Terminator-202 "Automatic For the People" - Discuss/Grade <SPO>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Sep 14, 2008.

?

Grade "Automatic For the People"

1. "I'll be back." (Excellent)

11.1%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

48.6%
  3. "Thank you for explaining." (Average)

34.7%
  4. "Hasta La Vista Baby." (Below Average)

5.6%
  5. "You are Terminated." (Failure)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The episode was ok... Could have been better though.

It looked to me like futureguy was hit by something before he time traveled, and that his injuries were not due to the time traveling. Could be wrong though. They did a bad editing job though, and in one scene you can see that he's wearing boxers, even though clothes can't time travel.

I'm curious to see what's wrong with Cameron. It's obvious that somethings wrong, and she's acting even stranger than normal. If I were the Connors, I wouldn't sleep tight when she's around... (something they aren't doing either, I liked how Sara and BAG couldn't sleep around her).

Hated the Riley character though, and just how stupid is John? I read somewhere that his new haircut was a way for him to grow out of a whiny character and into a "man", but he's still a whiny bitch. And why would they still send him to school? Doesn't make sense, it's stupid, and it takes away the fun from the series.

I thought it was stupid to have the terminator impersonate Greenway at the end... Ok, they have files on people, they infiltrate.. Ok, but they send him to infiltrate the day before the big test? The other guy was sent how many years ahead?, even got married, now that's an infiltrator, but this guy was sent a day ahead.. ugh, I hope this is the last "last minute" infiltrator we see. I can take a terminator that has been sent to do an important task, and been doing his job for a long time.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I agree about "last-minute infiltrations" with normal Terminators. I was expecting Greenway to be T-1001, that would have made more a lot more sense.

3. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the episode. Though I'm not sure what Riley's deal is yet, I kinda liked her. She had a bit of an Emilie de Ravin vibe to her, which doesn't hurt. And I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, but the "Don Davis clone" at the nuke plant was played by Dean Norris, who was the SWAT Team Leader in T2.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ahhh Fox. Brilliant as always, with all the creative smarts of Rick Berman.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Then Fox Executives told the writers to add Riley earlier than what the writers wanted.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-e...Todays-News/Terminator-Sarah-Connor/800043244

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I do agree that it did seem unusual, but it was possible that they didn't send a Triple8 back to replace him. Maybe the Terminator wasn't outfitted with the infiltration software? Maybe they were worried about the Terminator being detected. These are just possibilities.

The producers have said they're going to use different model terminators during this season some of which will be modifications to the T-800 series.

It's also possible that he was specifically sent back because of a timeline change (in some storylines Skynet does have the ability to maintain records between timeline changes through some technobabble process) caused by the Resistance. Maybe the soldier at the beginning had a different task originally?

Actually we don't know, specifically, how long the Terminator was back there and even if he was the one who started the relationship. There is a scene in the episode where the wife (Barbara) talks to him about his car accident and how he'd changed since he was in it. It was possible that Vick killed the husband and replaced him.

Think Annorax in Star Trek: Voyager and you'll better be able to understand the time travel in this series.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  7. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why I think Riley = metal:

1. Didn't sleep, spent all night building a robot protector out of legos. Huh?
    2. Doesn't blink once the whole episode, just like Cameron (who can also smile and whatnot).
    3. Zeroes in on dopey John Baum and won't take no for an answer.
    4. Cameron says "I don't know, girls are complicated" when asked if she was a threat. I know of two "girl" terminators on this show, Cameron and Catherine. Both are more complicated than their more common male counterparts. I think she means "female" terminators are more specialized, harder to figure out.
    4. Carrots and Apples. Again, huh?
    5. Never calls her parents to let them know where she is, after telling John they are "intense."
    6. Her little "just practicing" phone call at the end. Weird.

