Superman

A very long-awaited Holy Grail for Superman comics fans is finally on the way:

91dgcTpBl8L._SL1500_.jpg

The 1990s saw a new wave of creative vitality and fan interest in comics’ original superhero, with four tightly connected monthly series bringing the Man of Steel to new heights: Superman, Adventures of Superman, Action Comics, and Superman: The Man of Steel.

These four series, while continuing to retain their own distinct voices, worked closely in tandem with each other, telling a detailed larger narrative of Superman’s never-ending battle. In turn, DC added numbered triangle icons to each cover, indicating to readers exactly where in the story a given Superman issue would fall—ushering in what readers fondly remember as “the triangle era.”

Following years of demand, these revered stories return with Superman: The Triangle Era Omnibus Vol. 1, a comprehensive collection of the first year of these comics from creators including Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, Roger Stern, Jon Bogdanove, Bob McLeod, and more.
https://prhcomics.com/book/?isbn=9781779528162

1384 pages of peak Superman awesomeness, coming September 3. Yours for the low, low price of $125 (or probably half that if you know where to shop).

It's a great time to be alive. :)

SON OF A BITCH!!!

Sorry. Sorry, everyone, I know this is objectively good news for all Superman fans, myself included. It's just that DC has a coincedental tendency to pick things that I picked to collect in back issues for lack of collected options, wait until I have a good amount of them, and then announce a reprint project. So it was for Milestone, so it was with Lobo, and now the triangle issues. Now I'm hesitating even moving onto L.E.G.I.O.N.

A very long-awaited Holy Grail for Superman comics fans is finally on the way:

91dgcTpBl8L._SL1500_.jpg

https://prhcomics.com/book/?isbn=9781779528162

1384 pages of peak Superman awesomeness, coming September 3. Yours for the low, low price of $125 (or probably half that if you know where to shop).

It's a great time to be alive. :)
This is terrific news. I’m glad to see DC giving this era of comics the omnibus format more and more.

Messener-Loebs early run on Flash with Wally will be released next month and volume 2 of Mark Waid’s run on Wally Flash has also been confirmed.

Now if only DC would release an omnibus of Ostrander’s Spectre run from the early 90s. Then we would be on fire.

I love seeing reaction videos on Youtube of people seeing the 1978 Superman for the first time and how this classic manages to enchant the new generations even after more than 40 years. But there is one scene that has aged very, very, very badly. Every time it comes to it, the young first time viewers have expressions that range from confusion to shock.

"Haven't told you to stop telling lies?" *SLAP*

What most perplexes viewers is how the scene is treated in a completely humorous way. A parent hits her daughter. Laughs.

Times (fortunately) have changed.

What most perplexes viewers is how the scene is treated in a completely humorous way. A parent hits her daughter. Laughs.
Its called discipline, and sadly too many parents have abandoned that. I'm not saying anyone should ever abuse their children, but not all forms of physical punishment count as such. Too many elders these days are focused on "being a friend", when they need to recognize authority and structure are needed. Any kid not given limits will end up thinking their actions have no consequences.

I always felt sorry for the little girl, because she was telling the truth. It was never funny. The irony is that the child will be vindicated by the Daily Planet and the news the next day — assuming the mother even looks at it.

That said, it was hardly implausible. There are many parents who would have reacted the exact same way at the time.

Its called discipline, and sadly too many parents have abandoned that. I'm not saying anyone should ever abuse their children, but not all forms of physical punishment count as such. Too many elders these days are focused on "being a friend", when they need to recognize authority and structure are needed. Any kid not given limits will end up thinking their actions have no consequences.
Do you know what the problem is in this fictional scene, exactly like real life? That the little girl was punished even though she did not break any set of arbitrary rules imposed. So what is the lesson that she learned from it (here too, exactly like in real life)? That when the strong use violence on the weak, they are always right, even when they are wrong?

Last edited:
I always felt sorry for the little girl, because she was telling the truth. It was never funny. The irony is that the child will be vindicated by the Daily Planet and the news the next day — assuming the mother even looks at it.
Uh, I'm not sure the Planet would make a kitten rescue a top story. And honestly, parents who use violence as an educational method rarely admit that they made a mistake so as not to appear weak. "Love, the slap I gave you on Tuesday was unfair, but the ones on Wednesday and Thursday were perfectly justified. And jury is still out on the one on Friday."

Uh, I'm not sure the Planet would make a kitten rescue a top story. And honestly, parents who use violence as an educational method rarely admit that they made a mistake so as not to appear weak. "Love, the slap I gave you on Tuesday was unfair, but the ones on Wednesday and Thursday were perfectly justified. And jury is still out on the one on Friday."
Golden age Superman (circa 1938) might have taught the parents a lesson or two, ;)

Uh, I'm not sure the Planet would make a kitten rescue a top story.
I didn't say that. They ran the story of Superman, the man who can fly, the amazing man just like the one who the girl said rescued her kitten. "See, it's true, mom! I wasn't lying about the man."

And honestly, parents who use violence as an educational method rarely admit that they made a mistake so as not to appear weak.
Well, I don't know about "rarely," but "often don't" would be unquestionably true.

Do you know what the problem is in this fictional scene, exactly like real life? That the little girl was punished even though she did not break any set of arbitrary rules imposed. So what is the lesson that she learned from it (here too, exactly like in real life)? That when the strong use violence on the weak, they are always right, even when they are wrong?

That was a mic drop moment. :techman:

It's funny because it's ridiculous. The scene was never intended to be a moment where you watched it and said to yourself, "I'm glad that mother slapped her child. Parenting done right, I say."

Last edited:
I always felt sorry for the little girl, because she was telling the truth. It was never funny..

No, but the people behind Superman the Movie felt a parent slapping a child was a good, wholesome bit of comedy, just as they believed the offensive black pimp stereotype was equally something to give audiences that warm chuckle.

Wrong in both cases.

Never become a parent. Not that it's much of a possibility.

Back