The Artificial Intelligence Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by rahullak, Mar 6, 2020.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

2. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[SIZE=6]Giant, free index to world’s research papers released online

[/SIZE]

publiusr likes this.
  3. think

think About it! Premium Member

Living robots made in a lab have found a new way to self-replicate, researchers say:
    https://www.npr.org/2021/12/01/1060027395/robots-xenobots-living-self-replicating-copy
    this is xenobots made by an AI system I guess something is to be said of AI making organic life forms and such ?
    and of course the video is on youtube of them self replicating :)

yeah. and it makes me happy to have an AI thread discussion here in this section so I did not have to put up some kind of tread just for this topic- :)

rahullak likes this.
  4. think

AlphaGo - The Movie | Full award-winning documentary
    this is the documentary of the AI that wins at Go playing the best the best of the best number one Go player in the world --- Go is seriously big in the orient --- I mean really big-- yeah- I am posting this as it is an AI topic that --- deepmind is AI named in this video here --
    AI is the best player and wins world wide

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

An interesting technology for long-term storage:

Scientists claim big advance in using DNA to store data - BBC News

I don't envisage it ever replacing hard drives or SSDs but who knows? The same goes for DNA computing.

DNA computing - Wikipedia

Now building neutral networks out of real neurons that can reorganise - that would also be interesting, especially if it could be combined with evolutionary algorithms to optimise the network through plasticity. The novel of Contact by Carl Sagan described the aliens instructing us how to build such a device. That bit didn't make it into the movie.

think and rahullak like this.
  6. rahullak

Advancing mathematics by guiding human intuition with AI

@CorporalCaptain Right in your wheelhouse!

I got the gist. It's intriguing in how it could be used to further human-machine collaboration not just in science but also in other fields.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  7. Asbo Zaprudder

Perhaps an AI could help someone deduce whether Category Theory and Constructor Theory are fundamentally linked.

think likes this.
  8. rahullak

Asking for a friend? ;)

Asbo Zaprudder and think like this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Interesting and would genetic memory chips outlast their silicon cousins in terms of durability?

10. Asbo Zaprudder

In long-term cryonic storage with appropriate error detection and correction when reading was necessary, potentially thousands of years. Lose the cooling, however, and it would quickly degrade. The problem as I see it is the assumption that civilisation is stable enough to maintain the support systems and the knowledge required to access the data. For SSDs and hard drives, you're talking about tens of years at most in a redundant RAID configuration.

11. Gingerbread Demon

What would a genetic SSD be like and would you need external systems to put it in a PC?

12. Asbo Zaprudder

No idea really - you're the person suggesting it. SSDs don't have the required degree of plasticity, I suspect. They are data storage devices, not computing devices. Real brains can rewire themselves; simulated neural networks have to, well, simulate this.

Eventually, someone will integrate neural network computation more fully into memory systems to improve efficiency of that sort of AI. How plasticity and genetic algorithm optimisation will be implemented, I don't know but nature already did the job in wetware.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  13. Gingerbread Demon

No I meant if we get to the point where we can have genetic memory chips would they need anything to keep the material "fresh" or could they be self contained? If the answer to that is yes and you don't need any kind of external support to keep the chip's fresh could you then have a genetic SSD?

14. Asbo Zaprudder

At the moment, what is being developed is more like long-term offline backup storage. It has much longer write and read times than SSDs and hard drives. It also requires cryogenics. I don't know if it can be made workable in non-controlled environments but ordinary DNA and RNA usually degrade very rapidly after an organism dies. I expect there might be more robust atomic-scale substrates that could be used - all they have to do is encode 0s and 1s. A scanning tunnelling microscope could in principle be used to perform both reading and writing. This was being researches nearly 30 years ago - I don't know whether it still is.

Scanning Tunneling Microscopes (STM) - Functionality and Applications (azonano.com)

15. Asbo Zaprudder

It sounds like a valid area of research - I'm sure there is at least one PhD's worth there.

rahullak likes this.
  16. think

The danger of AI is weirder than you think | Janelle Shane

AI problems (stupid AI). like it doesn't know what a human is --- or the meaning of words or things like that you know communication ---

17. Gingerbread Demon

Let AI run government, can't be worse then the meatbags

18. rahullak

DeepMind’s AI helps untangle the mathematics of knots

These are two examples of how AI/ML can be used to "narrow the field" when dealing large amounts of data or highly complex data, so that patterns that are actually relevant can be highlighted and then further explored/proved/theorised.

@Christmas Corps What are your thoughts on these techniques and application?

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's starting to look like a tentative step along the way to cyborg intelligence, specifically as it pertains to applying computers to recognize patterns in data that is beyond human ability to perceive.

rahullak likes this.
  20. Asbo Zaprudder

Neural networks should be able to recognise patterns in multidimensional spaces so I'm wondering if they could be used to help determine the likely configuration of the six-dimensional Calabi-Yau manifold or seven-dimensional Joyce manifold on which strings vibrate to give rise to the properties of what we identify as fundamental particles.

Dimensions, Wound Strings, Branes, and Calabi Yau Spaces (archive.org)