Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah the film absorbed the costs of the previous attempts made. I think fans tend to forget this fact when they look at "Superman Returns" budget and overall box office intake. They absorbed like a 100 million or something right off the bat (I can't remember the exact number but it was a huge amount)

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    It was about $70 million. Online punters and the entertainment press held those costs against the film. It wasn't clear that WB did, though. SR actually came pretty close to getting a sequel. If it had made another $50 million or so it almost certainly would have done.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ouch. You're not kidding.

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Wow...I've never seen that before. Awwwwwkwarrrrrrd....

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I can't tell if he's completely and utterly distraught over his movie getting clobbered by Johnny Depp, or if he's just drunk. And I like Singer.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Feh. I've seen plenty of people ... articulate people get in that state of apoplexy before. Hell, I get that way at the checkout counter when there's a pretty girl flirting with me and my wife's just around the corner.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

From everything I've seen of him in interviews and behind the scenes footage, Singer's very highly strung and socially awkward as a matter of course. The documentary special features on the making of Superman Returns show that to an unusually clear extent.

9. Admiral_Young

"Socially awkward"? I wouldn't say that I've seen him display anything that would indicate that in any of the press conferences or interviews I've seen him in. He is as you say high strung, passionate, and excited about the material that he directs. He admits in the "Superman Returns" DVD that he can be difficult at times to work with because he is so animated.

10. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

It was tough seeing Superman get clobbered by a woman. :wtf:

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It was certainly not "savvy."

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman Returns did have a "3D premium" in the form of IMAX 3D. However, I don't know how much that contributed to the overall box office performance. Not enough, obviously.

13. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw that once before. Its like reality just hit him in the face that his movie wasn't liked majorly by anyone.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Singer is a very high strung individual and usually comes off as very scatterbrained. He's notorious for coming up with new ideas during the filmmaking process which has frustrated many of his colleagues.

That's why you have a deleted scene that cost $10 million and Singer completely changing the opening sequence and re-structuring the first act of Superman Returns at the last minute. As John Ottman was once paraphrased for saying, after a while you just begin to expect that at any minute Singer will come in and radically change something on relatively short notice.

For instance, he and Halle Berry never really got along, and their quite vocal argument made the headlines when they were shooting X2. I think Berry even said during the press junket for X-Men: The Last Stand that she didn't necessarily mind that Singer didn't come back. Alan Cumming also complained a little about Singer's improvisational creative process several times during press for X2.

I think Ian McKellen best described Singer this way, to paraphrase, when he was comparing Singer with Brett Ratner, who directed X-Men: The Last Stand, on the difference between the two directors: "[Bryan] is the type that would stay away from everyone at a party; Brett is the type that would inevitably become the host and essentially become the center of attention".

In other words, where Ratner is very out-going and social, Singer is a bit more socially reserved and yes, awkward. I think that's why he's one of my favorite filmmakers because I can relate to him that way.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Many, many creative people are socially awkward.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not significantly in those days, no. 3D runs around forty percent of a big movie's take now, domestically and higher in foreign markets.

17. Admiral_Young

JacksonArcher...thanks for your eloquent post. That was precisely what I was attempting to say last page.

18. JacksonArcher

I am one of them.

Of course. I got your point.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Zack Snyder seems more layed back and straight forward...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwDLnIsOwW8[/yt]

Unless I am reading him wrong.

:shrug:

20. JacksonArcher

Singer delivered a much more cerebral movie than I think we're going to get from Snyder. I think based on Snyder's litany of previous works and his general personality, we're going to get a much more action-packed, less meditative and thoughtful film. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but I just hope it's not completely soulless, either.