Spoilers Supergirl - Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It just doesn’t matter. People use “ten years ago” as an approximation all the time. Has zero impact on the story (which was excellent, incidentally).

Commander Richard likes this.
  2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It does impact the story, though, because details matter.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^To that degree, only to the chronically pedantic.

Seriously, did you lot just spend two pages quibbling over what amounts to a few digits? How does that have any substantive impact on the quality of the writing, acting or storytelling?

Ovation likes this.
  4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

If there's one thing I've learned form comics it's that strict continuity isn't all that important. ;)

ihno, Unicron and Ovation like this.
  5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but they don't. Not to that degree. There is simply no reason why such a tiny detail, in this case, should have any impact at all. Nothing in the story hinges on that degree of specificity. Not one element of the story is damaged, in any way, for the lack of precision, nor is anything in the show's "present" affected in any meaningful way.

If the town had been named Somerset, if Eliza was a short brunette with a thick Cockney accent, if the actor playing the young Kara was black and seven feet tall--obviously these would be serious issues. A rounding error? Not so much.

There are stories where such details matter--this simply wasn't one of them.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

On screen text descriptions of time periods are often wrong. I always go with the character say in dialogue.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ And in this case, dialogue got the dating wrong too.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Liza white lied about Kara's age, adding a couple years, so that Alex could look after her, in the same year at school.

Later, in the real world, Kara went back to her actual age, because she is vain.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

According to Chyler Leigh, Supergirl and Alex will be the only Earth-38 denizens attending Barry & Iris's wedding and getting involved in "Crisis on Earth-X." Everyone else will be staying in National City, it seems. I wonder how that's going to play out. The producers and actors keep saying that this crossover is like one big, integrated 4-hour miniseries rather than each part focusing mainly on its own show's cast. So will we just not see much of the Supergirl cast? Maybe there will be a few scenes on E-38 in the first part before Kara & Alex cross over.

Anyway, I guess that means the ultimate nerd team-up of Felicity, Cisco, and Winn isn't happening yet.

10. Christopher

Just rewatched "Midvale"... Is it me, or when Erica Durance was playing J'onn playing "Agent Noel Neill," was she kind of doing an impression of the actual Noel Neill?

11. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess is that the first half will be a standard supergirl episode then Supergirl and Alex will leave and the rest of the episode will be on Barry's Earth, ending with the cliffhanger of Nazis crashing Barry and Iris' wedding.

12. Christopher

According to what cast and crew have said in interviews, this is all one big, totally integrated four-series crossover throughout. They already did the thing last year where each part of the crossover was tailored to its own specific series, and many fans were disappointed that it wasn't more unified, so this year it's all thoroughly unified, or so they say. So while I expect we'll get a couple of early scenes on Earth-38, they'll probably be intercut with setup scenes of the other casts.

And we know from the photos that
    there will be a version of Winn on Earth-X, so Jeremy Jordan will be present that way. Maybe we'll see Earth-X counterparts of other Supergirl cast members as well. Although I doubt James would've fared well on Nazi Earth...

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Supergirl--
    "Wake Up"

Kara/SG: No sense in her jumping back into Teen Nick mode after discovering Mon-El on an alien ship, yet the show pushes her in that direction. All of the histrionics of a woefully underdeveloped "romance".

"Which of you is deciding what my best interests are?!?" Really? This from the woman who once tried to order James to sop being the Guardian for his (alleged) own good. Hypocrite.

Mon-El: Well, we knew the lifeless TeenNick part of the series was coming back, but, there's that other shoe waiting to drop. Soap opera fans should not worry, since he will make things right, and give some quivering-voiced, teary-eyed reason why he's being forced to be bad. Awww......sweet ONLY if he makes the permanent trip to the 30th century.

Imra Ardeen / Saturn Girl: Far different look than her Silver Age counterpart, but I have to admit the Legion coming to the series is intriguing. I just hope there's no tired jealousy plot with Kara, or she's killed off just get back to Teen Nicking.

Samantha / Reign : Samantha's mother kicked her out....come on, another fractured parent/child relationship? Overused, pushed plot device in too many TV series. Oh, entertainment biz, your favored cultural assumptions are showing.

The barn scene...another swipe from Superman the Movie, like the teased "spin/drill" with Supergirl. I usually take shots at swipes, but this was nice.

Her own "fortress" creation was pretty interesting. Setting up her contrast to Kal-El's Fortress of Solitude in location, climate, substance, along with her soon to be adopted role as...

J'onn & Myr'nn: Hey--more dysfunctional parent/child plots. Who would ever see that coming on this show...

James:
    "I've never seen you more happy" Gee, like that was not the showrunners forcing James firmly in the friendzone to keep pushing the hollow Mon-El romance.

Winn:
    If Winn assumes there's more to the Mon-El story because.. you know...sleeping on a submerged alien ship...then how could be so easily convinced--sans evidence and safeguards--to free Mon-El. Convenient plot to set up the next reveal is...convenient.

NOTES:

So, earth is referred to as "the world of men"--interesting.

GRADE: B.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

After reading that I wasn’t expecting a B from you

15. Christopher

So... Mon-El put a ring on Saturn Girl? How fitting...

Sad to see what happened to Samantha. She was excited to discover her origins, starting to think maybe she could be another hero like Supergirl, and then she just gets taken over. That's awful. And bad for Ruby, too. (And awfully inconvenient for Lena and L Corp...) When the producers said this season would show the formation of a villain, I wasn't expecting something this abrupt.

Where were the desert scenes filmed? They don't have landscapes like that in British Columbia, do they? It looked more like Southern California.

So J'onn's been living at the DEO all this time? Never had his own place? Then again, it's this pair of huge skyscrapers, so it could have dozens of floors of apartments below all the secret stuff.

I'm surprised to see that there was no tag scene setting up the big crossover. I thought it would end with Kara getting a call from Earth-1 and saying "We've been invited to a wedding!" and then a big "TO BE CONTINUED IN... CRISIS ON EARTH-X!" graphic or something. But I guess instead they're saving the setup for the start of the crossover.

Anyway, Kara right now is maybe not in a great state of mind for going to a friend's wedding.

16. Dick Whitman

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Greg Cox likes this.
  17. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

They should use the actress from the flashback to introduce an Earth 1 version of Supergirl/Powergirl as an out of control teenager.

18. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I wish more then ever, now, that they had used Tom Welling as Superman last season. They could have incorporated most of the Smallville lore, at least up until Clark is out of school and operating in Metropolis. End of Season 5 or so.

USS Firefly likes this.
  19. Dick Whitman

NO. Smallville and Supergirl do not fit together at all. So many differences the most obvious on Smallville Kara arrived long before Clark became Superman. It never would have happened anyways. Welling never would have done it. The Smallville finale was written for him to appear in full costume for most of the episode as Superman. He rejected it, which why you got CGI Superman instead.

20. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Mon-El is the only one who woke up. I immediately thought of the movie Passengers. Then Hank asks about other passengers.

They probably did film it there.

It's an odd place to put a fortress. It's not as isolated as Superman's. Anyone could drive up to it.

Didn't know that. What a shame.

I wouldn't mind if he played Lex Luthor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.