The Arboretum

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by sevenstars, Mar 30, 2020.

1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

The harvest season is hitting its stride now. I've brought in a haul like this three times this week. The bad thing is, there is a shortage of canning lids and our stash is running low. Still room in the freezer, though.

veggies.png

2. sevenstars

sevenstars Captain Captain

When I first started vegetable gardening, THIS is what I envisioned. Knocking on my neighbors' doors with baskets overflowing with earth's bounty. Ten years later, I'm still squeezing out a couple of tomatoes a week and fighting every pest known to man.

Your harvest is amazing and beautiful :)

J.T.B. likes this.
  3. J.T.B.

Ugh, that is rough, so sorry!

Well thanks, but I don't know about amazing, it is pretty much on auto-pilot at this point. It has been a good year for tomatoes, though. I'm also getting one or two English cucumbers, one zucchini and 1½-2 cups of raspberries a day, and 2-3 quarts of tomatillos 3 times a week. But my bell peppers crapped out this year, I'll get next to nothing from two plants.

The herbs are good except for the lavender and sage at the foreground. It's where my son parks and I think the sun reflecting off the silver car scorches them.
    herbs_2020aug31.jpg

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

you could perhaps use a net to cast shade on them.
    Lavender has its own head - mine took 6 year to decide whether it'd rather die or pull through, but now it's getting pretty strong :)

Gary Mitchell and J.T.B. like this.
  5. J.T.B.

It's a good idea, thanks. Or tell my son to park on the street! There's another lavender (barely visible top right) that does fine. Both are five years old IIRC.