Terminator: Salvation *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

So I just finished watching this and I have to say I was impressed. After being a huge fan of the first two and having my high hopes for the third destroyed, I really was expecting the worst for this fourth film.

Does anyone have a link to a site that discusses all the different terminator machines that were shown in the movie?

My favorite scene had to be the one where the two motorbike terminators run out from the legs of the huge mech. Man, imagine sending that huge mech back into the 1980's.

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then the franchise would have been over a lot sooner. Got a problem finding someone? Level the city! ;)

Mark

3. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

One thing I liked was how a lot of stuff was done without CGI. It seemed like most of the terminators were models, which is always better imo.

4. Mark de Vries

Mark de Vries Commodore Commodore

Agreed. Models are too often underrated. Sometimes they really are far better than CGI.

My favourite visual was the dogfight between a HK and a Warthog, especially when they both flew out of the canyon. First time we've seen a HK in proper daylight?

I really liked the film, and think it's a worhty sequel to the first two. Nice touches that relate back to the previous films: Sarah Connor's voice on the tape of course, but also the use of the Guns N' Roses song.

5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

they used 50-ish terminator models, almost all of the desert scenes were filmed at a studio about 12 miles from where I live, just south of the sunport in Albuquerque, I had contemplated breaking into the studio to steal one of them

6. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I haven't seen the movie yet, I guess it'll be out on DVD soon.

I'm anxious to see the CG Arnold.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw it a while ago and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Terminator Wiki or Wikipedia might need have something on all the different kinds of Terminators and technology.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Terminator wiki should have info on all the Terminator types used in the movie and then some: http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Terminator_Wiki

My favorite of the new batch of Terminators was in the video game but not in the film unfortunately: http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Series_7T

That Tetrapod would've been much sweeter to watch in action than the T-600s.

As for T4, I thought the look and feel of the film were great, but the characterization left a lot to be desired. John Connor was too remote, and made some pretty reckless and stupid decisions. He just wasn't someone I liked or routed for, despite the fact that Bale's involvement really got me into the theater. I was disappointed with his performance. Also, Kate was a cipher and the rest of his crew didn't get much in the way of development. Perhaps Moon Bloodgood's character Blair got the most. Common was horrible as Barnes.

The storyline with Marcus and Kyle was much better and I wish this had been more about what the movie was supposed to be about. I think the shift from Marcus to John Connor as the main character and TPTB punking out on the original ending for the film, without going back and really revising the story all the way through to reflect that fundamental change, really hurt the film. I'm not trying to spoil too much for those who haven't watched the film but Skynet does somethings in the movie that left me scratching my head. There are two cool cameos though and a few nods to the previous movies that are nice.

Overall, a decent attempt at the future war, but it could've been much better. I've heard some of McG's plans for a T5, and if it does get made, its going to be even worse than T4, which overall, wasn't that bad.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Any word on the differences between the director's cut and the theatrical version? The theatrical version felt like it had a lot of the character moments cut out in order to have a shorter, more action packed movie--to its detriment.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Directors cut has some fan service in it with a hand over boobs shot and some cursing. I couldn't see much else difference.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished watching it myself and really liked it. With all the bad press I was expecting a shit-fest and was pleasantly surprised.

I really don't get the hate. I think it's infinitely better than T3.

12. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

I wanted to see the Arnold pick up the big gun. I thought the movie trailer was pointing to that kind of reveal.

[​IMG]

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The extended cut being released - from what has been revealed - will only have Moon Bloodgood's topless scene readded to the film. It was removed to secure the PG-13 rating that the studio wanted.

There are, however, over 40 other minutes that are still unreleased. Also, from what was reported a while ago, the extended version will only be released on Blu-Ray. They are only releasing a bare bones edition on DVD.

14. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

I was hoping that wasn't going to be true. So fucking dumb.

Piracy FTW.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If their not adding the 40 extra minutes to the film, as far as the extended edition is concerned, big fucking deal. I'm in no need of the Blu-Ray or DVD.

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

looking around on the Terminator Wiki, I noticed that the Bethesda PC game SKYnet is not on there...it had some cool terminators, too, like the Raptor and the Flencer

17. Spiderpope

Spiderpope Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I watched Salvation expecting it to be dire, and those expectations were met unfortunately. However there is one positive aspect to the film: Anton Yelchin. He was by far the best actor in the film, and i hope the negative reaction to Salvation doesnt damage his career too much.

18. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That's like saying getting an eye poked out is infinitely better than having your genitals smashed.

19. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

Overall I found T4 to be enjoyable and I didn't have nearly as many problems with it as I was expecting based on all the negative reviews.

There was one scene in particular that I loved: John Connor blasting the skin off the Arnie terminator with his grenade launcher. With the first shot, the Terminator just rears back, like "You want some?" and in the second shot it actually takes a defensive pose to avoid critical damage. The effect of the skin sloughing off was amazing.

I also liked when the foundry got dumped on the Terminator's head. Again, it adopts a defensive pose (instead of just taking full damage like every other Terminator) and it continues to fight despite the harsh damage.

The other scene I loved was when Anton Yelchin drove a tool into the neck of a T-600 and then has to run from the resulting chaos. I especially liked how we see things from the Terminator's perspective and the audio is cutting in and out as the thing glitches.

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with several posters above me that the practical Terminators were really cool. There's a time and place for CG, but the models worked really, really well here. They looked great.