I think she's metal and I think Cameron knows she's metal. I also think Cameron is in wait-and-see mode while she "thinks what to do" about it.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The biggest problem here is all this uncontrolled time travel. From a writing POV it leaves the story unbound with no sense of rules or consequence. Anyone can come from the future and alter anything it seems, WTF, it is the perfect deus ex machina. John and Sarah in big trouble? no problem, a solution from the future will come and save the day! In some ways im reminded of the early days of Smallville when it was 'meteor rock monster' of the week, now its terminator of the week, for everyone they destroy , boom there is another new on the following week. The first Terminator movie got it right by just having in Kyle vs. the Terminator IMO. Time to limit the time Travel I think and concentrate more on characters etc.. Want to really mess with the timeline , have Skynet find out (through DNA maybe from prison kyle in the future?) that young Kyle Reece (in 2007/08) is Johns dad and have a terminater go after him..

@nx1701g, haha, i was thinking also of Annorax and the threads of time earlier in comparison to this show. :)

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I was just thinking about something. Did the Connors really beat Skynet by preventing the meltdown? In the original timeline the power plant didn't have the automated systems designed by Skynet. Now it would. By having it fully automated the Resistance can't use it in the future any longer and those people still lost their jobs and screwed with our economy (what I'm a Democrat). I think, in this case, the Connors played right into Skynet's hands.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I just watched the episode online: It was a bullet in the temporal transport.

[​IMG]

11. Samurai8472

I dub thee Clark Connor

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Speculate away:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Samurai8472

looks like the set up for resistence members when they were kids. Although greenway might destroy that idea

Greenway Palo Alto

jay Lopez

stark 2007

Alpine Field

The rambaldi device

Having the time portal under fire is interesting.

14. Samurai8472

They were damned if they do, damned if they don't when Derek, Cameron and Sarah were in the bar.

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

True. But this was a third possibility not previously explored. The power plant was shut down, like theorized, but it was being reactivated under automatic control (which is most likely under the control of the T-1001 directly). I think that Skynet had somehow known that the Connors would stop the meltdown and they - essentially - played into Skynet's hands.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The producers said in an interview that she's human and won't become a part of John's terminator world... then again they said too that we wouldn't see any form of a T-1000...

I noticed a little continuity error in the dates. They say it's 2007 when Sarah and Derek are talking. Though this could have been written before the writer's strike and polished.

17. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

^ During phone tag, dates in November are mentioned. So I'm guessing that as far as the show's internal timeline is concerned, it's still 2007.

It's interesting that the things about this season that give me pause (a seeming excess of spare characters and time travel) are all things decreed from on high by Fox. TPTB are all very pleased. :borg: That said, I'm willing to give this season more than two episodes before I let fly with prophecies of doom as others have done.

I've noticed that Cameron has yet to have her eyes flash blue as in last season. I wonder if this is another subtle hint that she's still in "holodeck safeties disengaged" mode or just an FX gaffe.

Incidentally, the episode podcast is now available on the Fox Terminator website, though the last few minutes seem to be missing.

EDIT: As for the issue of Sarah and Cameron getting hired at the plant so easily, I noticed on a second viewing that when the two are watching the training cartoon, the forewoman that offers them jobs mentions that two janitors had called in "personal emergencies." Just after delivery of that line, we see Sarah look at Cameron and Cameron crack the slightest of smiles. So, it is strongly suggested that the whole situation was engineered ahead of time to create vacancies for Sarah and Cameron to conveniently fill. The writers were really not that slipshod here.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  18. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

is the room with the stuff written in blood at the new connor villa? Riley is metal,(could that teaser image of the face with the liquid metal tear be hers?) them saying she isin't is just disinformation, no way is she human, when the execs told them to bring her in earlier, they probably told them to make her a terminator, too

19. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Uh, those automated systems have nothing to tell about where the power goes to; cut power lines to Skynet and lead them to where only you want them to, and those automated systems matter not. Also, systems can be shut down, taken out, replaced, etc. I don't see it as doing much. Indeed, I don't think the T-1000 is even on Skynet's side. It seems to me it's got its own agenda.

20. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Agreed. But at least Star Trek could pull off being episodic. For this series, it's going to be too lame because it's not the kind of show where you just go off and explore at random. They've already set up tons of plots that need to be resolved, and if it's more episodic, that probably won't happen.