Spoilers Terminator: Dark Fate Review and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by David cgc, Nov 3, 2019.

?

Grade Terminator: Dark Fate

1. A+ “Come with me if you want to live.”

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. A

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. B+ “I’ll be back.”

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  6. B-

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  7. C+ “Chill out, dickwad.”

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. C-

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  10. D+ “All you know how to create is death and destruction!”

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. F “I know now why you cry.”

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, purely from a character standpoint it seemed consistent with her outlook in T2. Her assumption in DF wasn't that a women couldn't be "the saviour" but that others would only see a woman as a walking incubator for "the saviour".

Also, I'm not sure how anyone could miss that Sarah was and is a militant feminist (literally), I mean just look at John's reaction. He's heard this rant before...a lot.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's hard to reason that Judgement Day is only 4 weeks upstream.

Being Human had a great take on a baby messiah. Because there was a prophecy baby, all other heroes sat back and waited, and waited, and waited, for the prophecy baby to tack a whack at the apocalypse, who never got around to saving the world.

It was actually an evil prophecy, to help out evil, so the baby all grown up, time traveled back and killed herself before she put heroism into a holding pattern as evil set up shop and closeded down people.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a question of basic math. James Cameron made Sarah the mother of the savior in T1 because, by the time of his figuring of the future war and the time displacement device (2029), Sarah, assuming she was born the same year as Hamilton, would be 73 - not exactly prime fighting age, especially in a post-nuclear wasteland. (Also, Sarah had to be the mother to make a closed time loop story, which all the sequels necessarily threw out.)

By 2020, however, 2029 is less than a decade away. Granted, the Legion future is a different timeline than the Skynet future, but machines and AI have come a long way since 1984. So, when presented with a 30-ish woman (though Reyes could well have been playing several years younger) who she's told is the future of humanity, Sarah has no logical reason to assume the alleged savior will be the woman's son, rather than the woman herself - but the movie's male writers have her do so anyway.

Didn't Dark Fate Sarah also specifically assume the alleged new savior would be a son of Dani's, and not a daughter? In which case, your post is more bluster than cogent reasoning.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I was reading the latest issue of Cinefex yesterday, and one of the fun things about the magazine is they discuss the visual effects of the movie in roughly plot-order, so they serve as a very rough synopsis of the movie as it was being made. Sometimes things are glossed over because they're irrelevant or to obscure spoilers, but sometimes they reflect an earlier version of the movie (the big example being Will Smith's I am Legend, whose breakdown described the original ending well before it was publicized anywhere else).

Anyway, the article mentions as an aside that Dani being the resistance leader is revealed in Grace's first flashback, where she was fighting the terminators with her squad and was injured, rather than being a twist late in the film. It could be Sarah's ongoing belief that Dani was the new Sarah and not the new John was something that was added late in the movie, perhaps to underscore the generational shift on a meta-level (a woman going from being the hero's mother to the hero, or the meme going around a couple years ago with clips from Star Wars and Wonder Woman about how the princesses of '80s films have become the generals of today's).

5. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Sarah is nine years younger than Linda.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I think it had less to do with the math of when the future war happened and more to do with wanting the twist of Kyle Reese being John's father without realizing it. Also there's a certain poetry to the idea that, while we might think that our own lives are meaningless, we have no idea what we might do that has a profound impact on generations not yet born. In that respect, having her be a second hand savior feels a bit more apt.

Were it not for those elements, I don't think Cameron would have had any qualms with moving up the dates of the future sequences to be in the '90s or early '00s or something with Sarah being the leader. The Terminator was made in the '80s, back when everyone seemed to assume that we would be nuking ourselves sooner rather than later anyway.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never seen that before, it was hilarious.

fireproof78 likes this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I want a Shakespeare trilogy of films just like that.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  12. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

You should definitely watch The Last Action Hero. Extremely underrated.

crookeddy and Kai "the spy" like this.
  13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Who wouldn't pay to see this movie?

fireproof78 likes this.