Ten Forward Lounge - Miscellaneous General Chat & Welcome Thread

cool! =) What branch of engineering, if it's not too personal a question?
I'm a biologist but physics and astronomy have always been 2 hobbies of mine and the thin border between biology and physics is particularly interesting (biophotons, for example).

Actually, my wife is the true Trekkie in residence. Klag son of M'Raq (obviously because of the name coincidence) is one of the few Star Trek characters I could have answered about coherently. However, I shall learn Trek lore as rapidly as possible. I am a science geek (40 years as an engineer) and a lover of space exploration. Just happy to be here.

Nice avatar, great memorability. I used to have Kilana as avatar, but I also like football players/football coaches and Law & Order SVU. So I change my avatars one in a while.....

No fears - 10 forward has traditionally been a neutral zone. Besides, the proper place for an assassination would ideally be the bridge of my vessel. Unless the thread has been pruned, the IKS Haqtaj is still moored in the Captains' Lounge. (And no, I won't get into details. Captains or higher ranks know which thread I mean and the lower ranks just have to wait and see. It's a pretty cool thread, I alwas found)

Last edited:
^which is why I never go there. The science subforum is bad enough, sometimes. I very much enjoy an exchange of opinions, and hearing other people's points can sometimes be very inspiring. But the art of polite and matter-of-fact discussion appears to be a red list species nowadays. All over the net there is so much hate speech, flaming and bitching. It's so uncivilized (let alone uncivil) and deeply un-scientific. As an unknown Babylonian wrote some 4500 years ago in a letter: our youngsters are scruffy and rude. Young people don't listen to their parents anymore. The end of civilisation is near! - It seems the world hasn't changed much.

Last edited:
More and more movie theaters in my region are switching to assigned seating, and I've witnessed a lot of older senior citizens being completely baffled by this concept.

The other day I saw this elderly couple sit in seats that weren't theirs, then when the rightful ticket holders showed up they moved to different seats, then when the rightful ticket holders showed up they moved to different seats, but the third time the rightful ticket holders showed up, the man got angry and shouted that he paid the same price for his tickets as they did. Rather than fight it, the third group of people just sat somewhere else.

The ticket seller would've asked them to choose their seats before completing the purchase, so I'm not sure how they would've been oblivious about assigned seating, unless it's just that hard to kick 50-60 years of habit. Has anyone else ever seen anything like that?

Last edited:
More and more movie theaters in my region are switching to assigned seating, and I've witnessed a lot of older senior citizens being completely baffled by this concept.

The other day I saw this elderly couple sit in seats that weren't theirs, then when the rightful ticket holders showed up they moved to different seats, then when the rightful ticket holders showed up they moved to different seats, but the third time the rightful ticket holders showed up, the man got angry and shouted that he paid the same price for his tickets as they did. Rather than fight it, the third group of people just sat somewhere else.

The ticket seller would've asked them to choose their seats before completing the purchase, so I'm not sure how they would've been oblivious about assigned seating, unless it's just that hard to kick 50-60 years of habit. Has anyone else ever seen anything like that?

That's terrible if you ask me. But in some regions it's not new. I remember when i went to see Godzilla when i lived in UAE back in 1998. The cinema house had a seat selection on the computers and that was the first time I realized it.

I think it should be finders=keepers. Better yet since cinema corporations have so many branches and individual theaters, they should have one room for or branch for per-selective seats and another for choose at arrival option.

Back