Spoilers The Boys: Season 3 on Amazon Prime Video (2022)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Jun 3, 2022.

1. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Quite effective really; Payback were revealed to be working with the Spetsnaz team to subdue Soldier Boy (while killing or scattering all the CIA and Contra allies in a deniable way).

Vought was willing to paw off their then premier 'supe and sour relations with the US security/military sector to wheel out Homelander.

I think he was effective like Black Noir, but still be deemed by US Army brass as a "shit show" by being too efficient and brutal against both Nazi troops and innocent locals alike.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^I'm not sure that was all planned. Noir got badly injured and the flying supe got taken out by a surface to air missile as I recall.

3. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, we see her repeated knocking out cameras with her powers as she goes, so wasn't like casually strolling through a park. I'm a bit surprised no one was monitoring the cameras closely enough to think of setting off an alarm, but we needed a quick, simple scene to show her finding the notes.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  4. TedShatner10

Noir got horribly maimed trying to subdue Soldier Boy alongside the rest of Payback (outside of poor Swatto who was likely not informed by a young Stan Edgar) and Black Noir is a power house in of himself, casting doubt on the credibility of the Legend's comments (despite being Vought VP himself).

Soldier Boy started his 'supe career the better part of a century ago, we have no reliable first hand information on his career, Vought fabricates the image of its heroes, the US Government covers up, and we got two untrustworthy late middle aged Vought veterans talk about him with contradictory stories (and they were both still around Hughie's age when SB was already right at the end of his glory decades, already very long after WW2), and after escaping decades of Russian captivity he developed an unforeseen extreme power, plus Moscow unlocked the usage of Compound V but still secretly testing it, so we're given a very confusing emerging picture of Soldier Boy and past life.

I wonder if that's intentional.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  5. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe The Deep fired them ;)

6. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. TedShatner10

I think Annie and Kimiko will launch a rescue attempt on Maeve.

LaxScrutiny and Romulan_spy like this.
  8. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I sure hope so. That whole thing about taking her eggs was one of the creepiest things I've watched in a long time. Some girl-power needed here.

Starkers and TedShatner10 like this.
  9. TedShatner10

I'm not getting the fridge horror of Homelander keeping Maeve alive to harvest her eggs; It sounds like a terminal proceedure with creepy Nazi-esque eugenic vibes...

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

3x08 is up!!!!

11. Romulan_spy

Just finished watching the finale. Definitely not what I was expecting.

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Didn’t feel as epic as I was expecting. At least Homelander is still alive.

13. Romulan_spy

True. It felt very low key. But I was also surprised by how some things played out:

Black Noir never got to confront Soldier Boy as Homelander kills him early on. And Homelander and Soldier Boy never really fight again as Homelander and Butcher turns on Soldier Boy when he threatens Ryan. The main fight actually turned out to be the Boys and Starlight versus Soldier Boy with Maeve and Homelander fighting. And I thought maybe A-train would take sides but he basically just had a character moment with his brother. I was thinking maybe Soldier Boy would depower a bunch of supes including Homelander but that did not happen. I was pleasantly surprised with Starlight joining The Boys. I like that. But I am annoyed Homelander did not get his comeuppance yet. And now Ryan is on his side. It seems Homelander's popularity is even higher now. The finale definitely subverted my expectations which is not a bad thing.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  14. TedShatner10

Season 3 feels like set up for Season 4 being the real ending for the story introduced in Episode 1 of S1 (they'd be pushing it with S5, IMO, and S6 will be just plain bad if they don't properly revamp the premise/lore and world setting to diverge a lot from Ennis' world).

Going against the grain, I liked the final battle, even if it was a curious mix of very expensive and relatively cheap (the Herogasm had noticeably better story boarding and cheography/editing I guess). And The Boys felt more grounded/gritty next to most of the MCU.

Also:

All future deaths at HL's hands was not really due to the good guys, it was due to SB being a callous hothead, and Homelander using his son Ryan as the perfect human shield (both physically and emotionally).

I'm starting to feel really sorry for A-Train, despite some of his acts being unforgivable and the damage he did to get to that point.

15. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

There is something I do not understand.

Ashley wears a wig. What is the importance of this? It felt like a big revelation about the character, but I missed what they were saying.

16. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This season definitely peaked with Herogasm but the finale wasn't too bad. I was expecting something very different but like this show usually does, they pulled the rug out and gave us something different.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  17. Romulan_spy

I assumed it meant that she has cancer. The baldness is typical with cancer patients who undergo radiation therapy. Or it could be that Ashley has alopecia which causes female baldness. Either way, I think the moment was more about Homelander exerting his control and dominance over others by humiliating them. Forcing Ashley to take off the wig to reveal her female baldness was deeply humiliating.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Its been a running gag that her hair keeps getting ripped out. She finally just ran out.

That last scene is chilling.

TedShatner10 and Skipper like this.
  19. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Thank you.

Awesome Possum likes this.
  20. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Not just a gag. She pulls out her own hair when she gets stressed out. Like a form of self harm. The wig is the reveal of just HOW BAD this has gotten now that she's in the big chair at Vought directly under Homelander. And under constant threat of mortal peril of he decides she has made a mistake. It's killing her. But she can't/won't walk away, because big chair. She's tragic, but she's done this to herself, from top to bottom.

TedShatner10 and LaxScrutiny like this.