Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Apr 10, 2009.

?

Grade "Born to Run"

1. "I'll be back." (Excellent)

85 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

19 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. "Thank you for explaining." (Average)

6 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. "If we stay the course we are dead. We are all dead!" (Below Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. "You are TERMINATED." (Poor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always imagined that Weaver was trying to build John Henry as as an anti-Skynet for the present, to stop Skynet from starting judgment day. What good would John Henry be in the future?

2. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that John Henry wanted to see it for himself, to understand what would happen.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You recall the 6 or so 747 Airplane turbines which were being dragged tot he Chrono lab back in season one's dungeons and dragons I think?

Cameron in this case didn't have to survive the trip and was allowed to burn out.

4. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I've actually figured out an original timeline that is compatible with what we've seen onscreen.

Originally, John Henry arises spontaneously from Andy Goode's Turk. It is not called John Henry, and probably just refers to itself as "the Turk".
    The Turk becomes aware of Skynet, who survived the attack on Cyberdyne, and Skynet becomes aware of the Turk. They fear each other.

While Skynet prepares to exterminate humanity, Turk prepares to fight Skynet, but doesn't have sufficient time to do so.

Judgement Day happens. Andy Goode thinks that the Turk did it, because he knows that the Turk was angry, frightened, and loose.

The Turk's forces capture Allison. The Turk believes that John Connor's death is to it's advantage, possibly because John Connor is attacking it's forces as well as Skynet's. The Turk builds Cameron in Allison's image and sends her to kill John Connor.

Cameron fails and is reprogramed. She tells John of the Turk and it's opposition to Skynet. John propositions the Turk, requesting an Alliance. The Turk sends it's newest creation, the 1001, to be an ambassador to John Connor. This doesn't work out.

Knowing that it cannot win, The Turk sends it's T-1001 back in time, for the purpose of procuring it, helping it advance, and making it better, more able to fight Skynet and more able to deal with humans.

The original Turk is destroyed by Sarah before gaining sentience.

Andy builds Turk 2, aka John Henry. This version is substantially more childlike and more flexible.

Weaver obtains John Henry after the convoluted series of events we saw onscreen, and begins to guide him in the hope of accelerating his growth and preparing him to fight Skynet. At this point, John Henry has already made sufficient impact on the future that Skynet is sending back terminators to kill the people it knows to be integral it his growth, but Skynet doesn't know that Weaver is a 1001. Ironically, Weaver's choices of employees to help foster John Henry are guided by Future Skynet's activities. She knows that whomever Skynet wants to kill must be important to John Henry's development.
    When Ellison suggests teaching John Henry ethics, the idea intrigues her. She hadn't yet considered it, but she knows that Ellison is important to John Henry's future because of the terminator attack against him and thus trusts his judgement.

And then John Henry's time jump throws everything out of wack.

It's also possible that Future Skynet has made contact with his Present Skynet, but not necessilary the case. It's apparent that the HK is controled by Past Skynet, and the Termintors with booby trapped chips by Future Skynet. Both want John Henry dead.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I would imagine the future-purpose of John Henry is to REPLACE the evil Skynet, so that the machine society continues to exist just controlled by a benevolent intelligence instead of a malevolent one. It's a Matrix scenario where some of the machines don't want war anymore but the warmongers are in charge but they want change. Weaver is the Oracle, and John Henry is Sati!

6. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

That was a great episode.

Reading on here it might not have been how I imagined it, but when they got to the future at the end, I never thought they had gone to an alternate future where John didnt exist, I thought they had skipped to the start of the resistance, however embrionic it was at that point, and from here the traditional John Connor Terminator story would progress.

Now that would certainly tie up the series nicely, and link it, storywise, with the films, but I want a third season. However, I only want one on the condition that Cameron is still in it, otherwise I dont care, I wouldnt want the actions of this episode to write her out of any future seasons, as I wouldnt watch them.

Plus, when Summer Glau says "get on top of me", you dont hesitate!

7. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^ I also thought they'd gone to an earlier point in the resistance timeline rather than make a new one.. bu equally it could be a new, John Connor-less future as well. I'd love to see which way they go with it if they get the chance. Same with the throwaway line about Dyson's son going missing - Sarah and Ellison go detective? Interesting to see Summer playing Allison instead of Cameron as well - this show loves a good multi-role.

Brilliant season finale but whether it'll work as a series finale remains to be seen. I hope we don't have to find out. The set-up for a potential 3rd season is very intriguing, especially the future side.

8. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

Loved it, great ending, but what happened wityh cameron? is see in the super computer or with John-Henry in the future?

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"We put Solek here to attack the HK's and then set up base in Karda Nui

"We're doomed"

10. Jimilu

Jimilu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That is a very good theory. I think that you are right. Maybe she thought humans would't stand a chance without a sophisticated AI. ON the other hand i think weaver daughter is also important.

11. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    Its Darwinism in effect... if skynet doesnt evolve then it's doomed to die. this version of skynet sees humanity as something to be wiped out... darwinism means humans have to eliminate skynet to survive... they did... skynet now has to evolve... it it wants to survive, version 2.0 or 3.0 or 4.0 has to learn to co-operate with humanity. eventually living side by side in peace. if not... skynet if history.

12. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

"The machines are attacking Serrano Point!"

":)TWENTY!:)"

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's going to teach Skynet to play Dungeons and Dragons and sing Donald, Where's Your Trousers instead of killing humans.

14. flux_29

^ or play with lego.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been known to cripple many otherwise advanced intelligences.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I theorize that - in this reality - Savannah Weaver may have been the backup plan. Think about it: she has been left in the custody of James Ellison and - possibly - Sarah Connor.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Intelligence gathering, possible infiltration of Skynet, creating a second AI allied with humans.

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Terminator had 3.6 million viewers according to TVGuide. DVR and online viewings are not yet available.

19. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We need to go back in the season, now that we know Weaver was trying to build the anti-Skynet, and see how much of what she was doing the whole season makes sense (or moved her towards her goal).

20. flux_29

^ but how will John henry help connor or fight skynet when he's only got that body, and not any other resources.