Surviving the Amazing Race

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Timewalker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    It's that time of year again, when the new seasons start. Since we usually end up discussing both shows in the same thread, why not just make it official? ;)

The Amazing Race started on Friday, February 12. There are 11 teams, and at least one member of each team is some sort of social media/YouTube celebrity (no, Frankie Grande isn't one of them). This installment features a first leg unlike any we've seen before (to my knowledge; I haven't seen every season).

Survivor starts Wednesday, February 17, and is another edition of "Brains vs. Beauty vs. Brawn."

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I totally called that the first leg would be an elimination leg. The only other time they did that was the season where they ended the first leg with the Japanese game show with the spinning wheel and wasabi bombs. They made it non elimination because it was completely random, and I figured they'd probably do the same since all racers were starting from a different location.

Don't know how I feel about making all teams internet personalities. But, I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Last season was so boring, it will probably at least guarantee some more likable teams. This is far better than the blind date nonsense and they seem to have also gotten rid of the selfie and fitbit nonsense. The internet personalities thing is much less offensive nonsense.

I'm also optimistic about this season's Survivor. There's been a couple good seasons in a row. I don't care about the Brains/Beauty/Brawn gimmick but don't expect that to last more than four weeks like usual. I'm more interested that I've heard this season has the worst weather in Survivor history and there's a lot of evacuations.

3. Timewalker

I think you mean non-elimination leg, don't you? Nobody was eliminated, though I would have been completely happy with the idiots who came in last place being eliminated. Wandering around above ground because he lost his little mask pieces, looking for drummers where they clearly weren't...

Cripes, not one of them used those sifters correctly. It's a basic tool of archaeology, yet all they did was use them to hold stuff. And that dumb line from one of the women, asking if the dad was looking for "little drums" on the ground, and then grabs a shovel to look for them in the sand... yikes.

The mariachi musicians were fun, though. It's nice to hear music I actually recognize.

I don't have any way to compare this season to last season, as I didn't watch last season. Since I didn't even realize it was on until it was half over, there didn't seem to be any point in watching. So when it suddenly occurred to me last night that it was February and maybe the shows were going to be starting this month, I looked it up and discovered I'd just missed the first episode. Luckily there's a Canadian network with a website where I can watch stuff within 7 days of its broadcast, so I'll likely watch that way. As for Survivor, I'll try to catch it Wednesday (and if not, it'll likely be available on whichever Canadian website simulcasts it - Global, I think, vs. CTV for The Amazing Race).

4. JirinPanthosa

Yes, meant non elimination leg. This is only the second time the first leg was non elimination. They had no choice since the different starting points gave some teams advantages. Also noticed no first place prize or express pass distribution.

5. Timewalker

Maybe they're not doing the express pass this time. It does tend to unbalance things in favor of the couple that gets it.

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

The first episode is on my DVR but I have yet to watch it. That says something, as typically I would be on top of this show as soon as it aired. Amazing Race just hasn't been that amazing lately, and hearing that it was going to be internet personalities on this season did not help much. I'll get around to it soon.

I am definitely looking forward to Survivor. I have always tended to like it best, but this next season looks to be pretty interesting.

7. JirinPanthosa

If they were going to eliminate one gimmick, I'd pick the U turn, not the express pass.

The U Turn turns Amazing Race into Survivor.

8. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Completely forgot to watch Survivor, so hopefully CBS hasn't put it behind their All-Access paywall. One of my close high school friends knows one of the contestants (Liz on the Brains tribe) and that's pretty cool.

9. JirinPanthosa

In the past you only had to pay for past seasons, not current seasons.

Cast seems reasonably good this year. Nobody too annoying and a couple strategizers.

10. Timewalker

It's not behind any paywall I know of, since I watched it on TV tonight.

All I'm going to say is that there is the usual assortment of jerks, idiots, window-dressing, a few people who need to be gone NOW (one of whom got voted off, thank goodness), and one or two nice people who I hope stay awhile.

