The Breakup Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by NickInABox, Dec 10, 2009.

1. NickInABox

NickInABox Captain Captain

So, I'm thinking of breaking up with my boyfriend. Well... I know I have to before Christmas otherwise he'll break up with me and I'll be filled with remorse.
    The question is... how to do it?

So in this thread, I want you, the viewers, to tell me ways you've broken up with someone, or ways people have broken up with you. We've all been there, so I know some of you have some stories to tell.

Inspire me. Inspire others.

Love is a risky business.

2. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't even know you're gay. Good for you. So ... soon to be single? ;)

Anyway, i am by nature blunt (shut up everyone!) so i go with the blunt approach and just tell him that it's over.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You could always "accidentally" get caught sleeping with Shameless. I'm sure he'd oblige.

4. ShamelessMcBundy

I like where this thread is going. :D

Too soon?

5. NickInABox

I'm down.

Ohhh that's bad, isn't it.

On the other hand, I haven't seen said soon-to-be-ex in almost a month cuz of school

6. ShamelessMcBundy

Oh my. ;) So this is a long distance relationship then? How far's the distance?

7. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Straight to work. I like it :techman:

I've gone for the blunt approach a few times, which led to resentment and hatred - it took years for me to kiss and make up with an ex which was uncomfortable as she was (until recently) engaged to a mate.

I had the 'break up with her before she breaks up with me' scenario once before. I lost the game and she ended up breaking up with me by text message while I was away. I found a solution - I went home, got to her place, told her how much she meant to me, had a passionate moment followed by a passionate night...

...then when I got home the next morning I broke up wth her by text.

If he gets in first, theres always a way to win.

8. NickInABox

A 15 minute bus ride during the school year.
    Three hours over holidays.
    Truth told, I'm not really bothered by the breakup since it's only been a three month thing. Plus I realized he's not really my type. Very judgemental. High maintenance too.

And he wore eye makeup on our first date.
    Awk.
    Ward.

9. ShamelessMcBundy

I'm just saddened that someone slipped through my gaydar screens. :p

For me, if it's a short relationship, i gotta say that the best thing is just to say to him that it's not working out.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You could fake a head injury and act like you have no idea who he is. Then threaten him if he won't leave you alone.

11. ShamelessMcBundy

Ooooh, restraining orders!

12. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

You know that well don't you Shame?

13. ShamelessMcBundy

:shifty: I'm still not allowed within 100 ft of the ... well, i can't talk about that ...:shifty:

14. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I once broke up by msn messenger. :) To be fair, it was a long distance thing. Anyway, she couldn't believe it and insisted I call her on Skype so she could see it was actually me who typed those things... :shifty: That was pretty bad, the crying...

My next one was in person, which made me pretty nervous to begin with, but I pushed through, and she took it OK. It went something like "well, this has pretty much been just about sex, hasn't it? I don't think either one of us has much fun with the other between those times.." :D

15. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Be honest about it and just tell it like it is. My ex though it to be good idea to wait half a year after she'd realized she didn't love me to tell me, since "she didn't want to hurt me". Oddly as it turns out, it's a great recipe for pain!

Honesty, forwardness, decisiveness. Go!

16. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Telling you she spent 6 months sparing your feelings kinda defeats the object of spending 6 months sparing your feelings...

17. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Indeed it does :lol:

18. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I see you're the kind of person who prefers a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating. :bolian: (Incidentally, I often say the same thing about my toilet breaks.)

But all kidding aside (it's the only way I can cope in these situations :p) I can't really say that I've ever dumped anyone or been dumped before, as I haven't really gone as far as forming an actual relationship in the first place. It's more like rejection from the initial screening process, if you like. :( Both ways. :(

(Incidentally, my phone's predictive text keystrokes for the word "rejection" are the exact same for the word "selection." Make of that what you will. :guffaw:)

19. Turbo

Turbo Anthro Hawk Premium Member

^ It's McSpammer, you were expecting something else?

Sorry to hear this, NickInABox, but at least you realized it early. Still sucks though. :(

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I once was having a disagreement online with my boyfriend at the time and then realized he was probably trying to break up with me. I called him up and told him he could damn well at least speak the words to me instead of typing them. Maybe it's just me, but if the relationship was significant at all, I would be pissed off if it ended over instant messenger or text or something like that.