Superman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by urbandefault, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Commander Troi and Guy Gardener like this.
  2. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

A very long-awaited Holy Grail for Superman comics fans is finally on the way:

[​IMG]
    https://prhcomics.com/book/?isbn=9781779528162

1384 pages of peak Superman awesomeness, coming September 3. Yours for the low, low price of $125 (or probably half that if you know where to shop).

It's a great time to be alive. :)

Smiley, tenmei and M.A.C.O. like this.
  3. Kai "the spy"

SON OF A BITCH!!!

Sorry. Sorry, everyone, I know this is objectively good news for all Superman fans, myself included. It's just that DC has a coincedental tendency to pick things that I picked to collect in back issues for lack of collected options, wait until I have a good amount of them, and then announce a reprint project. So it was for Milestone, so it was with Lobo, and now the triangle issues. Now I'm hesitating even moving onto L.E.G.I.O.N.

4. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

This is terrific news. I’m glad to see DC giving this era of comics the omnibus format more and more.

Messener-Loebs early run on Flash with Wally will be released next month and volume 2 of Mark Waid’s run on Wally Flash has also been confirmed.

Now if only DC would release an omnibus of Ostrander’s Spectre run from the early 90s. Then we would be on fire.

5. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love seeing reaction videos on Youtube of people seeing the 1978 Superman for the first time and how this classic manages to enchant the new generations even after more than 40 years. But there is one scene that has aged very, very, very badly. Every time it comes to it, the young first time viewers have expressions that range from confusion to shock.

"Haven't told you to stop telling lies?" *SLAP*

What most perplexes viewers is how the scene is treated in a completely humorous way. A parent hits her daughter. Laughs.

Times (fortunately) have changed.

GeorgeKirk likes this.
  6. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Captain Red Shirt

Its called discipline, and sadly too many parents have abandoned that. I'm not saying anyone should ever abuse their children, but not all forms of physical punishment count as such. Too many elders these days are focused on "being a friend", when they need to recognize authority and structure are needed. Any kid not given limits will end up thinking their actions have no consequences.

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you not supposed to laugh at that scene?

8. Kai "the spy"

No, guys, hitting a child is not discipline, it's not okay, and it's good that the new generation does not consider it funny anymore.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always felt sorry for the little girl, because she was telling the truth. It was never funny. The irony is that the child will be vindicated by the Daily Planet and the news the next day — assuming the mother even looks at it.

That said, it was hardly implausible. There are many parents who would have reacted the exact same way at the time.

Commander Troi, Skipper and BillJ like this.
  10. Skipper

Do you know what the problem is in this fictional scene, exactly like real life? That the little girl was punished even though she did not break any set of arbitrary rules imposed. So what is the lesson that she learned from it (here too, exactly like in real life)? That when the strong use violence on the weak, they are always right, even when they are wrong?

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  11. Skipper

Oh, you find violence against children funny?

Interesting.

Richard S. Ta and Jack Wolfe like this.
  12. Skipper

Uh, I'm not sure the Planet would make a kitten rescue a top story. And honestly, parents who use violence as an educational method rarely admit that they made a mistake so as not to appear weak. "Love, the slap I gave you on Tuesday was unfair, but the ones on Wednesday and Thursday were perfectly justified. And jury is still out on the one on Friday."

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Golden age Superman (circa 1938) might have taught the parents a lesson or two, ;)

Ovation and Skipper like this.
  14. CorporalCaptain

I didn't say that. They ran the story of Superman, the man who can fly, the amazing man just like the one who the girl said rescued her kitten. "See, it's true, mom! I wasn't lying about the man."

Well, I don't know about "rarely," but "often don't" would be unquestionably true.

Skipper likes this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That was a mic drop moment. :techman:

Skipper likes this.
  16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's funny because it's ridiculous. The scene was never intended to be a moment where you watched it and said to yourself, "I'm glad that mother slapped her child. Parenting done right, I say."

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    Jack Wolfe likes this.
  17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, but the people behind Superman the Movie felt a parent slapping a child was a good, wholesome bit of comedy, just as they believed the offensive black pimp stereotype was equally something to give audiences that warm chuckle.

Wrong in both cases.

18. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Never become a parent. Not that it's much of a possibility.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

For all we know, it was just a slap on the wrist.

20. CorporalCaptain

Sure it was.

Skipper and TREK_GOD_1 like this.