a shooting set off another incident in the same area that would lead to the setting of 18 fires, the injury of 25 people, and damages totaling $4.2 million, and violent incidents would occur there again over the next two weeks.

July 20
    • Organized crime boss John Roselli was arrested as the FBI brought an end to one of the most sophisticated card-cheating operations in American history, conducted at the Friars Club of California and causing hundreds of thousands of dollars to be swindled from various members of the club. Over a period of five years, Tony Martin, Zeppo Marx, and Phil Silvers were among wealthy celebrities who lost $10,000 or more in games of gin rummy, to opponents who were aided by signals from a person hiding above an air vent.
    • Chilean poet Pablo Neruda was awarded the first Viareggio-Versile prize.
    • Died: U.S. Army Maj. Don Steinbrunner, 35, American NFL offensive tackle in 1953, was killed in Vietnam, along with four other people, when his plane was shot down over Kon Tum Province.
    • George Harrison and Pattie Boyd, with Ringo Starr, fly to Greece, with an idea that the Beatles might buy an island there. They don't.

July 21
    • The town of Winneconne, Wisconsin, announced secession from the state of Wisconsin (though not from the United States) because it had not been included in the official maps in an omission from the map "blamed on an artist's oversight", and issued a mock declaration of war. The events, which included the raising of a "state flag" took place while tourists were in town to watch the "midwest regional outboard motor boat races". Town Mayor James Coughlin was named "president" of the new American state, and town chamber of commerce leader Vera Kitchen was proclaimed "prime minister". The secession, which "proved a financial success for the community" ended on July 23 at noon. On August 15, the Wisconsin Highway Commission would announce that it would print a new map in 1968 that would include Winneconne.
    • Died: Basil Rathbone, 75, South African-born British stage, film and radio actor best known for his portrayal of detective Sherlock Holmes in 14 films between 1939 and 1947, died of a heart attack.

July 22
    • Explorer 35, launched by the United States to study and measure "the shadowing effect of the moon on solar electrons", entered lunar orbit and began sending back data. Although its instruments would be switched off by 1973, Explorer 35 would still be orbiting the Moon half a century later.
    • Paul McCartney and Jane Asher, with John, Cynthia and Julian Lennon, fly to Greece from London Airport.
    • Died: Carl Sandburg, 89, American poet, author, and winner of three Pulitzer Prizes

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Groovin'," The Young Rascals (13 weeks)
    • "Pay You Back with Interest," The Hollies (7 weeks)
    • "Respect," Aretha Franklin (12 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Words," The Monkees

(B-side of "Pleasant Valley Sunday"; #11 US)

"Baby, I Love You," Aretha Franklin

(#4 US; #1 R&B; #39 UK)

"Come Back When You Grow Up," Bobby Vee & The Strangers

(#3 US)

"Pleasant Valley Sunday," The Monkees

(#3 US; #11 UK)

"All You Need Is Love," The Beatles

(#1 US the week of Aug. 19, 1967; #1 UK; #362 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time [2004])

And new on the boob tube:
    • The Saint, "Locate and Destroy"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki pages for the month or year and Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles Day by Day, with minor editing as needed.

_______

9. The Old Mixer

Coming back to this, it just came to my attention that Janis Ian was only 13 when she wrote "Society's Child," and 14 when she recorded it!

10. RJDiogenes

Indeed. We generally see only a small sliver of famous musicians (and other artists) and it's fascinating to get a better idea of the whole person. My favorite example is Brian May, the Astronomer. He's one of those people who's like something out of a Pulp magazine. :rommie:

I've thought of this myself. You wonder how their early 70s work would have ended up, filtered through the band.

Hmm. The LRO has been mapping all the various landing sites and crash sites. I wonder if Surveyor 4 will turn up.

He also fought crime under the name "Moon Knight."

And my personal most favored theory. If anybody cares. :rommie:

Why has this never been made into a major motion picture?

Wow, that boggles the imagination. Beatles Island. What would it be like today? So many alternate universes....

Still the best Sherlock (although Jeremy Brett is a microscopically close second).

"Hello, Paul? George here. Ringo is with me. Is John there? Good. Guess what? We just bought an island for the band!"

"You're not going to believe this...."

Not bad.

Aretha is singing.

Another phrase that's useful in Internet discussions. :rommie:

My favorite Monkees song. I always used to tease my Brother that he started out as line one and grew up to be line two. :rommie:

Stone Cold Classic.

That definitely sounds familiar. I wonder where I heard it if not here.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I thought her age at the time was pretty well known. In the usual "Sideshow" way. "She did this and she's only a kid!!!" :lol:

12. DarrenTR1970

Another good example is Jeff "Skunk" Baxter. After playing bass with Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers, he retired from the music industry and developed a career as a consultant with the Department of Defense, helping design missile defense systems.

