The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yup, Charlie Brown was always the star. In fact, Sparky wanted the strip to be called Charlie Brown. He always hated Peanuts. He kind of got his way on the Sunday strips where it said, "Peanuts, featuring Good Ol' Charlie Brown."

Or "That Round-Headed Kid." :rommie:

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

55 Years Ago This Week

July 9
    • At least 371 people were killed in Japan when landslides, triggered by heavy rains from Typhoon Billie, hit the western half of the Kyushu island and moved south. Most of the dead were killed by floods and landslides that struck Kobe and Kure.
    • Newly consecrated as Poland's second Roman Catholic cardinal, Archbishop Karol Wojtyla was welcomed back to Kraków from Rome by a cheering crowd of 10,000 people. Wojtyla, a "former chemical factory laborer and worker priest" would become Pope John Paul II eleven years later.
    • The supersonic MiG-25 "Foxbat" jet fighter was displayed by the Soviet Union for the first time. Four of the Foxbats flew across the sky, in formation, at an airshow at the Domodedovo air field near Moscow. At the same show, the Soviets sent a formation of ten Sukhoi Su-15 "Flagon" interceptors past the airfield.
    • Mary Flezar, a 19-year-old student at Eastern Michigan University (EMU), became the first of the "Co-Ed Murders", a series of seven murders of female students in southeastern Michigan, ranging in age from 13 to 21. She was abducted and stabbed more than 30 times, and her body would not be discovered for a month. Killings would follow in the summers of 1968 and 1969 before the arrest of John Norman Collins, a student at EMU. Collins would be arrested and sentenced to life imprisonment for the killing of the final victim.

July 10
    • New Zealand decimalized its currency from the pound to the dollar, with one pound being converted to two dollars, and one new dollar being worth ten shillings. The exchange rate for the New Zealand dollar was $1.40 in American currency.
    • "Ode to Billie Joe", one of the most popular songs of 1967, was recorded by songwriter and singer Bobbie Gentry, becoming "a lyrical mystery that puzzled listeners for years".

July 12
    • Five days of rioting that would ultimately claim 23 lives began in Newark, New Jersey. At the corner of 15th Avenue and South Ninth Street, an African-American taxicab driver, John Smith, was arrested by two city police officers, Vito Pontrelli and Oscar De Simone. During the scuffle that followed an argument, Smith sustained a broken rib, and was taken to the 4th Precinct Station House, across the street from the William P. Hayes housing project. At about 9:30 pm, "people saw Smith, who either refused or was unable to walk, being dragged out of a police car and into the front door of the station". As rumors spread that Smith had been killed by the police, an angry crowd assembled outside the police station; the crowd marched toward the Newark City Hall in what started as a nonviolent protest. Within minutes, police and marchers were hit by rocks, an attempt was made to disperse the crowd, and the riot started. When the riot ended on July 17, 21 black residents were dead (including six women and two children), along with a white policeman and a white fireman.
    • The Interior Ministry of Greece began the process of revoking the citizenship of almost 480 Greeks and confiscating their property, based on charges of "anti-national activities". Among the first nine people punished was actress Melina Mercouri, who was living in New York.
    • The U.S. Navy released the report of its naval intelligence investigation of Amelia Earhart's July 2, 1937, disappearance and the subsequent search. The file had been declassified on June 8.

July 14
    • Operation Buffalo ended in South Vietnam after 12 days of fighting that left 159 U.S. Marines dead and 345 wounded for the Marines' heaviest losses during the Vietnam War; the Marines reported that 1,290 of the enemy had been killed.
    • The Bee Gees released Bee Gees' 1st, which went on sale in the United Kingdom. Although it was their third album, it was the first to be distributed in the UK and the United States (where it would be released on August 9). The first two albums had been released only in Australia and New Zealand.
    • While the Newark riots were in progress, a separate riot began in the nearby town of Plainfield, New Jersey.
    • Born: Patrick J. Kennedy, U.S. Congressman 1995 to 2011 and son of U.S. Senator Edward M. Kennedy; in Boston

