The Casting of this series is extremely bad

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Sci-fi fan, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

B5's writing didn't help.

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

It sure didn't.

3. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

What? Not Day of the Dove Chekov as well? What about Moontrap Koenig?

I found his performance a lot more nuanced than that, and certainly more nuanced than most of the performances on B5. I always looked forwards to him showing up. DS9 would do similar things with Dukat, and although I will admit Alaimo is a better actor, he was never as disturbing as Koenig's Bester could be.

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  4. Alan Roi

There's maybe a handful of Bond villains who were more interesting than Bester, and that's being generous on my part.

5. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

She did well in Carbon Creek. No one could have done much with most of the scripts they were given in the first two seasons. I felt she, like the rest of the show, improved afterwords.

6. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I credit Bakula for being a one of the few saving graces of Enterprise (along with Linda Park and John Billingsley). Anthony Montgomery was the very definition of "zero charisma". I will agree the writing on ST:E was lousy with neither Berman nor Braga giving two shites about quality, therefore, Bakula couldn't get "comfortable" with the substandard material.

In all seriousness Walter Koenig is a fine actor. His pre-Star Trek appearances on Mr. Novak, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, and I, Spy was excellent and more than justified his hire on Star Trek. Granted, Bester on B5 was a bit "overdone," however, that was more to do with J. Michael Straczynski's overwrought melodramatic style than Koenig's acting choices. You make it sound as if he was Derek Jacobi's character of "Jackson Hedley" on "Frasier," and nothing could be further from the truth. I would rank Koenig in the upper half of all Star Trek series regulars across ALL the series.

The only thing "watery" were my eyes when I watched his performance on Columbo!

7. Alan Roi

I also found him to be the sole highlight of Starlost, where his character Oro is probably one of the most Bester-like characters he got to play outside of B5.

8. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I guess until we find real aliens and they are able to take acting lessons and eventually sign up to the SAG, we'll just have to make do with people in costumes.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know I'm a bit of clown, but there was nothing flippant about my post.

10. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No intent to imply there was, my friend. My "in all seriousness" was in reference to my previous post on Walter Koenig where I attempted to be a bit humorous in my response (the one where I begin with "W-W-Walter …"). So I apologize for the confusion.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. He's an incredibly likable actor, but his relaxed, aww shucks demeanor just made it really hard for me to buy him as a starship captain.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There wasn't much I didn't like about STE.

Ovation, cooleddie74 and sekundant like this.
  13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Archer was a Starship Captain in name only.
    That was the whole point of the character, and I think Backula nailed it perfectly.

Archer had no experience to go with and was constantly managing to get things done just by the seat of his pants.
    LUCK was what got him through the first couple of years as the Captain of the NX-01 and eventually that developed into the skill to be the first Great one.

I think folks spend too much time internally comparing him to Kirk and Picard (probably not even realizing it) and lose sight of the fact that this was a time before humans had any idea of how to contend with what was out there.
    :cool:

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I get that they were supposed to be closer to modern day astronauts than the military officers of Starfleet, but I still would have expected a bit more seriousness and gravitas from someone entrusted with the lives of hundreds of people on an experimental starship.

BillJ and sekundant like this.
  15. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Opinions and all. I for one think he's really relatable. I love all the mains. :shrug:

It would be boring if we all agreed on everything constantly.:beer:

BillJ likes this.
  16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because somehow humanity forgot everything it knew about command and leadership by the 22nd century.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And it's still a better series than what we're getting now.

BillJ likes this.
  18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've warmed to Discovery a bit this season, but I think it is still subpar when compared both to prior Star Trek series and modern dramas.

I'd really like for them to take off in their own direction and build their own legacy.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, Season 2 is a significant and commendable improvement over Season 1 but it's still not living up to much less surpassing Roddenberry and Berman Trek except in visual effects and slickness of production.

BillJ likes this.
  20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

And differences of opinion are what make the world go round. Literally, since what I think of the two series are the exact opposite.

It'll be interesting to see where we all land on the Picard Series.