Spoilers The Boys Season 1 - Amazon Prime Superhero Series Starring Karl Urban and Elizabeth Shue

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Excellent show, just binged it. Short season, can’t wait for more...

2. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved The Boys, hooked from the first episode and binged the series in one sitting. Stand outs for me was Anthony Starr as Homelander and Chase Crawford as The Deep. The way Homelander goes from manipulative psychopath to broken child who himself has been manipulated made me feel a great deal of sympathy for him. Also the Deep especially when it's revealed that his bravado is actually a cover for his raging insecurities and inferiority complex. The scene with the girl back at his apartment was pretty heartbreaking and physically painful to watch, his poor gills.

Overall everyone gave strong performances, though it was obvious that urban was struggling with his accent. It didn't feel bloated and drawn out like most of the marvel shows, and each character was given their moment to shine. Season 2 can't come along fast enough.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anybody here ever seen the New Zealand series Outrageous Fortune? I stumbled across it years ago on Hulu, and two of the main characters were a pair of twins played by Antony Starr. One was a clean cut lawyer, and the other was a not to bright slacker, he really did a great job playing the two totally opposite characters. The Outpost's Robyn Malcolm played his mother and Defiance's Grant Bowler played his father.

saddestmoon likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished up the season, and I was very happy with how it ended.
    I was glad to see Starlight show up to save Hughie at the end. It was a badass moment for, and I've been wanting to see her side with Hughie over the rest of the Seven since they first met.
    Very curious where they are headed with The Deep. It's nice to see him getting what he deserves after how he treated Starlight, but at the same time he's so desperate to be taken seriously as a hero that I do almost feel a teensy, tiny, bit of sympathy for him. I really do have to compliment Chase Crawford for a great performance, he can pull of the both the asshole behavior he showed toward Starlight, but then also make you feel that little bit of sympathy when he's treated like shit by Vought.
    Wow, I had heard Stillwell died, but not how it happened. That was nasty.
    The stuff revealed about Homelander's backstory does a lot to explain how he ended up the way he did. I did not expect it to be him behind the super villains, so that was a big surprise.
    They ended things on some pretty good cliffhangers, so I'll be very anxiously awaiting Season 2.
    Ever since they first revealed what happened with Becca Butcher, I was expecting her to still be alive, but I did not expect her to be off in the suburbs with her and Homelander's son.

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I absolutely adore the cinematography and lighting on this show too. It is just stunning to look at.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming we probably shouldn't expect Season 2 until next summer?

7. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

^They are currently filming the second season now. Who knows, might get a late-Winter or Spring release.

8. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally watched this show, it was fantastic.
    Sorry I waited so long.

The dude who played Homelander was brilliant! He just nailed that character perfectly.

9. kitik

According to showrunner Eric Kripke, Season 2 has wrapped filming. We'll see it in summer 2020.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've got our first teaser for the second season, and it's dialogue free with a lot of quick cuts, so I don't think it's worth starting a new thread yet.
    It was posted to Amazon's Youtube page and they pulled it, but it is still up on other pages, like TVPromos, which is where I saw it.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I only watched this for the first time about a week ago. Just wanted to say that after DC and Jason Momoa's efforts to make Aquaman cool I'm pleased that they used The Deep to try to return the character to its rightful place as being the butt of jokes.

12. kitik

Season 2 is coming on September 4. Well, only the first 3 episodes. It'll be weekly after that! So we'll actually be able to discuss and comment on individual episodes.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That seems to be the new trend, three eps + weekly drop.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That's good, I don't have to feel like the odd one out who doesn't binge watch an entire season in 1 day.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. I tend to only watch one or two episodes of a show at a time, so the full season drops annoy me, since I end up falling way behind everyone else.

Anwar likes this.
  16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

My family makes fun of me because I still like to stick to a more or less weekly schedule when watching streaming shows. Or alternatively I will watch 1 or 2 episodes a sitting until I get through an entire series. The events of a show run together for me when I watch ten episodes consecutively. I have made some holiday exceptions, but almost always with shows I plan on watching at a later date. Last summer I watched Doom Patrol over a weekend, but watched it again last winter.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

JD and Skipper like this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. RPOW0614

RPOW0614 Commander Red Shirt

Season two looks like just as much fun as season one was.

Adding Aya Cash is a brilliant move. I binged "You're the worst" during lockdown and she is a very talented actor. She does "unhinged" very well. I look forward to her and Homelander playing off of each other.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling that Butcher is lying about his wife and is just in denial.