The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I also forgot to mention that "Evolution of Anakin" package looks ridiculously awesome.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There was also a big KREO playset of the Enterprise at Toyfair.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I just learned something interesting about light-up Star Wars figures like the Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Vader we saw in the Movie Heroes line in 2012. They have nonreplaceable batteries that will eventually go bad and corrode the internal circuitry of the figures, which is now something that runs counter to European Union regulations regarding removable batteries in consumer devices. EU countries now require all such devices and toys that contain batteries to have a way to remove and replace them, whereas the United States at present does not have such a regulation on the books.

Unless Hasbro changes its standard operating procedure with light-up figures and makes the batteries replaceable that means only the United States and other non-European countries such as Canada will be able to sell them on their domestic store pegs. The company might have to make light-up characters U.S. or non-European exclusives to avoid breaking EU law. That, or make removable battery figures for Europe and non-removable battery figures for much of the rest of the world.

The things you learn about the European Union reading about Toy Fair.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I couldn't care less about the white Phoenix, but I really need that 90s Jim Lee Jean. I grew up watching the X-Men cartoon, so that is my Jean Grey. I'd really like the modern Hawkeye and the rest of the Wrecking Crew, too.

Hasbro made me so happy today. I can't wait for what Mattel has in store tomorrow.

5. Admiral_Young

I've been wanting a White Phoenix Jeannie since I first saw her in that costume so I'm very pleased indeed. My dream Jean Grey figure though would be a New X-Men Jean Grey figure based on Frank Quietly art :)

Hasbro Marvel wise made me happy ;) Should be interesting to see what Matty has in store.

6. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

A brief break from the Toy Fair drooling...the latest adventures of Clint and Tasha (and the other Avengers).

Avengers Assemble....Valentine's Day cards!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And cookies, too!

[​IMG]

7. cooleddie74

Sweet. :)

And yes, the pun WAS intended that time.

8. Admiral_Young

Even Director Fury and Loki are in the spirit of things :)

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hyperion and Scarlet Spider are the only must haves for me. some of the others like Rocket Raccoon and Protector, i'll decide when i see em in the store.

10. cooleddie74

The Clone Wars action figure line is effectively dead and buried after the first (and only) wave of 2013. :( Hasbro's Toy Fair reps told the collecting sites that they're ending it.

I didn't care for it at first and steered clear of buying more than a few of them the first couple of years, but starting with the 2010-11 "Shadow of the Dark Side" packaging design containing the Galactic Battle Game components I started picking up more and more of the often wildly cool and interesting characters from the TV series. For the record, the prequel-era Chewbacca from this line is better than many of the figures based on the movie character....he's incredibly detailed and simply stunning.

There were quite a few figures from the line I never got to see in stores and cost WAY too much on the secondary market (the animated Darth Sidious being the main one, a figure that is probably one of the hardest-to-find SW toys of the last three years) but at least the line had a run of close to five straight years, which is a lot longer than most figure lines of any franchise last these days. Farewell, Clone Wars. You were enjoyed. At least the show itself still has at least one year left in it.

11. cooleddie74

Here's the electronic 13" Anakin-to-Vader transforming figure with snap-on armor, movie dialogue and two-color lightsaber.

I have to confess I'm actually kinda impressed by this thing. For $25 they're giving kids and collectors quite a bit of play value, and the Vader armor snaps on easily and looks pretty good.

[​IMG]

12. OdoWanKenobi

Ooh, I'd love to be able to build that team. I think Xorn is the only one we've even gotten from that team besides a Wolverine way back in the old Toybiz X-men Classics line that could use an update. The Cyclops should have an alternate head with no visor so it can double as Cyclops from the second half of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

Poor Age of Apocalypse Jean. Nobody wants you.

Rocket Raccoon is the mini-BAF for the second wave. You'll have to buy all of the figures sans-variants if you want to get him.

13. Admiral_Young

I really like the Rogue figure. I will most likely pick her up since I like her current costume. I saw too we're getting an updated Emma Frost...and Dark Phoenix Cyclops...I am for sure picking up Scott despite the fact that I disliked Avengers Vs X-men for the most part.

Different subject...I saw youtube review videos for the Diamond Select Enterprise-E and Enterprise-B and both got overwhelming reviews by the person who did them. So far I haven't seen a truly negative reaction to either ship.

14. OdoWanKenobi

Or, as I like to call him, Nightwing Cyclops. ;)

15. cooleddie74

Looks like those reduced-scale ships (Jango Slave 1, etc.) are going to be continued for the remainder of the year, only switched from the green Yoda packaging to the newer "Vader Reaching Out" design template towards the end of summer.

I guess it doesn't really matter with the four new Vintage Collection vehicles hitting along with the delayed Endor AT-AT Walker finally coming to Toys "R" Us later this spring. The kids and less discriminating can have those smaller vehicles.

16. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I really want that AT-AT Walker! The more I look at it the more I want Slave 1.

17. cooleddie74

Canadian Toys "R" Us stores (some of them, anyways) have already gotten the new Endor AT-AT in multilingual packaging. The Walker got delayed for the U.S. market because of the Big Millennium Falcon hitting our stores and the last-minute changes to the 2013 toy lineup.

18. OdoWanKenobi

Whoo! On the Mattel front, we get some awesome DC news.

The Batman, Penguin, and Riddler that we saw before were shown, along with a Surfing Contest Batman :lol: Also, a Batman and Robin two-pack with a wall to climb! Apparently, this two-pack will be the only way to get Robin. :( That's just a stupid move. Joker and Catwoman are confirmed as in the works, but not on display.

Fire was revealed for Club Infinite Earths. Now, bring on Ice. You can't have one without the other.

Batman Unlimited series 3 will include:
    Red Rain Vampire Batman
    Batman Beyond (with wings this time!)
    Damian Wayne Robin

I've been wanting a Damian forever! It's also great to get a more accurate Batman Beyond figure. The Vampire Batman will be another cool variant to add to my Batshelf.

19. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I just saw some images over at Action Figure Insider of the prototype for the new Masters of the Universe Castle Greyskull. I was a little to old when Heman first came out so the line was never been high on my list but I am tempted to start collecting just to get my hands on that castle. Mattel has flat-out knocked that one out of park.

And NECA has some really nice figures for Aliens coming out. I would love to have a couple of those too.

20. cooleddie74

Wait, now it turns out (according to the site Galactichunter) that the final wave of The Clone Wars won't be released in the United States, only in Europe and Asia. :( :scream:

If this is true, there go any hopes of army building that very last animated Battle Droid and the cool-looking 501st Clone with the red highlights and jetpack. There were also a new R2-D2, Anakin and Obi-Wan in this wave along with a few straight repacks that didn't matter so much.

I know we've gotten some great news from Hasbro since the Fair began, but it's decisions like this that have me rolling my eyes and facepalming like a mutha. The Clone Wars line deserves to go out with the American market having a fair shot at it, but it's apparent that the company has just all but completely stopped giving a crap about these figures in the last year. A shame. It used to be a stupendous line with awesome characters....and lots of them.