TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Maybe it was one of those "adult" versions. :rommie:

Going through the first weekend in April, we have on Saturday the 7th, The Gamma People on at 2:15am and Wild, Wild Planet at 3:45am, then The Invisible Man at 9:15am (nothing on Sunday).

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, half the people pronounce it that way, anyways

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I recorded Heavy Metal overnight and just watched it. It's the first time I've ever seen that film, though I've read one or two scathing deconstructions of it online, so I had an idea what to expect. Mostly it deserved the scathing; the majority of it is uneven and self-indulgent, and the frame story/unifying thread of the Loc-Nar is completely incoherent.
    "I am the ultimate evil in the universe and you are destined to kill me, so rather than kill you in five seconds like I do everyone else, I'll show you stories of my evil victories, plus a few times I was defeated, plus a couple of stories that hardly have anything to do with me, and then in the last story I'll be destroyed and that will somehow blow me up in the here and now too, so I guess you actually have nothing to do with my destruction. Oops!"
    However, the Moebius-inspired Taarna segment was very impressive, much better than the rest (at least until the ending). Good animation and designs, and great music by Elmer Bernstein.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It helps to see Heavy Metal in a theater at midnight with the volume cranked to 12 with the smell of marijuana (or Plutonium Nyborg) in the air. At least, that's how I first saw it.

I wish they hadn't botched up Heavy Metal 2000 so badly because I'd love to see a follow-up in the same vain. I know there was some effort to do so but I think it got bogged down in development hell.

Looking at The Fifth Element, I'm pretty sure Luc Besson must have been inspired by it.

5. RJDiogenes

I never cared for Heavy Metal the magazine, and the movie didn't impress me a whole lot either.

I've got to pay more attention to the movie names on the TCM schedule, rather than just the genre icons. Tarzan the Fearless from 1933 with Buster Crabbe was on yesterday, and I only caught the last fifteen minutes or so.

6. RJDiogenes

Not TCM, but if you have This channel (yes, This is the name), you get to see the 1972 Tales From The Crypt movie. I may have seen it as a kid, but I don't really remember. This is channel 297 on my Comcast, but it may be different where you are.

7. Mr. Adventure

There's some really good stuff coming up on TCM but I isolated this to Sci-Fi, Horror and Cult.
    Times are EST and "days" start and end at 6:00a.

FRI APR 13
    0545p Bedazzled 1967
    0200a The Iron Rose
    0330a The Devil Within Her

SAT APR 14
    0915a Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
    1200p Tarzan and the Green Goddess
    0130p Whatever Happened to Aunt Alice?

THU APR 19
    0630a Red Planet Mars
    0800a Phantom From 10000 Leagues
    0930a The Gamma People
    1100a Riders to the Stars
    1230p Cyclops
    0145p Queen of Outer Space
    0315p The Wasp Woman
    0430p The Illustrated man
    0630p Beast From Haunted Cave
    0500a Dr Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine

FRI APR 20
    0645a Dr Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs
    0200a Equinox
    0330a The Green Slime

SAT APR 21
    1200p Tarzan's Revenge
    0800p Close Encounters
    1030p Rollerball
    1245a Logan's Run
    0300a Westworld
    0430a Soylent Green

WED APR 25
    0445p Picture Mommy Dead
    0630p Riders to the Stars

FRI APR 27
    0230a Freaked
    0400a UHF

SAT APR 28
    1200p The Perils of Pauline

SUN APR 29
    1200p Bedazzled 1967

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

thanks for posting that list. some of those films are horrid, like Wasp Woman and Beast from Haunted Cave. not sure i've never seen The Illustrated Man.

9. RJDiogenes

That is some good stuff. Illustrated Man is one of the movies I missed a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking forward to Perils of Paulin and the Dr Goldfoot sequel. There's a couple on there I'm not sure I've heard of.

This TV has a scary Friday the 13th schedule today starting at 10am: Frogs, Tower of London, Twice Told Tales, Tales From The Crypt, Addams Family and Addams Family Values.

10. Christopher

I looked up a number of those movies on Wikipedia, and apparently The Illustrated Man got lousy reviews. I'm not sure I want to see Bradbury's work screwed up.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'll check out Bedazzled. I didn't know that the 2000 movie with Liz Hurley was a remake of this or anything for that matter.

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I liked Heavy Metal 2000, as I recall. Only saw it once, immediately after my first time seeing the first movie, but I recall it holding up well.

One of these days I need to finish Heavy Metal: Fakk 2.

13. Mr. Adventure

It's a fun movie and a fun cast with Dudley Moore, Peter Cook and Raquel Welch. I love the mundane shit the devil chooses to screw with people.

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a great movie imho, Cook is a perfect devil.

15. Agent Richard07

Just saw it. Moore and Cook were great and I loved the humor.

16. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a shame so few people on this side of the pond have heard of Cook.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You mean the guy in Supergirl?

(I kid, I kid!)

18. RJDiogenes

I taped Tower of London and Tales From The Crypt. Hopefully I will get a chance to watch today, though I also want to see Abbott and Costello and Tarzan.

I can't resist. Anyway, I don't trust reviews; especially mainstream reviews. I seldom agree with them.

19. Christopher

I went ahead and recorded The Illustrated Man anyway, and I kinda wish I hadn't. What a sluggishly directed movie. Everything took much longer than it needed to. And though my memory of the original Bradbury stories is vague ("The Veldt" is the only one I have a strong memory of), I don't think it did them justice. "The Last Night of the World" in particular was badly handled.

Plus I could've done without seeing so much of Rod Steiger's exposed skin. Why couldn't Bradbury have written The Illustrated Sexy Woman instead? ;) (Lydia, oh Lydia...)

Then again, this movie's version of "The Veldt" may deserve credit as the forerunner of the holodeck concept. As I recall, in the original story, the simulations in the "nursery" were just photorealistic animated wallpaper, like a wraparound TV screen. In the movie, they were fully 3-dimensional "electronic projections" that created an immersive environment -- and the bare walls of the deactivated nursery had a vaguely holodeck-like grid structure.

20. Agent Richard07

^ I recorded it almost two months ago. I'll get around to it eventually.