July 15 – For the first time, a settlement was established by Israeli citizens in the Golan Heights, which had been captured from Syria the previous month during the Six-Day War. The settlers took over Aleika, an abandoned Syrian army camp, and created the Merom Golan kibbutz.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Do It Again a Little Bit Slower," Jon & Robin & The In Crowd (10 weeks)
    • "New York Mining Disaster 1941 (Have You Seen My Wife, Mr. Jones)," Bee Gees (7 weeks)
    • "Release Me (and Let Me Love Again)," Engelbert Humperdinck (14 weeks)
    • "7 Rooms of Gloom," Four Tops (8 weeks)
    • "Somebody to Love," Jefferson Airplane (15 weeks)
    • "Sunday Will Never Be the Same," Spanky & Our Gang (8 weeks)

New on the chart:

"My Mammy," The Happenings

(#13 US; #34 UK)

"Brown Eyed Girl," Van Morrison

(#10 US; #109 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time [2004])

"A Girl Like You," The Young Rascals

(#10 US; #37 UK)

"Cold Sweat, Part 1," James Brown

(#7 US; #1 R&B)

"Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie," Jay & The Techniques

(#6 US; #8 R&B)

And new on the boob tube:
    • The Saint, "Escape Route"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki pages for the month or year.

_______

Thursday completely slipped under my radar...a belated Happy 82nd to Sir Ringo! :beer:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    Neopeius likes this.
  3. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I read in another forum that James Brown has the most singles by an artist labeled "Parts 1 & 2".

4. The Old Mixer

Sounds right...after a point it became his S.O.P.

5. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

As an adjunct to this lovely thread, folks might be interested in my Twitter feed. Many of these headlines end up there illustrated with photos. :)

RJDiogenes likes this.
  6. RJDiogenes

Interesting. I never heard this one before. This version, I mean.

Stone-Cold Classic.

A song about a girl, apparently.

Somebody get James a towel. And some Gatorade.

I love this one.

I missed that too. Keep going, Ringo!

He should have just numbered them all. "James Brown, Part 37." :rommie:

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's commercial aircraft of course; the B-47 had six engines and the B-52 eight.

8. The Old Mixer

50 Years Ago This Week

July 9
    • A ceasefire between the Irish Republican Army and British forces effectively came to an end when British troops killed five civilians in Belfast, three of whom were teenagers.
    • Wings start a tour of Europe, playing at the Théâtre Antique in Châteauvallon, France.

July 10
    • India's news agency reports that at least 24 people have been killed in separate incidents, in the Chandka Forest in India, by elephants crazed by heat and drought.
    • An intentionally set fire on board the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal as it sat in port in Norfolk, Virginia, caused USD $7,000,000 worth of damage, and was the largest single act of sabotage in United States Navy history. Seaman apprentice Jeffrey Allison was later convicted of having started the blaze. The Forrestal had been the site of a fire in 1967 that had killed 132 people.
    • A total solar eclipse was visible over northeastern Asia and northern America.

July 11
    • The long anticipated chess match between world champion Boris Spassky of the Soviet Union, and United States champion Bobby Fischer, began in Iceland at Reykjavík, nine days and seven minutes after the original start date. With no opponent present, Spassky made his opening move at 5:00 pm by moving his queen's pawn forward two spaces in the first of 24 games. Fischer walked into the 2,500 seat Reykjavík Sports Hall minutes later.
    • U.S. Senator George McGovern of South Dakota was assured the Democratic presidential nomination after his chief rivals, Hubert H. Humphrey and Edmund S. Muskie announced that they would release their delegates to him.
    • Apollo 15 astronauts David Scott, Alfred Worden and James Irwin were reprimanded for carrying 400 stamped envelopes to the Moon and back as a favor for West German stamp dealer Herman Sieger.
    • Curtis Mayfield releases the soundtrack to the 1972 film Super Fly.

July 13
    • The British House of Commons narrowly approved the United Kingdom's entry into the European Economic Community, voting to ratify the Treaty of Accession on its third reading, 301–284.
    • At the 1972 Democratic National Convention in Miami Beach, delegates formally nominated George McGovern as their candidate for President of the United States. McGovern was not able to find a running mate until late in the afternoon, when U.S. Senator Thomas F. Eagleton of Missouri agreed to join the ticket. The formal nomination of Eagleton as the Democratic candidate for Vice-President went on throughout the evening and past midnight, with frivolous votes being cast, and Eagleton did not receive the nomination until 1:51 the next morning. As a result, Senator McGovern was not able to deliver his acceptance speech on live national television until after most viewers had gone to bed.
    • NFL owners Robert Irsay (who owned the Los Angeles Rams) and Carroll Rosenbloom (owner of the Baltimore Colts) swapped franchises. "We avoided capital gains taxes by doing it this way", Rosenbloom explained, adding that the value of each team was $19,000,000. The teams and their players did not move when the ownership changed. Later, Irsay would move the Colts to Indianapolis and Rosenbloom's widow would move the Rams to St. Louis.