11. Spot's Meow

I thought it was a good start. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.
    The bug in the ear was really disgusting and I actually had nightmares about it last night. So disturbing.

12. Timewalker

I couldn't watch those scenes. Surprising that medical wasn't called, because of how dangerous this can be.

If medical was called and they opted not to show that because of the "drama"... that's not good.

13. JirinPanthosa

You were rooting for Darnell to get voted out? I would have picked him to stay over Alicia. She was more useless, Darnell just screwed up at a challenge.

Medical tends to only be called on the players' request or if somebody is obviously incapacitated. I can't imagine, if they hadn't gotten the bug out by themselves, that they would have gone much longer without calling medical.

The only other person I dislike right now is that older woman on the brain tribe. I hope Tai has an opportunity to get back in good graces after obviously looking for the idol, since he seems like a unique person, and the only person there who has actually suffered in a real survival situation. The only person who has been in a serious life threatening situation without CBS there ready with a team of medics. I suppose Caleb served in the armed forces so he may have also been in one.

14. Timewalker

Alicia's not the one who pulled her pants down in front of everyone and used the ocean out front for a bathroom instead of going where they were supposed to (each camp has its own latrine area, doesn't it?). If he's willing to foul the water there, what's next? And he did screw up in the challenge by losing the face mask. I don't blame people for being upset about that.

Alicia said she wasn't good at puzzles, but they had her doing it anyway. And if too much strategizing was a reason to get kicked out, there wouldn't be many contestants left. I don't like her, but in this case she wasn't the worst person.

The older woman on the "brain" tribe can shut up any second. Really. She's a nonstop motormouth, with a bragging, condescending attitude toward everyone else.

I like Tai. He's got an interesting attitude and personal story. And good for him, being proactive the first day or two. It's no crime to look for an idol, and the rest are a bunch of damn hypocrites; he only did what they'd do if they had the chance (and had the brains to think of it).

15. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Darnell might have screwed up, but I would have voted out Alicia over him in a second. She won't help the tribe going forward and apparently does little around the camp. She didn't even have enough sense to take the cap off the marker when voting at tribal:lol:

I'm wondering why they put one person on each tribe that obviously doesn't fit the tribal stereotype. Alicia obviously belongs on beauty, not brawn. Tai seems like he should have been on brains, not beauty. And the ice cream guy (or whatever) probably belongs on brawn, not brains. All but Alicia seemed to at least have an inkling they were misplaced.

A good start to Survivor. I'm not too impressed with The Amazing Race though.

16. JirinPanthosa

I haven't seen evidence that Tai is more than average intelligence. His bio says he's a gardener and the only hobby that would indicate being smarter than average is a book club. Maybe he was put on that tribe for inner beauty.

Based on Alicia's bio she is outdoorsy and an 'adrenaline junkie', probably why they put her on brawn.

Neal's bio seems equally an argument for brains or brain but also gives hints he's a super-rational type.

I didn't say I blamed them for voting out Darnell, just I think he is more substantial a player than Alicia so I would have preferred him to stay. Also I think he would have been better in future challenges.

17. Spot's Meow

Tai was pretty funny. We got a kick out of him being distraught over Caleb's butchering of a tree, then turning around and literally ripping trees out of the ground in search of the idol. "Sorry tree, I'm just looking for something I want." :lol:

18. Timewalker

Well, he did put them back...

I just watched last night's episode of Amazing Race. There was an elimination this time and yeah, that team completely deserved it, for a very stupid mistake.

The father/daughter team is... downright weird. She brought along a hair dryer and curling iron, but no bathing suit. So she asks her father if he has something she can borrow "that isn't a thong". :wtf:

19. JirinPanthosa

Did anyone else think of Spaceballs when Phil brought up the hairdryer?

20. Timewalker

I don't think I saw all of that.