The 10 best shows on tv right now regardless of genre?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jayson1, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The Bridge season 4 on BBC 4.
    The 100 season 5 on E4.
    Marvel's Agents of Shield season 5 on E4.

That's it. I can't be arsed to watch Legion season 2 or Westworld season 2 on FOX (UK) and Sky Atlantic. They've lost their appeal to me - like Arrow, The Flash etc. did last year.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

There is so little worth spending my time on now. I didn't watch Marvel Agents of Shield last season or Flash because the story lines left me cold but I'll give them another chance. Five of these "best" shows aren't actually on right now:
    Face Off (last season, darn it)
    The Magicians
    Dr. Who
    Lost in Space
    The Orville
    Lucifer

3. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Throwing a little love to Cobra Kai - a real surprise for me.

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Better Call Saul
    The Good Place
    Rick & Morty
    Elementary
    Doctor Who
    Billions
    Supernatural
    Black-ish
    Cobra Kai
    Lucifer

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Great Shows:

Doctor Who
    Rick & Morty
    Venture Brothers (even if it takes years between seasons, its still technically getting made)
    Steven Universe

Upcoming Show that I'm 99.999999% sure will deserve to be on this list in the Great Category:

Young Justice (Season 3 is right around the corner)

Decent enough show that might be cancelled but that hasn't be announced one way or another so I'm counting it:

Justice League Action (not as good as Batman: TB&TB, but entertaining enough and gives an occasional chuckle).

Since I don't feel like counting anime, there are the only currently in production TV shows that I think are any good. Its been a really bad few years for TV, especially if you're primarily a Sci Fi/Fantasy viewer like myself. Non Sci-Fi/Fantasy wise I don't think there has been a decent drama-ish show since House went off the air, at least that's the last non-Sci Fi/Fantasy live action show that I really got into.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Looking forward to the return of WYNONNA . . . .

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  7. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting to look at these lists. Some familiar contenders and some expected common ground between people, but also some things I've literally never heard of before. (Ah, "peak TV," just too much to keep track of!) Like Atlanta or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or People of Earth or Brockmire or Superstore or One Piece or Mary Kills People ... I'd have to resort to Wikipedia to have even a clue what these are.

FWIW, my personal top ten from this past year or two would probably be...

Arrow
    ---Uneven, but still a sentimental favorite
    Colony
    ---Inventive and suspenseful
    Counterpart
    ---Incredibly taut, slow-build drama with brilliant acting
    Doctor Who
    ---Because who doesn't love the Doctor?
    The Expanse
    ---Probably the best SF show on TV today
    Game of Thrones
    ---Deterioriated a lot since it went past the books in S5, but still a sentimental favorite
    The Man in the High Castle
    ---Went beyond its book from practically its first episode, but gets better as it goes
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    ---A period piece with subtle commentary and serious comedy
    Sense8
    ---JMS and the Wachsowskis. Like nothing else I've ever seen.
    Timeless
    ---Something of a guilty pleasure, but I just love a good clever time-travel yarn!

Yes, these are in alphabetical order... I don't have the time or energy to try to rank them. And no, Star Trek: Discovery doesn't quite make the list, much as I would like it to. (Which seems to be the case for a lot of us. But it isn't a complete indictment... lots of other enjoyable shows also didn't make the cut. Ten is a small number, and I'm resisting indulging in an "honorable mention" list.)

And yes, these are almost all SF or other "genre" shows... it's almost embarrassing the wealth of riches out there for those of us with "geekish" interests, compared to my childhood, when it seemed like TV was all cops and doctors all the time. (Although I do miss a good sitcom. Those are rare on the ground these days. The last really ingenious one I followed was Community.)

Meanwhile, other recent or current shows I've heard strong things about and have "on my list" but just haven't had a chance to try yet (hey, I am trying to finish a dissertation, after all!...) would include...

Altered Carbon
    The Americans
    Black Lightning
    Enlightened
    Falling Water
    The Handmaid's Tale
    Killing Eve
    The Leftovers
    Legion
    Mindhunter
    Stranger Things
    Turn: Washington's Spies
    Westworld

Of course, there are also shows other have recommended that I've tried but just can't quite get into. Examples that spring to mind include Billions, Modern Family, Orphan Black, and (even though I loved the source material) Preacher. To each his own, I guess...