July 14 – Because of delays on the night of July 13 in the nomination for his running mate, Democratic Party presidential nominee George McGovern was not able to give his acceptance speech until 2:30 in the morning Eastern Time. McGovern would say later, "I finished at 3:15. Probably the best speech I ever gave in my life ... But how many people saw it at 2:30 or 3 in the morning? I think my wife did. Maybe my mother if she didn't get too sleepy ... But a crowd of 90 million viewers at 9 o'clock ... probably dwindled down to about 3 million."

July 15
    • Actress Jane Fonda posed for photographs at a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun at Hanoi, and the first images were printed in a newspaper in Poland. Pictures of the actress, gazing through the gunsight of a weapon used to shoot down American planes during the ongoing Vietnam War, ran worldwide the next day.
    • The Pruitt–Igoe housing development is demolished in St. Louis, Missouri.
    • Four months after its launch toward the planet Jupiter, Pioneer 10 became the first man-made object to journey through the asteroid belt. On Earth, NASA scientists estimated that there was a 10% chance that the satellite would not survive the seven-month trip. Pioneer would make it through and reach Jupiter by late 1973.
    • The ground temperature in Death Valley, at Furnace Creek, reached a record high of 201 °F (95 °C) on a day when the air temperature was 129 °F (55 °C).

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "I Am Woman," Helen Reddy (3 weeks)
    • "I Saw the Light," Todd Rundgren (14 weeks)
    • "Living in a House Divided," Cher (8 weeks)
    • "Sylvia's Mother," Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show (15 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Down on Me," Janis Joplin

(#91 US)

"Happy," The Rolling Stones

(#22 US)

"Lookin' Through the Windows," Jackson 5

(#16 US; #5 R&B; #9 UK)

"Goodbye to Love," Carpenters

(#7 US; #2 AC; #9 UK)

"Everybody Plays the Fool," The Main Ingredient

(#3 US; #25 AC; #2 R&B; #52 UK)

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki pages for the month or year and Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles Day by Day, with minor editing as needed.

_______

Now the Happenings do Jolson...the association doesn't age well.

Yep.

It's got that nice Rascals-at-their-peak sound.

Fun, memorable, gives me the munchies.

The oldest and youngest Beatle is now a little more oldest.

I like that idea!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  9. DarrenTR1970

In my 33 1/3 book "Exile On Main Street", the author Bill Janovitz makes a compelling argument that Keith Richards "Happy" draws its inspiration from Cole Porter's "I Get A Kick Out Of You".

"I get no kick from Champagne
    Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all
    Some may go for cocaine
    I'm sure that if, I even took one signature sniff
    It would bore me terrifically too
    But I get a kick out of you"

"I get no kick in a plane
    Flying too high with some gal in the sky
    Is my idea of nothing to do
    Yet I get a kick out of you" - Cole Porter

"Never got a lift out of Lear jets
    When I can fly way back home
    I need a love to keep me happy" - Keith Richards

Richards took a stack of records with him when he and his family and the band relocated to Nellcôte, Nice, France as tax exiles, among them the Cole Porter album; and, according to the author, there exists bootleg recordings of Keith playing the Cole Porter song during band warm-ups when he embarked on a solo career with "The X-pensive Winos".

So, yeah, I do think that Keith was aware of the song, but, just like Lennon/McCartney, he drew upon it as inspiration and took it in a completely different direction.

10. DarrenTR1970

This was not a good week for celebrity passings.

We lost James Caan on the 6th, Larry Storch on the 7th (just shy of his 100th birthday), Gregory Itzin and Tony Sirico on the 8th and today L.Q. Jones.

Oddly enough, Charge! TV was airing "Lone Wolf McQuade" with L.Q. Jones as the bad guy when I saw the news on my Facebook news feed.