13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guitar. His seated, chair-rocking, full-headphone-wearing soloing with the Doobies is not easily forgotten. About 02:00:

14. The Old Mixer

50 Years Ago This Week

July 16 – Mafia kingpin Thomas Eboli, alias "Tommy Ryan", was shot five times and killed in a drive-by shooting as he left his girlfriend's apartment on Lefferts Avenue in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. As boss of the Genovese family since 1969, Eboli had borrowed money from fellow mobster Carlo Gambino to fund a drug operation that had been busted by the police. Frank Tieri succeeded as leader.

July 17 – The American destroyer USS Warrington was damaged beyond repair by two underwater explosions while in the Gulf of Tonkin. The blasts were believed to have been caused by American mines that had washed away after having been laid in North Vietnam's ports. The Warrington became the only American warship to be lost in the Vietnam War.

July 18 – Egypt's President Anwar Sadat surprised the world with the announcement that he had asked the Soviet Union to withdraw all of their military advisors and other personnel. Sadat, who had concluded that the presence of the Soviets hindered his ability to govern Egypt, had informed Ambassador Vladimir Vinogradov of his decision ten days earlier, then sent Prime Minister Aziz Sedki to Moscow on July 13 to inform the leadership there. More than 20,000 Soviets left the country after Sadat's order.

July 19
    • In the Battle of Mirbat, Nine British Special Air Service troopers, commanded by Captain Mike Kealy, successfully repelled an invasion by more than 250 guerrillas seeking to overthrow the government of Oman.
    • The guided missile frigate USS Biddle was attacked by five North Vietnamese MiGs, in two raids, off the coast of North Vietnam. They were repulsed by missiles and gunfire, with no damage incurred by the Biddle. One MiG was destroyed by a Terrier missile, with a second possibly destroyed.

July 20 – Lynne Cox, a 15-year-old girl, set a new record for swimming the English Channel, becoming the first person to make the crossing from England to France in less than ten hours. Her record of 9 hours and 57 minutes would be broken later in the year by Richard Hart, whose record she would break the following years.

July 21
    • At 2:10 pm, a car bomb exploded at a bus station in Belfast, Northern Ireland, followed six minutes later by a bomb that wrecked a hotel. Over the next hour, explosives went off across the city at train stations, bus stops, and other civilian targets. Nine people were killed and 130 injured in what became known as "Bloody Friday", a retaliation for January's "Bloody Sunday". The next day, British troops began a new offensive against the Irish Republican Army.
    • Comedian George Carlin is arrested by Milwaukee police for public obscenity, for reciting his "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television" at Summerfest.
    • A malfunctioning signal at El Cuervo de Sevilla led to Spain's worst railroad accident ever. At 7:36 a.m., an express train bound from Seville to Cadiz crashed head-on into a local passenger train coming the opposite direction. Seventy-six people were killed and another 130 were injured.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Amazing Grace," The Pipes & Drums & Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (9 weeks)
    • "I'll Take You There," The Staple Singers (15 weeks)
    • "(Last Night) I Didn't Get to Sleep at All," The 5th Dimension (16 weeks)
    • "Oh Girl," The Chi-Lites (15 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Join Together," The Who

(#17 US; #9 UK)

"Rock and Roll, Part 2," Gary Glitter

(#7 US; #2 UK)

"Back Stabbers," The O'Jays

(#3 US; #1 R&B)

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki pages for the month or year.

_______

55 Years Ago This Week Overflow Special

Recent on the chart the week of July 22, 1967:

"To Love Somebody," Bee Gees

(July 15; #17 US; #41 UK)

"Thank the Lord for the Night Time," Neil Diamond

(July 15; #13 US)

_______

If only...

Glad I chose to include it, then!

It does sound very IMF-ish.

IIRC, they were ultimately turned off by the military coup dictatorship thing that was going on there at the time. Nevertheless, it was a Summer of Love pipe dream of theirs for about five seconds. Had they gone through with it, it probably would have ended up like Apple.

I've seen him in other stuff, but can't say that I've watched one of his Holmes films.

An interesting bit of business from the Prefab Four.

As opposed to...? Granted, we'll see that she does get a bit lazy at times...e.g., her cover of "I Say a Little Prayer," for which she gets way too much credit considering that she handed off all of the vocal heavy lifting to the Sweet Inspirations.

We're now up to things that were still on the chart when I first started doing the 50th anniversary playlists in fall of 2017...this one got under my skin in its previous run. It relies too heavily on its titular verse with too little variation.

I knew you'd say that...I can see five years into the past! :p

This is one you're a little surprised to find wasn't a chart-topper, but it was blocked by a trio of songs that were..."Light My Fire," "All You Need Is Love," and "Ode to Billie Joe".

