Spoilers The Boys Season 1 - Amazon Prime Superhero Series Starring Karl Urban and Elizabeth Shue

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 26, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've got another new clip, set right after the first one with the whale.
    This is probably unnecessary, since I doubt anybody who is easily offended is going to in this thread, but I still want to warn that there are two or three fucks in the clip.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling it's probably more to do with the fact that Ackles and Kripke worked together on Supernatural for the first several seasons.

auntiehill likes this.
  6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

So season 2 has begun. Should we continue the discussion here or start a new thread?

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate that they're doing the weekly drop thing.:thumbdown:

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I don't. I like not having to watch 8 hours worth of stuff in one go. Gives me a headache.

Relayer1 likes this.
  9. LaxScrutiny

Oh ye of little self control, I bid thee goeth for a bike ride betwixt episodes.

Anwar likes this.
  10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I created a season 2 thread just for you. Was gonna credit you with the idea, but I'm not sure how to link user names on here. :D

Anwar likes this.
  11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Having enjoyed season one I tried the comic.

Mistake. I'll stick with the adaptation.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't read the comic, but from what I've read about it, I think the series has probably toned some things down for the better. Often when I hear about adaptations watering down the source it's not a good thing but I think here that it might make the material a bit more palatable.

13. LaxScrutiny

I haven't read the comic either, but I'm enjoying the story and really have no problems with the plot or presentation. Taking as is, it fulfills my needs for a show. Whether I think it's "great" needs another season at least, but I'm certainly watching.

14. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

This is so very true. I'm not at all a fan of the comic, though I've read almost all of it. (One of my buddies is a HUGE fan, so I borrow them from him.) The show has to reorganize, tone back, and spend more time justifying the comic's rather extensive excesses, and it's the better for it.

It's rare that I think an adaptation exceeds the original work, but being forced to be more economical with where they go and how they get there has definitely improved this series. It blows the source out of the water so completely it isn't even really a fair comparison.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The artwork in the comic is terrible, a lot of the Supers are utterly 1-Dimensional, Hughie looks like a drug addict 50% of the time, the plots in the series are utterly moronic like "Herogasm", etc.

The series is overall far superior.

16. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

All of Smallville?
    You know It's ten seasons right :)
    What do you think of the show?

I loved the show when It aired, I wish I had the time to rewatch it

17. LaxScrutiny

Yeah, I watched all ten seasons. :)
    I enjoyed it much more, reason being during the original broadcast it felt like so many things were dragging out and it was often one step forward, two steps back. Streaming several episodes a day I could see the plots advancing at a fast pace and it was all more coherent.
    With Jensen Ackle's arc, he showed a real range of acting, from funny to romantic to manipulative to dangerous. He did a great job on that show, and it really came out watching so many episodes back-to-back. I finally get what the writers were doing with the show. I think for them, they had all the scripts in front of them and saw it as one story, while for us at the time, sometimes waiting weeks for an episode, the story lines and character sub-plots never seemed to resolve.
    It was painful at times watching Alison Mack, given how she's ended up.
    "And now, the season premiere of Smallville" sent shivers down my spine every season, the show did the best job ever on these. The season two premiere remains one of my all time favourite tv episodes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm glad I'm not alone in preferring the show to the comic.

The comic tries so hard to be "uncensored" it comes over as somewhat ...pathetic. And as said earlier, the art is horrible.

The show is better all around. It's not a 14 year old's idea of what gritty and adult is...

Anwar likes this.
  19. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the comics, but really, there you can't really understand why heroes are so popular. There are virtually no super villains, heroes don't really fight common criminals and don't help common people (the few times they do it is a disaster). Every single hero (except Starlight) is corrupt and borderline criminal. People unconditionally believe the heroes' "adventures" told in comics as they are the real thing and absolutely NO ONE questions it. The only people in the world who know the truth are the titular Boys. It's maddening. At least the tv show makes sense showing why people love superheroes and some of them aren't so morally bankrupt.

Anwar likes this.
  20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

This show is too awesome. Highlander is such A scary individual. A true sociopath. Stormfront is a well. She just murdered all those people for no reason. She could actually be worse.
    I like that it’s weekly now. Makes it feel like a true tv show.