Superman

I would love to be in a reaction video with Carpenter during THE THING…pausing here and there. You can always watch the non-annotated version to avoid the patter.

I love watching Reaction Videos on Youtube, especially those of the younger generation when they see Superman - The Movie. I love that they are enchanted by this film, even though it was made decades before they were born.

But there is one scene that invariably always shocks them, especially since it is played for laughs: when the mother slaps the little girl because she told her that "a flying man saved his kitten from a tree".

After that scene, commentators usually just mutter "well it was a different time..."

All the reaction videos I've seen for Superman '78 are for the theatrical cut. I'd love to see ones for the Director's or even TV cuts.

This is not quite a perfect video -- I think he underappreciates the success of Adams's Lois in Snyder's films, plus the extended ad toward the beginning is intrusive and annoying -- but by God he gets most of it right, including the idea (as my sig has expressed for ages) that "Superman is inherently a love story," and that Clark + Lois is far and away the most important aspect of any Superman narrative.

It's too bad that the Donner movies ended up showing us much more likable love interests like Lana in 3 and Lacy in 4.

Elizabeth Tulloch's Lois is probably the best adaptation of her yet, because there's none of that silly "Clark/Lois/Superman" fake triangle stuff going on.

Elizabeth Tulloch's Lois is probably the best adaptation of her yet, because there's none of that silly "Clark/Lois/Superman" fake triangle stuff going on.
Tulloch is indeed great, as was Adams. Dispensing with the "triangle for two" is not the sole reason in either case -- I think both actresses' performances benefit greatly from their more naturalistic, less mannered approaches to the character -- but it's always better when Lois knows.

For those who are fans of the Donner Cut I was reading yesterday that for the past few years there was a digital version of the film available on vudu, amazon, google, youtube that had a run time of 122 minutes. The actual cut is 116 minutes. It seems now that this issue has been corrected now with the update to 4K and only the 116 minute version is available. Was anyone lucky enough to get the 122 minute version?

I will never forgive Amy for being Ginger, and not Lana.
Lana hasn't been one (in live action) for thirty years, so I guess they decided it was time to swap. ;)

Was anyone lucky enough to get the 122 minute version?
No idea if it's a full six minutes longer, but I did see the version that contained the little kid who explodes. Apparently that scene was in the Donner Cut until almost the last minute, so it was fully mixed and prepped and made it's way into the digital release on some platforms.

Last edited:
No idea if it's a full six minutes longer, but I did see the version that contained the little kid who explodes. Apparently that scene was in the Donner Cut until almost the last minute, so it was fully mixed and prepped and made it's way into the digital release on some platforms.
Yep, that's it. That's one of the scenes in the extended version.

It's too bad that the Donner movies ended up showing us much more likable love interests like Lana in 3 and Lacy in 4.

"Lois & Clark" had dispensed with that "love triangle" by the end of its second season. Cavill and Adams' Superman/Clark and Lois never had the triangle, because she had learned his true identity halfway into "Man of Steel".

Smallville had Lois learn about Clark's secret early into their relationship as well, although it was well into the series itself.

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman dispensed with the triangle for two midway through the series, and the current My Adventures with Superman animated show waited only a few episodes. And of course, it hasn't been part of the comics themselves for decades (except for the ill-conceived and mercifully abandoned "New 52" version). It's pretty much an historical artifact at this point.

Though I have the feeling Gunn may revive it in Superman: Legacy, given that the movie is apparently set relatively early in Superman's career, and that I think there's a perceived desire to return to a more "traditional" take post-Snyderverse. And for much of the general public, whose vague impression of the characters is still mostly informed by the Donnerverse, it's likely what they expect as the default.

I think there is a lot of good story potential to be mined in showing the Clark\Superman dynamic, and how Lois learns and responds to his secret.

I think there is a lot of good story potential to be mined in showing the Clark\Superman dynamic, and how Lois learns and responds to his secret.
I just like Lois as partner, confidante, lover, ally, and hero in her own right -- not as plot device. For me, that's best accomplished when she's in on the secret and can be with Clark as an equal with full knowledge and agency. It's not the only way Lois can work, but I think it's how she works best.

The triangle just made Clark this douchebag who enjoyed playing some sick mind game with Lois all this time.

Reactions: JD
The triangle just made Clark this douchebag who enjoyed playing some sick mind game with Lois all this time.

I think there's a way to do the love triangle without Clark coming across as an asshole, but the arc needs to be written very carefully to make it clear Clark doesn't want to keep the secret but feels compelled to for reasons of safety. And the arc needs to end, Lois needs to find out, and Clark needs to willingly accept responsibility for lying to Lois. And the secret needs to be written as never causing Lois severe pain.

Back