Spoilers Supergirl - Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, jeez! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get well soon.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I've been hit by two different cars - both hit and runs - in the space of a month and may have meniscus damage to my left knee (we thought my right foot might be broken as well, but it's not as swollen as it was directly after the accident).

As far as Supergirl goes, I decided to just watch the Crisis without bothering to get caught up and will deal with the fallout come January.

TREK_GOD_1 and Morpheus 02 like this.
  3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Supergirl
    Season 5 /
    Episode 9 - "Crisis on Infinite Earths - Part One"

SG/Kara: SG - A bit of improvement in Benoist's performance; it seems her SG is a better character when she's shaken on this level, as opposed to the run-of-the-mill domestic stuff.

Oliver: Hawkey--I mean Oliver's scenes with his daughter needed more attention. Hopefully, it will play a part in the final chapter, with his being brought back to life, if only for a moment.

SM/Lois: The Argo sequence was entirely anti-climatic, since you know...coming TV series, which should be worth checking out as Hoechlin and Tulloch have some chemistry, although Tulloch is really trying a bit too hard to channel the late Margot Kidder,

Monitor: LaMonica Garrett is sort of low key in his delivery considering the gravity of what's supposed to be happening to everything. One would hope the situation brings out some heart as this goes along.

Harbinger: Audrey Marie Anderson played this well enough. Nowhere near as otherworldly & enigmatic as the classic comic version, but she was cold/business-like enough.

Lena:
    Despite Alex's cold, hard truth, the showrunners had to shoehorn the embodiment of corruption into this. That said...

"I've learned my lesson from all of you." / "We are not friends...". Good. At least she's written as unforgiving as she should be, but I suspect all realistic development (including her corrupt nature) will be tossed out of the window sooner or later. Probably in the event she runs into her brother again, so he can show her how she's not like her family (despite her saying that for every season she's been on the show).

Nia / Brainy:
    ...and if Brainy knows anything about the course of what--in his experience--is the past, he has said nothing for what reason? Nia should hold that over his head when the dust settles.

NOTES: You would think for this crossover, they would shell out more for the FX. Poor FX really undermined this episode.

Burt Ward's cameo. If they were going to do so much fan-service casting, one would have thought he would have more to do. Perhaps he appears--appropriately enough--on the Batwoman part of this.

Kelly: "James left this for me." ...but not a single scene with James when a world-threatening conflict would at the very least inspire a call to his sister...Kara...anyone. Nope. Unless he has a cameo in the episodes to come, he's forever marginalized.

The editing and direction were choppy as Hell. Off reaction shots, a slapped together feel and a lack of careful direction, which was very noticeable in the Gotham scene, which did not play like anything directed by Dale, Peters, Allowitz, et al.

Overall, this first chapter felt rushed, and despite every pronouncement of imminent danger, it was lacking the absolute dread the classic comic had from the start, letting you know this was no ordinary superhero story by a longshot. Further, most of the main players were not given much to do, other than the writers trying their hand at a few MCU-esque quips here and there. Hopefully, the Batwoman chapter will be as serious as the rest of that series.

GRADE: C.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  4. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I’ve always wondered if the Waverider could travel to parallel Earths/realities. Guess this episodes answered that. You would think Rip would have mentioned that in the “Star City 2046” LoT episode when we all just assumed it was Earth-1 all along.

So where did all the refugees get dumped? Did they offload on Earth-1even knowing it is only a matter of time before the antimatter reaches them?

5. DigificWriter

We already knew - thanks to comments from Legends showrunner Phil Klemmer - that the Waverider could travel interdimensionally as well as temporally, so this isn't actually that much of a surprise.

6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

What was the Traveler doing in Supergirl?

Caretaker likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alex was looking at a picture of a Negh'var combined with parts from a Dominion battlecruiser and dreadnought.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Did we? Unless they say it/show it/clarify it onscreen instead of in interviews, it is just an assumption.

9. DigificWriter

I don't agree.

It is nice to have onscreen confirmation that we've actually seen the Waverider travel interdimensionally, though.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They did say at the time that it was a "pocket universe," an alternate future in some sort of temporal side track. A slight difference in detail, but basically the same principle.

11. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt it. He's 70 something, doesn't act anymore, and I never pictured him having more than one line or two. What I am hoping is that in the end, his Earth will be restored, and we will see it.

I don't mind that Lena isn't pure evil. A good villain thinks she is the hero, and I have no problem believing Lena believes she is good, but she's not. What made me annoyed was that Alex apologized to her. I get the stressful situation, but enough apologizing to the villain. If anything, Lena's actions have shown EXACTLY why she shouldn't have been let in on Kara's secret.

Kelly having the shield was a bit off. Why would James do that? Where was James? Did he even make it off planet? Guessing Earth 38 will be ok. I really hope SHE doesn't become an action hero too. That is just ridiculous.

That is a great question. The resources they would require on Earth 1 would be a huge drain. You're talking a 50 percent increase in world population, suddenly. Imagine all those doppelgangers.

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Mongolia is pretty empty

13. TREK_GOD_1

A single scene confirming his identity would not be too taxing on him, I imagine. Otherwise stunt/fan-service cameos are just that, and meaningless.

Ah, but the showrunners are determined to have anyone with sense--such as Alex about Lena's true nature--perform unrealistic moral gymnastics all for some unbelievable "pal" moment somewhere down the line. Alex apologizing after all she knew about Lena would call her ability to judge reality into question.

James would have no reason to do it. she's not a vigilante, never expressed an interest in anything of the sort, and if some will assume he gave it to her for protection, perhaps he should have remained in the city, since giving her the shield strongly implies he feels the city is dangerous. Further, it was never established that he taught her how to use it (including bracing for / offsetting strikes/impact), so she was expected to know...how?

In any case, James was a marginalized token from the start, unceremoniously booted from the show in this season, and when earth is on the brink of extinction, he's not making contact to see if he's okay. Yeah, sure. Business as usual for James and James alone in Berlanti-Land.

Call Thanos?

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Ludicrous that they managed to evacuate 3 billion people with a hastily assembled group of ships in a few hours. Even if they had the capacity, an evacuation of that proportion would take far longer than they had. No sense of scale.

TREK_GOD_1 and Romulan_spy like this.
  15. Kirk Prime

Agreed, but at least you have the alien McGuffin.

There had to be something with Lena's tech that also made that possible. It was almost like a mass portal.

16. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

They did have a scene confirming it was Robin. "Holy Red Sky of Death" (or whatever words he used).

17. Kirk Prime

I can't imagine any more being done with Burt Ward. My hope though is that we get a tag scene showing all the important Earths they destroyed have been restored. It's a big difference.

18. TREK_GOD_1

COIE Part 1 was a rushed, choppy mess where things just happened "because". All of this build up the showrunners had over several series and they can't launch this with the sense and careful unfolding / unavoidable dread of the classic comic. Well, at least they have four more episodes to get it right.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The location for his cameo said 'Gotham - Earth 66'.
    Using previous earth number styles, it's meant to imply it's the 1966 TV series universe.

I don't think you can get any more confirmation than that.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

honestly you won’t miss much, feels like all of the shows have been kinda stalling for Crisis. For Supergirl, just know that Kara and Lena had it out, Lena is pissed and not friends with the group anymore. Flirted with going full-Lex but backed off for now. That’s why she’s pissy with Alex. Don’t think there’s anything else that played into Crisis thus far.