Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Fiora was the figure standing in the center of the screen with desturction before her

3. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Hey, they made a movie version of Smallville!

Anyhoo, watching the new Superman trailer is like being punched in the face repeatedly by a man screaming, "SUPERMAN IS CHRIST!"

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The footage looks amazing, but I'm afraid the music just didn't work for me this time. Especially compared to the powerful comic con version.

Still though, can't wait to see this.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha no wonder.

6. Joerib

Joerib Lieutenant Red Shirt

I got that vibe also on the bus scene... :lol:

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been mildly curious to see what angle they can take with this character, but this doesn't seem like a direction that's going to work for them. Too whiney and emo, tha may work okay on a CW show, but summer popcorn movie audiences are looking for FUN!

Also, why is Supes afraid that people will hate him for being a superpowered alien? Thor is a superpowered alien, and humanity doesn't seem upset or angry about his presence on Earth in a couple of movies now.

Yeah I know, DC vs Marvel, but the audience won't make a distinction because they neither know nor care. Thor is a fun, crowd-pleasing character. Imagine if they made him whiney and emo instead. Avoiding that is probably why they ditched the Don Blake angle.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the first shot is him with his arms wide like a crucifix.

My friend said that this trailer is a work of art, and is better than the STiD trailer.

First it's longer. The Trek trailer was a minute, just to announce the film. Secondly, reading into it a little, one of the things I've always liked about Trek was the idea that the peaceful future was an illusion. But only a few episodes have ever really hit that theme, and I believe it's far more interesting than most superhero tropes. By contrast, this trailer hits upon the same themes that the other superman films have hit, though I'm glad they are not dovetailing Donner. Even still, it feels like the same Passion of The Clark ideals that bogged down Returns, new aesthetic or not.

9. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is what the trailer tells me:

* Dad tells him to keep his identity a secret, he doesn't listen.

* Eventually pays the price of not listening to dad, leads to his being arrested just as Zod and Co appear on Earth.

* Escapes, defeats Zod and Co, goes back in time, (him with the beard watching his younger self disobey dad) to prevent previous timeline.

* Film ends with successful timeline alterations, setting up sequel in which adult Clark Kent has job at Daily Planet as if nothing ever happened.

That look about right?

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Not really.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, this looks awesome.

12. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Young Clark won the Science Fair project with Wyoming's Devil's Tower?!

[​IMG]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a relief. ;)

14. DrunkUncle

DrunkUncle Ensign Red Shirt

You mean like The Dark Knight Rises, this years second highest-grossing movie wich opened in the middle of July?

15. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

This trailer blew me away. Best trailer of 2012 for me. Some stunning images, like the shot from behind with the flowing cape.

I'm really liking the more mythical yet somber approach to the material.

I was not anticipating this before, but they've sold me now. (And this is coming from someone who is not a big Superman fan, although I have seen all the films)

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It's actually a sequel to Gladiator. Russell Crowe's Maximus character ascended to Krypton after his death and changed his name to Jor-El.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it is somewhat surprising they're going for another dark and moody Superman, after the poor reception SR got.

But the clear difference this time is that they're also making it really huge and EPIC, with tons of intense action to balance out the somberness.

That's what SR was lacking, and why I believe people ultimately didn't respond to it.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It looks like Superman done in The Dark Knight mold, and Christopher Nolan's name is prominently attached to it. People will go to see this.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

After the excellent cinematography of The Dark Knight trilogy, and the nicer looking comic book films out there lately, the shaky cam handheld images here are pretty ugly.

Superman Returns wasn't dark and moody, it was emo and boring.

20. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I really do not expect this to be dark and moody like the Batman series. Yes, I know Nolan has been attached to both, I just don't think it will be as dark. I do give the benefit of a doub that Nolan and Snyder know the difference between Batman and Superman. I am thinking we will get a movie that has a serious tone but is also fun.

Batman was serious and well told but fun is not a word I would use to describe it.