11. RJDiogenes

Don't mess with elephants. [​IMG]

And what was Jeff's beef? Or was he just a pyro?

Way to make baseball look exciting.

I wonder what the ZIP Code is for the Sea of Tranquility. :rommie:

They found him drunk in a bar. "Vishe prezhident? Shurrre...."

A propaganda coup for both the North Vietnamese and the Right Wing.

And would subsequently be returned by Jovian authorities for insufficient postage.

That's a nice little rocker.

Also could be described as a nice little rocker.

Sounds like the 70s.

Sigh.

Good one. Oldies Radio staple.

Yeah, kinda weird.

Yeah, I guess. I just kept waiting for something to happen.

:rommie:

Long may his heart Beat.

This is the first I've heard of LQ Jones. It's all just fading away.

12. The Old Mixer

Belated 55th Anniversary Album Spotlight

Fifth Dimension
    The Byrds
    Released July 18, 1966
    Chart debut: August 27, 1966
    Chart peak: #24 (October 8, 1966)

The album opens with its Jim McGuinn-penned title track and second single, "5D (Fifth Dimension)" (charted July 16, 1966; #44 US):

Next is the prettily sang "Wild Mountain Thyme," one of two band arrangements of traditional folk songs on the album...this one having been known to Jim McGuinn from a recording made by Pete Seeger.

Following that is another McGuinn original and the album's third single, the playful "Mr. Spaceman" (charted Sept. 24, 1966; #36 US):

Wiki describes it as

McGuinn/Crosby collboration "I See You" hearkens back to some of the poppier songs on the band's prior albums. Wiki describes it as "jazzy" and representing an "example of abstract lyrics coupled with raga-influenced, psychedelic guitar solos."

The first song written solely by David Crosby to appear on a Byrds record is the contemplative if excessively punctuated "What's Happening?!?!":

The first side closes on a very solemn, morbid note with "I Come and Stand at Every Door".

Side two opens with the album's lead single, the groundbreaking "Eight Miles High," written by Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn, and David Crosby (charted Apr. 9, 1966; #14 US; #24 UK; #150 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time [2004]):

Immersive retro context really helped me to appreciate how much this song was bringing to the table in its time...it stood out as being the first example of full-on psychedelic rock to pop up on our radar.

Reportedly Dave Crosby took an early interest in Billy Roberts composition "Hey Joe (Where You Gonna Go)," though other acts beat the Byrds to recording it. Their up-tempo arrangement does precede the definitive Jimi Hendrix Experience version, however.

"Captain Soul" is an instrumental credited to all four Byrds of the time (McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke, and Crosby). According to Wiki, it "grew out of an in-studio jam of Lee Dorsey's 'Get Out of My Life, Woman'".

"John Riley" is the other band arrangment of a traditional folk song, this one known to McGuinn from a Joan Baez recording.

The album closes with experimental McGuinn composition "2-4-2 Fox Trot (The Lear Jet Song)". Per Wiki, it was

While the album is perfectly pleasant and listenable, it lacks stand-out tracks that live up to the promise of "Eight Miles High".

_______

Burdening her with the nickname Hanoi Jane.

Was this meant to tie in with the Apollo 15 item?

From a posthumous live album, this recording dates to a Big Brother show back in '68.

The only charting Stones single with Keith on lead vocals...this is the part of the show where Mick shakes some maracas to try to look like he's doing something.

Both relatively undistinguished songs by distinguished artists.

Yep, and an effective pick-me-up song.

:vulcan:

13. The Old Mixer

Monty Norman, Composer of Iconic James Bond Theme, Dies at 94 (msn.com)

14. RJDiogenes

Now, wait, is that... or... okay, I see. :rommie:

I love that it's about Einstein and got banned as a drug song. This must be why I was never interested in drugs. Astrophysics got me first. :rommie:

I love this, in particular the line "I hope they get home okay." Sweet sentiment.

Yep, that's a classic.

Interesting, and I think a good choice to end the album. I certainly have no problem with incorporating sound effects into music.

Certainly an album I could listen to straight through, which is pretty rare for me.

That's right, I forgot about that.