The anthem of the Summer of Love. The lyrics were tailored to the Our World global satellite broadcast, and thus were deliberately kept simple for ease of translation.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  15. DarrenTR1970

Part of Pete Townshend's attempt at another "rock opera" following "Lifehouse"/"Who's Next", called "Rock Is Dead - Long Live Rock". Side One would consist of leftover "Lifehouse" songs along with newer recordings, while Side Two would be a "mini-opera" about the history of The Who and its band members. Pete abandoned the idea and "Join Together" was issued as a standalone single.

Rock 'n' Roll (Part 1) - YouTube

Can't have Rock 'n' Roll (Part 2) without 'Part 1'. The DJs flipped the side over and helped start the "Glam"/"Glitter" era in the UK. Three #1's and four #2's, eleven singles in the UK top ten. There was a time when I had his "Greatest Hits" on CD. Yes, the songs were formulaic as hell, but they were damn catchy.

Again, the Bee Gees score with their first album.

16. DarrenTR1970

You're right. For some reason I thought he played bass. I got him confused with Donald "Duck" Dunn, who is a bass player.

17. DarrenTR1970

Were you aware that his first Sherlock Holmes film, "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" is the only one of his films to refer to Sherlock's drug habit?

18. RJDiogenes

That's a good one. I didn't know about that. And it reminds me of Hedy Lamarr, a famous actress (known for the first mainstream nude scene) who was also a mad scientist in her off hours, and invented some kind of frequency modulation technique used in remote-controlled torpedoes-- and, much later, in Starfleet shields. :rommie:

That was easy. Maybe we can get Egypt to talk to The Vladimir.

Apparently also "The Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television or Summerfest." :rommie: George Carlin was something else. Love him or hate him, you gotta love him.

Not one of their major classics, but it's The Who. And it's fun watching Pete Townshend do whatever he's doing there. :rommie:

It's got that nostalgic sound to it now, but wow. :rommie:

Now here's an Oldies Radio 70s Classic.

This is beautiful. The Bee Gees in their absolute prime.

Nice early Neil Diamond.

:rommie:

They would have had to buy two more islands, so that one could be named after each Beatle. Then John would have demanded a fifth island for Yoko, and that would have been the beginning of the end for the United Islands of Beatlemania.

The movies are of varying quality, of course, though I have sort of an uncritical fondness for old stuff like that, but Rathbone is always perfect. Kind of like Leonard Nimoy, he makes a very formal and logical character lovable. Hound of the Baskervilles is definitely the best, though.

I was just saying she's a pleasure to listen to, even if the songs themselves are sometimes weak.

I had a feeling I mentioned that before. :rommie:

Yeah, it definitely deserved to be number one, but, as you say, you can't predict the competition.

I did not know that. Interesting. Kind of surprising that it was mentioned at all, when you think about it, since that series of films didn't start until after the Hays crackdown (no pun intended).

19. The Old Mixer

_______

Really Big Anniversary Viewing

_______

The Ed Sullivan Show
    Season 19, episode 1
    Originally aired September 11, 1966

Performances listed on Metacritic:
    • The Rolling Stones perform "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In the Shadow?" "Paint It Black" & "Lady Jane"
    [The Sullivan account doesn't have any of these up? Well screw that!]

• Louis Armstrong performs "Cabaret"
    • Robert Goulet sings "Once I Had A Heart" and "The Impossible Dream"
    • Joan Rivers (comedian, making her 2nd Sullivan appearance) - stand-up routine
    • Red Skelton (comedian) - performs a monologue and pantomime routine (in a taped segment running approx. 10 minutes)
    • "Holiday on Ice" segments: Scenes from the ice show, taped at Madison Square Garden, includes an appearance by skater Ronnie Robertson
    _______

Their next single, "Relay," was also from these two scrapped projects.

Roger Daltrey is 5'7". I had to look it up because one of the chicks in the crowd was towering over him.

This one I can't say I had any recollection of before it came up for me on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame list, but I chose not to get it because of what I'd read about the artist.

Yeppers.

Definitely a good one.

If a bit repetitive of at least one earlier single.

Speaking of, Spock made his TV debut just day before the above Ed Sullivan broadcast.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  20. RJDiogenes

I wonder if it's copyright issues-- but then, how do the other channels manage it?

He just grabs you and don't let you go. :rommie:

At least he's got a big voice. :rommie:

Uh oh. I don't know anything about the artist, and now I'm afraid to ask. But I did listen to Darren's link later in the day and Part 1 passes the Squiggy test-- it's got words!

Makes me wonder if the show would have rated higher if they had appeared on Sullivan. :rommie: