Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So does everyone else for that matter and that's not my point. My point is that this is a news thread, should be discussing said news...not tearing each other's posts apart or posting irrelevant things because we're bored. Look at the last three pages for a good example. There's nothing to talk about pertaining to this movie (except old news about a possible plot that was discussed back last year!!!). I also have ignored this thread from time to time.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ No, by and large I agree with you, I was just gently chiding. There have been huge chunks, indeed pages, of discussion I wanted to delete too (Psionic powers anyone?) but I don't think it's to early to post the thread. We do have a director, we do have a star, a female lead and a villain among others. Movies take longer and longer to make now - threads will start earlier and earlier. Patience, Padawan, patience.

3. Admiral_Young

There are a few posts that I've wanted to delete of my own...it can just get extremely frustrating when we're essentially talking about nothing. That being said, I think I'm going to step away from the thread until there is something to talk about :)

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, then, here's some nonsense
    "A young reporter named Clark Kent roams the world covering various news stories. When he is compelled to use his secret powers to intervene in a crisis in West Africa, he returns to Smallville to learn more about his origins and the hero he was born to be."

Now, that sounds a lot like Superman: Birthright, the 12 issue comic written by Mark Waid and drawn by Leinil Francis Yu. If Zack Snyder plays off that, I'll be one happy super fan. This saw Superman fend off a Kryptonian alien invasion with Lex Luthor heavily involved. Actually, there is a bit more to it than that, but if you decide to give it a read (highly recommended for any Superman fan), I don't want to spoil.

Speaking of spoilers, my source close to the production of the Man of Steel, who told me about Krypton and Lindsay Lohan's role, offered up the following details.

Along with Zod and Faora, the Kryptonian scientist Jax-Ur will be in the movie. (In the comics, Jax-Ur is responsible for the destruction of the Kryptonian moon which causes Braniac to take notice of Krypton - which fits in with what I was told about setting up Braniac as the potential villain in the sequel, if one is made).

The three are trapped inside the Phantom Zone and work their way out. They home in on Kal-El's craft that landed in Smallville and make their way to Earth.

The three Kryptonians integrate themselves into human society where Zod grows a deep hatred for the humans as he feels they are destroying the planet. With this view of the humans "wasting their perfect planet," the Kryptonians then begin to formulate a plan to make a better Krypton.

Zod wants to make Earth the New Krypton, using Faora to start the new Kryptonian bloodline and using Jax-Ur to accelerate human technology though LexCorp, which is the most advanced company on the planet, run by Lex Luthor.

Enter General Samuel Lane.

Earlier it was reported that Alberta, Canada lost the filming location due to not having the right military equipment. Aircraft Carriers and things of that nature were cited, with Chicago reportedly having the necessary vehicles.

General Lane will be leading Earth's defense against Zod, Faora and Jax-Ur -- and also Superman. Just as Zod's hatred for humans grows, Lane's hatred for aliens does, as well, - and this applies to Superman.

I've been told Jeff Bridges and Ed Harris are being looked at for the role of General Lane.

I've also been hearing different things back and forth as the script is getting rewritten. Earlier I stated that Braniac destroys Kandor, but that doesn't seem to be the case (which fits in more with Jax-Ur, actually) with the latest script. However, Braniac is still set to be involved with Krypton's destruction.

Again, I can't bank on any of this info, so keep that in mind.

Link

5. Admiral_Young

^ I'd say that percentage is about accurate on the bull shit meter. It sounds like a mash-up of both "Superman: Birthright" with parts of "Superman:New Krypton". I wouldn't actually mind seeing most of that in a comic book story but not a movie.

6. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

I wish that they could do that myself!

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Kiefer Sutherland as Lex Luthor! :p

8. Admiral_Young

^ I'd cast Kiefer as Metallo :)

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Ralph Fiennes as Lex Luthor.

10. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah I'd be pleased with that.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

or Brainiac! James Marsters did a fairly solid job though, but Fiennes could top him. Although, after playing Voldemort for so long, maybe he wouldn't want to wear the prosthetics.

12. Admiral_Young

Fiennes would be excellent as Brainiac. James Marsters was good as Brainy as well, in fact I loved him as Brainy rather than Brainiac. I want a Legion of Superheroes movie :(

13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So many great actors could play Lex and I'd also like to see Guy Pearce and Nolan reteam in some form or another. He'd be a good Lex too.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I still like Paul Rudd as a Smallville type Lex Luthor. :)

15. Admiral_Young

Guy Pearce would be terrific as Brainiac. I'd not thought about that.

16. JacksonArcher

Guy Pearce would also be terrific as Lex Luthor or even John Corbin aka Metallo.

17. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

^So would a ton of other guys.

My choices for Lex Luthor:

1. Vin Diesel
    2. Tom Hardy

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ That's a ton?

19. JacksonArcher

Combined they weigh a ton...