Terrible TOS performances....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Grant, Nov 13, 2012.

1. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't "Kowal" a championship level pinball player, circa the 23rd century?

John Winston. Has anybody ever interviewed him re his tenure on TOS?

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I think Gorshin was trying to do his Kirk Douglas impression half the time.

3. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

5. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just read the interview with John Winston (the first link). Very interesting! I did notice, though, that he comments on how he is upset that Kyle was killed of in TWOK. I never got the impression from the film, though, that Kyle was killed. I thought the people on Regula I were killed, but that the crew of the Reliant were just marooned on Ceti Alpha V and that Kirk and the Enterprise retrieved them later. Am I wrong?

6. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Killed off?? News to me.

7. Bones_McCoy21

Bones_McCoy21 Commander Red Shirt

The... Worst...
    I.... think... Kirk.... was... the ...worst...

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Arthur Coleman in Turnabout Intruder was bland at best.

Ed McCready played the doctor on the Exeter like he was from New Jersey. He would have fit in on Janus 6.

Tige Andrews played the Klingon captain in Friday's Child with little gusto. Actually no differently than he did when he was a regular on The Mod Squad. They could almost be the same character.

Julie Newmar was pretty terrible, too. She is such an odd actress anyway. She's great to look at, but she comes off distant in everything.

I know this is heresy, but Marianna Hill played Helen Noel in the most annoying fashion. Maybe it was the character as written, but seriously, she was grating. Everything was an obvious, over the top flirt or push to make Kirk uncomfortable.

I could have lived without Barbara Anderson in Conscience of the King as well.

Seriously, though, the performance that keeps me from watching the episode goes to Jill Ireland. She was beautiful, had a smashing figure (which oddly was not shown on the series known for exploiting women's appearance), but was the worst actress to get a lot of work. No idea why she was so highly employed, she was routinely terrible.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Harry Landers' guest status must have been due to being a regular on the doctor show "Ben Casey" a few years earlier. Coleman was pretty much written as an incompetent, unethical wimp blinded by love.

Though he apparently had some fun, because it was the first time as an actor his costume wasn't street clothes.

Watch her old series "My Living Doll", where she plays a robot. You'll find her perfectly cast.

The character was hastily changed from Janice Rand, due to Grace Lee Whitney being dropped.

I thought her final revelation scenes were wonderfully theatrical.

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. In fact, i think she nailed her performance because she was supposed to be so caught up in her status as an actress coupled with her theatrical plotting of murders that it pays off when exposed, because she lost the ability to hide the insane level of her devotion to her father.

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Arnold Moss. It's hard to believe from Conscience of the King that he taught acting. I have friend who had Moss as an acting teacher. That friend later went on to become... a lawyer.

12. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"You are.....you are as I loved you..." Not that the best actor could have gotten much mileage out of that line, it still drove home how good he wasn't.

How she was able to work this into something successful on Batman is beyond my understanding.

Which doesn't really excuse much. It would have been worse to see Janice acting so unprofessionally since she was lower on the totem pole as a Yeoman.

Which was the only point in the episode I found her to be effective. I loved her climactic mad scene, but up till then, she was really intolerable for me.

Still wondering how the "surging and throbbing" line got past the NBC censors.

13. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Moss was a brilliant actor, and I find his performance on Trek to be no exception. What rings false to you?

On a side note, I often wish my fellow trial lawyers had had some theatrical training. Most could use it. Funnily enough, whenever I'm in front of a jury, I try to channel Kirk-era Shatner.