Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superhero movies will never "go away." People love the extraordinary. Superhero film serials started in the 40s, and even the silent era had it's own brand of "super hero."

There have been lulls, and I have no doubt another is due, but it will only be for a few years at most and they'll be "in" again.

2. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Wishful thinking. What would probably happen is more board game adaptations, video game adaptations and 50 different versions of Snow White, Peter Pan, and The Wizard of Oz.

Wait, that's already happening. - I don't even wanna know what they'd come up with if they actually had to replace superhero movies...

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't think the Studios believe there is any way of making money off of Serious films or "deep" films For Summer. I think the belief is Summer Films have to be "popcorn".

So, yea, if it wasn't for the Summer Superhero movies taking up screens, there would likely be even less depth to the Summer Blockbuster offerings.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Westerns haven't "gone away," but the era in which studios will invest big bucks in the superhero genre in the expectation of reaping big profits, summer after summer, is nearly over. What's next? Who knows?

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, the famous iHop scene from Superman #156.

:p

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

8. Broccoli

I live about an hour away from that area. I should take a drive down there for kicks on day soon.

9. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

So after reading that article it would appear that comicbookmovies.com is involved in the original report which means I'm skeptical. Since it's the weekend still though if this is legit and filming has began we won't know about it until the rest of the entertainment blogs pick it up.

11. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know if Westerns are the best comparison. Westerns are of a specific time period that becomes less and less relevant as time goes on. Superhero films can be transplanted to any time. Superman began in the 1930s and he'll continue until well past the 2030s.

12. Admiral_Young

I think Dennis was just picking a random genre that has still managed to stick around in modern times. I really don't think we need to worry about comic book movies going away any time soon no matter what kind of hits these adaptions take at the box office or from critics. There are many comic books out there with tons of story potential. All it takes is a producer and director willing to be serious about the film and a good script and cast. We shall wait and see if "Man of Steel" is one of the great ones or is another critical disaster for DC Ent.

13. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it's another critical disaster, you can look forward to Batman movies and only Batman movies until the end of time.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

True. However, the next Batman reboot if it comes real soon after Nolan(like this ASM is post-Raimi) will have to be uniquely different, yet familiar and good for me to get excited about it.

Even the good characters if overly done could produce burnout imo.

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Shame really.

Green Lantern was suppose to help push for more DC comic movies. Now Man of Steel has double the weight on it's shoulders.

It was already under pressure to do better than Superman Returns.

16. Broccoli

But Superman Returns wasn't a critically disaster. It got fairly positive reviews and it made a good chunk of money (more than Batman Begins, if I remember correctly). What did it in was its insane budget (which, according to some reports, included all the previous attempts to create a Superman movie since the 90s).

If the budget is modest this time around, I'm sure Man of Steel will be financially successful.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be a little ironic if Man of Steel makes tons of money and suffers critically. I live a few hours away from filming. Perhaps I should visit.

18. Admiral_Young

People love to rip "Superman Returns". They'll rip "Man of Steel" as well no matter if it's a box office hit or not.

19. Broccoli

That's not irony. That's standard practice for your typical Hollywood blockbuster.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral