Tarantino Trek - what could we expect?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Danlav05, Aug 11, 2018.

1. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Abrams did crib heavily on the cinematic language of Bay in regards to camerawork. Makes sense as Abrams had wrote for one of Bay’s films in the past. He was also coming right off of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III, which may have been the Baysiest of his films, especially with the over-saturated color timing. All that was missing in ST09 was a Zimmer rip off score.

2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I actually want to see a Tarantino Trek movie

Tenacity likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're not alone on that point.

4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I'm curious. If it doesn't get made I'd really want to know what the story was,

5. ireactions

ireactions Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think STAR TREK 2009 is what a Michael Bay TREK would be if Bay were a competent action-adventure storyteller.

Lance likes this.
  6. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

so then... not michael bay.

Lance and saddestmoon like this.
  7. ireactions

ireactions Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, but I mean that the 2009 relaunch was TREK with more explosions than before. It’s the Bay aesthetic but competent and with Bay’s TRANSFORMERS writers but without Bay inserting racist caricatures and hapless comedy.

8. MakeshiftPython

Eh, I’d argue there was plenty of hapless comedy in ST09.

Lance likes this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

The only thing we didn't see in Trek 09 was the Enterprise taking off from the launch pad on Earth.

That would have been glorious

saddestmoon likes this.
  10. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

...Which is assuming that he isn't trolling those who are assuming that he would make a PF set in space show. Tarantino's films are genre specific, which is why his PF/Foxy Brown films are not like his Western films (Django Unchained/Hateful Eight), or like his WW2 film (Inglorious Basterds). Maybe his Kill Bill films count as a separate genre, as well? Plus, as he has stated numerous times, there is already a script that was produced, one that he didn't write, but one that he apparently likes. Besides, Tarantino has worked on projects that weren't solely his own before (which is why he is wondering if directing a 'Trek film would really count as his own or not).

But for fun, if QT did direct the next 'Trek film, which stars from his previous films could play what characters? Not that it would happen, but could Leonardo DiCaprio play James Kirk, in a film set in the TOS era? Hmmmmm...

11. fireproof78

And even if he is trolling that doesn't inspire me to watch his movie. There is little, if anything, that has inspired me regarding QT and Trek, specifically, Kelvin Trek.
    Could always get Kurt Russell in some way. I would be cool with that.

Malaika likes this.
  12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk's medical symptoms from McCoy's injection, for instance.

Kor

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which I thought was brilliant. Fans like to act as if Trek has always been this serious, grim thing. I wonder if they've seen half of it.

pst, saddestmoon, fireproof78 and 2 others like this.
  14. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Hi Christopher, I'm Nero" :lol:

There are a lot of funny moments there that break the tension, it's well balanced.

15. Gingerbread Demon

ST09 is full of comedy.

16. MakeshiftPython

I can’t speak for those miserable bastards, but I can for myself, and the batting average for Trek on comedy wasn’t good even before Kelvin films. But if you get something out of stuff like Kirk’s Nutty Professor hands and Scotty’s water tube adventures, more power to you. I think there’s room for comedy in Trek, I just don’t think of ST09 as a particular high point. They feel less natural and more formulaic. Abrams has always struck me as a filmmakers that was afraid of boring his audience so he’d try to throw in something arbitrarily whether it’s an action beat or a bit of comedy. I think the most awkward was after that contrived scene of Spock choking Kirk on the bridge, followed by Scotty’s “I LIKE THIS SHIP!” it feels more haphazard than funny. Overall, I really did not like Scotty in ST09. It felt like they converted him into Jar Jar or Neelix. I felt STID and BEYOND did a better job of balancing out the humor with the dramatic stuff as far as Scotty was concerned, because Pegg can be a good dramatic actor when you give him the chance, but he can still provide that needed comedy relief.

Spot261 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

Love that scene. The whole set up is what makes it worthwhile, because Bones basically drags Kirk in to the adventure. Scotty has his moments, especially the whole "Can I get a towel?" line that cracks me up.

The pacing can be a little off, but generally speaking I feel like these are real people struggling with difficult situations. And, if I were in those situations you can bet I'll be replying like Kirk or Scotty. Sarcasm is my coping skills.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Just saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Give this movie to Tarrantino. Let him do whatever he pleases.

Rahul, Spot261, Tim Thomason and 4 others like this.
  19. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

This seems to be absolutely the way forward. Tarantino does his best work when allowed to just play around with styles and genres. If he can't do that there seems to be little point in it being tarantino at the helm

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Having just seen Once Upon..., I wholeheartedly concur. I was already a big fan of his and wanting a Tarantino Trek for A LOT longer than there’s been buzz about it but if I had any lurking doubts, they’re gone now.

I make this statement as someone who’s seen all the Trek there is to see—not counting fan films—and for whom Into Darkness and 09 are, far and away, my favourite Trek after TOS. (Just in case someone tries to suggest I must hate Kelvin Trek because I really want a Tarantino Trek)

Rahul likes this.