Tarantino Trek - what could we expect?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Danlav05, Aug 11, 2018.

1. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Pine, Shatner, and Stewart?...

I don't think this will ever happen, but if it does, I like that QT is swinging for the fences. But man, it sounds like this is just going to give headaches to the canonistas of BOTH Prime and Kelvin.

https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1139734745623875584

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that came up on this thread a few months ago. Paired with Tarantino's comments that it IS "Pulp Fiction in space" makes me think it'll be less Avengers Trek (which Brent Spiner said Paramount wanted to do right after Nemesis, until it bombed) and more PineKirk, ShatnerKirk and Picard all having their own intertwining stories. Which could be kind of awesome.

Ovation likes this.
  3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

I wonder maybe...now OUATIH is out of the way, and the merger has gone ahead, and its still a long way from serious Episode 9 hype... that in the next few days/weeks we'll have an announcement from Paramount regarding the potential Pine/Shatner/Stewart Tarantino Trek (aka GENERATIONS 2 aka STAR TREK AVENGERS)

4. F. King Daniel

Or more likely, the end of the Paramount/Bad Robot contract and the newly announced CBS/Paramount merger killed it dead.

I suspect the whole thing was just smoke to keep stock prices high going into what's transpired and the future of Trek movies lies in some kind of Long Treks on CBS-AA, probably starring Anson Mount and Ethan Peck.

I'd like to be wrong, and see something Tarantino-ish announced shortly.

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

It was already pointed out that Paramount and Bad Robot may still collaborate on the Trek and I:M franchises, while all other projects will be at WB. Hence why Abrams is still backing QT.

Lance and fireproof78 like this.
  6. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe we could get Shatner interacting with a de-aged Shatner...

7. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know what we could expect from a QT Star Trek...

Actual TOS music. Wouldn't that be great? There's music from quite a few TOS episodes that could be in any QT movie.

8. Khan 2.0

9. Danlav05

Danlav05 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. F. King Daniel

Sounds kinda meh to me. The biggest issue I've had with Kelvin Trek is that they never quite let go of the past and this is abandoning any pretence of going forward and diving back into nostalgia with reckless abandon.

I imagined Shatner Kirk, the Kelvin crew and Picard all having their own Pulp Fiction-style (In storytelling structure, not content) stories that crossed over.

saddestmoon and Malaika like this.
  11. Khan 2.0

12. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't Voyager do that already?

Lance, ALF and Danlav05 like this.
  13. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This sounds so boring and so useless to me.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    This sounds rather like a "greatest hits" album of nostalgia. Which, fits perfectly with QT's vision of Star Trek so it makes sense.

However, one of my biggest complaints regarding the IDW Kelvin comics was the constant need to rehash TOS plot lines (especially "Where No Man Has Gone Before"-ugh) instead of doing something new. Whelp, looks like more of the same.

Malaika likes this.
  15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My main question would be what exactly is this time travel even about? Because they're not going back to stop something, which is the obvious typical time travel concept. If it includes incidents from TOS it has to travel backward *and* forward in time because the Kelvin movies are much earlier than TOS. Do they just get unstuck from time and have to fix it (underwhelming)? What are the stakes of such an idea?

16. F. King Daniel

I'm seeing this news creatively reinterpreted all over Facebook trash articles this morning. One says it's confirmation of the Kelvin Timeline. Another says Pine and Quinto will be playing TOS Kirk and Spock and it'll have Khan in it. All based on the exact same source comments.

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If anybody else pitched that and they'd be out the building. It wouldn't surprise me if Robert Orci wanted this for Beyond.

At this point, there feels like a certain inevitability to a storyline in which the Kelvin timeline merges in some way with the original continuity. Whether we're talking being inspired by Endgame, or Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Lance likes this.
  18. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

19. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we're still at the stage Generations was, when it was suggested the movie poster could have the two Enterprises fighting each other... because it's a cool hook. But we know exactly how much of that happened in the finished film...

Lance likes this.
  20. Khan 2.0

theorized something similar not too long ago in the 'then and now' thread(thought this sounded familiar):
    Trek movies have always followed movie going trends abit like Bond so following 'the biggest movie of all time' would be.. logical (esp since A:EG was influenced by Trek stuff like TVH, AGT and DS9: T&T)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019