Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. As I've said a couple of times already, I think Man of Steel will be one of the few movies to get a teaser a year in advance.
    But that's being released later this month. I know because the trailers said so. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool, glad to see it's going to be a big, proper movie score.

Hopefully he can come up with something as memorable and catchy as his Gladiator, Pirates, and Sherlock Holmes scores.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I would hate to have to be the composer to follow John Williams theme which is burned into the consciousnesses of all Superman fans, but Hans is an excellent choice!

5. Admiral_Young

John Ottman did an incredible job with the score to "Superman Returns". His complete score is sensational, aside from reusing the classic theme he pretty much did his own score...but yeah Hans should be interesting.

6. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He must use the classic score as the opener otherwise no-go. From what am seeing though, it could be the next Batman franchise, or the next Green Lantern.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Wrong.

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He won't, and that's just fine. :techman:

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I like that they keep switching composers for the Marvel Universe films. But here they throw Hans Zimmer at both Batman and Superman.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Alan Silvestri was composer on both Captain America and The Avengers.

12. Admiral_Young

They haven't kept switching composers on the MCU films. The only time that has happened was John Debney on "Iron Man 2" taking over for Ramin Djawadi. Joss Whedon specifically requested Silvestri be brought on board "Avengers" so the film could retain a sense of musical continuity with Captain America. Far as I know Debney is still attached to "Iron Man 3" unless Shane Black decides to go with someone else. Patrick Doyle is supposed to return for "Thor 2". Although the composers for these films haven't been officially announced. Of course we don't know the status of an Incredible Hulk sequel so who knows if Craig Armstrong will return or not.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Let's move on. Let's do something new. No reason to constantly recycle the past.

Williams's score is fantastic, the theme is iconic, and not using it won't change that one bit. In fact, I think it would be BEST not to use it... let this movie stand on its own...

14. Admiral_Young

They've already stated they're going to do something new, so fans who want to see Williams score in "Man of Steel" are going to be disappointed.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I won't be disappointed. I like the theme but honestly it sounds a little dated to me. I'm looking forward to hearing something new.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Patrick Doyle seems to be Branagh's 'go-to' composer so if KB isn't returning, he may not either. Shame, as I thought his score was the best of the Marvelverse.

Interesting that Zimmer, rather than Snyder's usual composer is scoring MOS. Does this hint at a Nolan-domination of the movie or is it just that Hans' experience with the Batman movies and his ability to score a rousing action movie was felt more appropriate for Superman's resurrection?

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I love the classic Superman theme from John Williams. I am mixed about this. I would love for Hans to reuse the main theme because it is so associated with the character but on the other hand I do understand the need for this reboot to disassociate itself from previous Superman movies.

18. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean this one?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0B1ufyXOds[/yt]

or this magnificent one?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcUvrJCGao[/yt]

or this one?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYMynm63A-k[/yt]

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

My problem would be that great character themes are pretty damn rare these days. So we won't likely get some great, classic, Superman theme that'll latch to the character for a generation but some generic piece of music easily forgotten.

20. Admiral_Young

Tyler Bates has a busy schedule coming up. I believe he's attached to a number of films for 2013. Nolan except for script re-writes has been hands off and allowed Zack to do his thing.