Yes, I thought it might be funny or something. :rommie:

:D

Now there's an iconic piece of music. An instrumental even Squiggy could love. RIP, Monty Norman.

15. DarrenTR1970

@The Old Mixer and @RJDiogenes

I'm not going to get into the whole "'Eight Miles High' refers to drugs" controversy. That's been done to death. What you may not know is that both "Eight Miles High" and its B-Side "Why" were originally recorded on 22-December-1965 at RCA Recording Studios with Gene Clark on lead vocals.

The Byrds - Eight Miles High (Audio/RCA Version) - YouTube

Both songs were re-recorded on 24-January-1966 at Columbia Recording Studios, with Gene Clark's vocals farther back in the mix or removed entirely, as he was already on the "outs" with the other four members.

The reason for the re-recording is due to a clause in The Byrds contract that stipulated that they could only record in studios owned and operated by Columbia Records. If the two RCA songs were released as singles, The Byrds would receive a 2 per cent cut in their 12 per cent royalty per record sold.

Both Jim (Roger) McGuinn and David Crosby have stated that they preferred the rawer sounding RCA version's over the smoother Columbia takes, and would have accepted the pay cut but were overruled by Gene, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke and their manager.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  16. RJDiogenes

That version of "Eight Miles High" definitely has a different feel-- kind of puts me in mind of harder psychedelic stuff like "Journey to the Center of the Mind." Funny how those two guys prefer the less ethereal version.

17. The Old Mixer

That's good to hear.

I originally owned the CDs with multiple bonus tracks of the first four Byrds albums, though I lost my copy of Fifth Dimension (left on top of the car before I drove off somewhere, I think) and had to more recently re-buy it on iTunes...so I was vaguely aware of the RCA versions of those tracks, and reminded by the Wiki article on the album, though I didn't listen to or mention them in favor of the more immersive retro experience. The RCA version of "Eight Miles High" is interesting in its dirtier, harder-edged crunchiness, but as RJ fingered, sounds less ethereal, and sounds more distant and less immersive to me. I do think that the RCA version of "Why" has a little more punch than the single version...but again in the name of the immersive retro experience, here's the version that was released in '66:

18. DarrenTR1970

19. RJDiogenes

Not bad. Pretty simple lyrics, but I like the line, "I don't know where you live, but you're not really living." It almost anticipates the Internet. :rommie:

That's hilarious. I wonder if that was the real conductor or just a stunt conductor. :rommie:

20. The Old Mixer

Belated 55th Anniversary Album Spotlight

Over Under Sideways Down
    The Yardbirds
    Released July 18, 1966
    Chart debut: August 27, 1966
    Chart peak: #52 (October 22, 1966)
    #349 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2003) (full UK album)
    OverUnder.jpg
    The US album is two tracks lighter than the British one, with the remainder appearing in the same sequence, causing the UK side two opener to be bumped up to the position of US side one closer. The two excised tracks are the most straight-up blues numbers, arguably doing the US version a slight favor by making it sound a bit more forward-looking.

Both versions of the album, however, open with the enjoyably bluesy "Lost Woman":

Keith Relf sings lead vocals on all tracks of the US album.

Next is the album's titular single, "Over, Under, Sideways, Down" (charted June 25, 1966; #13 US; #10 UK; #23 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time):

"I Can't Make Your Way" sounds...very British. As does "Farewell," which has more going on vocally, but sports a melody that sounds distractingly like "Parade of the Wooden Soldiers".

The first side closes with "Hot House of Omagararshid," which is effectively an instrumental with nonsense lyrics.

Side two opens with a true instrumental--the titular single's B-side, "Jeff's Boogie," which is strongly based on Chuck Berry's "Guitar Boogie":

We return to the early psychedelic era with "He's Always There"...though the following track, "Turn into Earth," is more strikingly ambitious:

"What Do You Want" mixes the band's blues influence with a dose of social commentary:

The album closes with "Ever Since the World Began," which starts out sounding like it's aiming in the same direction as "Turn into Earth," then completely switches gears and abruptly ends.

This is an album that, when I first got it a few years back, I wanted to get more out of than I did, given the band's singles output. Here the Yardbirds seem to be in an awkward transitional phase between blues rock and psychedelia.

_______

I believe the intent of the song is that it's directed at a conservative, overcontrolling member of the older generation.