TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well. Interesting. I guess we can classify that as a "Historical Curiosity." :rommie: Certainly an early example of the "let's kill everyone just cuz we can" sub-genre.

The locations and sets were wonderfully New England Gothic. Loved the abandoned houses and tunnels and the empty pool and so forth-- did the series ever explain why the Collins Family let their property deteriorate so badly? I seem to remember one TV plot that involved somebody living in an entire wing of the house that had been closed off and abandoned.

Unfortunately, even beyond the fact that it was disconnected from the TV series, this movie was pretty weak. The script was borderline incoherent (what exactly was the point of that opening sequence with David?) and Dan Curtis was not exactly at his directorial best. And there were a few inconsistencies along the way: Barnabas seemed more worried about the tiny cross on Maggie's neck than the big-ass one hanging over the bed. And I think there are at least three new vampires out there somewhere that were unaccounted for.

It's too bad they didn't write something that was consistent with the show, like the producers of Batman did around the same time. Oh, well....

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And you could just tell that Curtis loved being able to use all the copious blood he couldn't show on TV.

"No more Standards and Practices! Bring on the gore!"

(I'm almost surprised he didn't try to squeeze in some Hammer-style nudity while he was at it!)

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

on the series it was stated Collinwood was the only property that didn't have a mortgage. i think Liz also had to buy Roger's share of the fishing fleet too since Roger wasted his inheritance.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never had a chance to really see Dark Shadows and I watched some of that movie last night and I had no clue what was going on.

5. Greg Cox

I can see that. Aside from maybe Barnabas, the movie didn't really bother to explain who the characters were or what their relationships to each other were; I guess they just assumed that everybody had already watched the TV show . . . .

6. RJDiogenes

Yes, and I love that incredibly fake-looking, red-paint blood. :rommie:

Maybe he couldn't get anyone to cooperate. I wouldn't mind seeing Kathryn Leigh Scott nude, but I don't think she ever did anything but TV so she probably wasn't up for that sort of thing.

7. Mr. Adventure

Coming up this Saturday Mar 3 (EST):
    1130p 2001 (fri)
    0215a 2010
    0415a Forbidden Planet
    0600a Island of Lost Souls
    0730a One Million Years BC
    0915a Have Rocket Will Travel (3 Stooges)
    0530p Andromeda Strain

And on 3/5 at 4AM La Jetee followed by The Illustrated Man

8. Greg Cox

Thanks for the update. My DVR is already programmed to tape One Million Years B.C.

9. RJDiogenes

Thanks. I actually have most of those on DVD, but I may tape the Stooges. I don't remember it as being very good, but it's probably been close to thirty years since I've seen it. I'd like to see it again.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to La Jetée. I didn't know when I'd ever get to see it. For those who don't know, it's the short that 12 Monkeys is based on.

11. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

They've shown it once before IIRC, it's a. very interesting way to make a film.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The whole thing is available all over the place online, though I suppose not very legally. I just bought the Criterion Blu-Ray that combines La Jetée with another Marker film, San Soleil.

I wonder which version they'll show -- the English language or French language film? Marker supervised both, IIRC.

13. Klaus

I have a subtitled copy myself...

14. Mr. Adventure

As an aside, TCM is showing Sans Soleil before La Jetee. :)

15. RJDiogenes

I've had too many distractions lately to keep an eye on TCM and have suffered the consequences; I missed Die, Monster, Die, The Illustrated Man and Horror Express-- and probably others. So I'm going to try to keep up from now on-- until blindsided by other distractions.

So tomorrow morning at 5:15am, we have The Thing From Another World, Saturday morning at 3:45am we have Heavy Metal and then Attack of the 50-Foot Woman at 7:45. That's it through the weekend. I'll look further ahead later on.

16. Greg Cox

Horror Express was actually pretty fun, although I was horrified that they misspelled Christopher Lee's name in the opening credits. And he was the star of the film!

"Cristopher Lee," really?

17. RJDiogenes

Reminds me of Marv Wolfman's novelization of Crisis On Infinite Earths, where the spelling of one chapter title was wrong-- I think it was "Froty Three." :rommie: Of course, I think they forgot to send that book to the editor. Literally every page had typos.

I caught the last five minutes or so of Horror Express and it looked pretty good. I was really bummed that I missed it.

18. Greg Cox

Great moment in typos: "Bram Stroker's Dracula."

Yes, that appeared on a book cover once.

19. Klaus

One of my all-time favorite typos, though not genre, was the back of Al Stewart's Year of the Cat album listing "On the Bornder"... and the CD release just copied that for a whole new generation! :lol:

20. Greg Cox

Don't get me started about "Rouge Queen" by L. Sprague de Camp. Or that restaurant menu that listed "Sweat and Sour Pork."

Sometimes I think the world needs a good copyeditor . . . .