Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Jonathan's "maybe" had a hint of doubt to my ears, like he was conflicted. And like you said, we don't know if that's his whole response or if the rest of it was cut out for the purposes of the trailer.

Personally I like the idea of Jonathan not having all of the answers. I'd rather have Clark discover his purpose on his own, using lessons (both good and bad) from both Jonathan Kent and Jor-El to do so.

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It does have a serious feel to it (the trailer) along the lines of Nolan's Batman though, perhaps, not going for such grimness. Certainly, it is quite apart from the kitsch sentimentality of Donner's Superman. I liked that Rockwell version of Superman, though. The Nolan seriousness just doesn't entertain me. However, I shouldn't be surprised to see this do much better than the last film.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I take the "maybe" as sort of implying Clark has to employ some thought into who he chooses to save, considering the greater outcome. If this is a meaningful scene in may play an important role in the movie in Clark/Superman's arc in the movie. In the first movie he's told by Jor-El that he cannot interfere with the course of human history but Superman defies this order by reversing time to save Lois.

It also makes me think of a scene in the All-Star Superman comic (I think this is where it is from) where Lois (I think) temporarily given super-powers is taught about "Superman Triage" where Superman listens to help needed out there and chooses what he wants to do based on what he hears. Rather than helping, say, a robbery or something he does something else because he ALSO hears that police have been dispatched and will arrive at the robbery in time to help.

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

That was a damn good trailer. I loved the tone and the music, the action scenes looked awesome. I like that the appear to be exploring some of the tragedy of the character too, like when as a boy Martha is telling him to focus on her voice.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I didn't care for the trailer. Why does every movie have to be all serious and angsty? Can't we just have a movie that's fun for a change? Can't Superman just be a dude who is happy with his life and flies around saving people?

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The problem with that is it's uncertain where the drama comes from.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree wtih this. Suprman Returns was so full of this. Even though it was intended to be the same timeline, the original film had plenty of drama, yet Superman wasn't so full of angst. Sure, he had some, but he never had so much doubt that it brought down the film. In fact, by having his human father suffer a heart attack giving him the most doubt - that was really poignant. And there were a few other moments (his real father's instruction not to alter history) but the film still had a willing superman who was prideful, eager, and filled with virtue. The angst was there, sure, but his willingness to help others, to not show his same in himself to others, had more precedent. This was why it was the greatest portrayal of Superman ever, and why Reeve will always be Superman. All the things we look to Superman for were in that movie.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clark is on a journey to become Superman. He needs to discover himself and his place in the world before embracing his duo heritage and donning the suit and cape. These are the things that "Man of Steel" is going to explore. I thought the scene with Superman and Lois was beautifully done.Also the shot of him hugging Martha at the farm. Just because this is going to be a personal journey, doesn't mean there won't be familiar elements that we've come to expect to see in a Superman story. The writers and Snyder are all very much aware of that this time around.

9. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the trailer was pretty awesome -- the music, the images. I was a bit unsure about Supes being rebooted by Snyder, but this trailer has sold me. Love how the sweep of the cape at the end is used as the "to black" transition.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trailer's fine. I'll be seeing this film.

11. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Feelings mutual, JA. I started dropping out last year to avoid spoilers when the big summer movies came out. Then I started spending more time at other sites. From here on I plan to be current with everything. The debut of the new Man of Steel trailer was enough incentive.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone who thinks that movies not following the "let's have fun/fun/fun" stereotype in marketing will fail during the summer season should not give up their day jobs - unless those jobs are in marketing, in which case they ought to retrain.

Most good, successful movies - but thanks anyway. :cool:

13. Kelthaz

Meh. I don't think the film will fail either financially or critically. It will most likely be a great film that does what it says out to do quite well. I'm just not interested in seeing what the film is interested in showing.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Star Trek?

15. Kelthaz

Huh? Into Darkness looks pretty good.

16. Nerys Myk

So you are interested in seeing the new Star Trek film?

17. Kelthaz

Yes. Yes I am. Is your trap ready to be sprung now?

18. Nerys Myk

Nah, I'm just confused. Lost track of where I was.

Sorry.

19. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Since general Zod is the only nemesis truly worthy of Superman this will be good.
    It has always been Superman's gentle nature that stopped him from breaking Lex Luthors neck in about 1.3 seconds.

But come on the US Army arresting Superman.....please.:rommie:

20. Kelthaz

Yeah, it will be nice to see a villain who is Superman's equal for a change. The only real fight we've had in the films up to this point has been Superman vs. Nuclear Man. And The Quest for Peace getting any credit is just wrong.