tell me about Star Wars novels!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I want to see TIE Fighter remade with updated graphics. Even a port to the (similar) Freespace 2 engine would be acceptable. That game rocked.

Incidentally, have TIE Defenders shown up in any novel or comic other than X-Wing #8: Isard's Revenge?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except by the time Luke is in his X-Wing Leia is off the Death Star and on a moon about to be destroyed. If Luke failed then Leia and the rebellion is dead. The branching point needed for Leia to stay with Vader is Luke failing to rescue her from the Death Star. Of course, then it's unclear how Luke ever managed to find the Rebellion. But then again, I never read this particular comic.

In her funeral they clearly showed her with a large belly. So presumably something was inserted to take the space of the babies so she looked pregnant for the funeral procession.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar, The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy, and The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force all included the TIE Defender. In addition, Wookiepedia has an entry that lists comics appearances.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

So her family knew she was pregnant and that it needed to be hushed up that the kids had been born - why? Was everyone on Naboo in on the conspiracy? Why didn't her family bother to try to find the kids? The whole sequence raises too many questions that call into question the plausibility.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Padme's death sequence and funeral are among the puzzling parts of the prequel...it's almost as if George was struggling to wrap up her story arc. I'm sure it was depicted that way to attempt to dissuade anyone to ask uncomfortable questions, I think in the novelization it is mentioned that it is a minor mystery and source of speculation among the population. I also didn't buy that Padme lost the will to live, I understood the meaning behind the line but didn't like it. The med driod could have easily just stated that she suffered fatal injuries due to being Forced choked by Anakin, there was no reason to say that she lost the will to live.

6. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And of course throw in the fact that Leia remembered her mother, and Obi-wan hid Luke in the most obvious place possible and the entire ending of Sith was a giant disaster.

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm assuming that Padme's family was not told that her kids were alive. It would've been too much of a risk letting too many people know that her children lived. Plus, I'm further assuming that if they had know they would've pressed to raise the children, which would've alerted Palpatine and Vader who would've stopped at nothing to gain possession of them.

One thing the EU hasn't done much of a good job of doing is actually following up on Padme's family IMO. It would be great to see more done with them, a story or some scenes with Luke and Leia, and Jaina or Ben visiting Naboo. I don't know if that's ever been done in a novel or in the comics. If it has, could someone tell me which.

I mean there are potentially a lot of cousins, etc. out there that can widen the Skywalker-Solo clan. Plus, it could be more characters for the writers to play around with.

8. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

Puzzling? It was just lazy writing.
    'Lost the will to live'? You would, at most, expect to encounter this in movies made for children - and, even there, it's not what one would call quality writing.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Given that fact that Naboo is never seen or mentioned in the post-ROTJ books, even after the Prequels finished, I'd always assumed it was destroyed by the Empire between the trilogies.

I'm still waiting for the book where Vader leads the massacre of Jar Jar and all the other Gungans then blows up the planet for good measure :lol:

EDIT: Wow, I totally forgot that at the end of ROTJ they show Jar Jar celebrating freedom on Naboo. :wtf:

10. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

The fate of Padme's family is largely revealed in the STAR WARS GALAXIES MMO, where you visit Naboo during the Imperial era. In particular Padme's cousin has become the Imperial senator from Naboo, after Jar-Jar (Who presumabely became full senator after Padme's death). Other games reveal the fate of other Naboo officials, mainly Boss Nass, Panaka and Queen Apailana, who either join the rebellion or the empire. Also Naboo, being the Emperor's homeworld in all, has a fancy Imperial retreat for Palpatine as well.

Luke and Leia are unaware of their mother's identity until the Swarm War (The Dark nest trilogy). Before that, we have Luke go on a wild goose chase in the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy to find her. He and Leia do learn about Shmi and Anakin's past in Tatooine Ghost though.

11. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're not the only one. Read the Republic Commando books by Karen Traviss.