Spoilers Supergirl - Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

That would bother me. They really need to use Michael Rosenbaum, IMO. They can amalgam their Superman and Krypton all they want, but he played a perfect Lex, that could span the multiverse.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No Smallville shit. Please.

3. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I love me some Smallville, and was utterly delighted last week to learn that some version of Chloe Sullivan (and her Wall of Weird!) exists in Supergirl's world, but while some of the broad strokes of Smallville might inform Clark's backstory in Sg, the details are clearly incompatible.

Anyway, I thought this was another very strong week. The season got off to a limp start, and I was increasingly concerned and disappointed throughout the first three episodes, but the show came back in a major way with "The Faithful," and has been killing it pretty consistently ever since.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's also the fact that, judging from his role on Lucifer this season, Tom Welling has gotten much worse as an actor than he was on Smallville. He's also gotten a bit too stocky for Superman. Let's not forget he was nearly a decade older than Clark was. He's 40 years old now.

Oh, hey, this is ironic: Tom Welling was born in 1977 and played a version of Clark Kent who was born c. 1987. Tyler Hoechlin was born in 1987 and is playing a version of Clark Kent who was born c. 1979.

Not many Americans realize just how vast and empty the deserts of the Western US are. Pretty much the entire western half of the continental United States consists of the densely populated West Coast, four or five big cities, and a huuuuge amount of empty:

https://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/7000/7052/us_population_2005_lrg.jpg

And we saw that Sam abandoned her car and walked some distance before she reached the Fortress site. So if she's somewhere deep in northern Nevada, say, it's pretty unlikely that anyone would just stumble across the place unless they knew where to look.

Of course, I'm sure plenty of military satellites -- and Google Maps searchers -- would eventually notice this big new rock outcropping, and people would investigate. But don't forget, this is an eeevil Fortress. So I'm sure it has more aggressive means of repelling intruders than just extreme isolation and concealment.

5. Serveaux

On Supergirl they have infinite resolution real-time satellite imaging joined to perfect GPS linked to instant geologic and spectral analysis - for starters. They'd spot that fortress in a hot minute.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of L Corp. apparently it or a version of it still exists at least 300 years in the future according to Mon-El

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The series has more than its share of problems in the handling of characters, external motivations and series direction, but the plot and framework of Reign, Mon-El/Saturn Girl was interesting, hence the B grade. I would be happy to see the series do more than what I believe will be a remake of Superman: the Animated Series' "New Kids in Town" (3 Legion members track Braniac to Smallville during Clark's teenage years), ending with a memory wipe, instead, send the SG gang to the 30th century, or perhaps have a group like the infamous Legion adversaries The Fatal Five or the Time Trapper make their way to 21st century earth, forever changing the series.

The audience sees it, but I would imagine it uses cloaking technology, or a generated obstacle (like a holographic hill, etc.) in a well travelled area like a Southwestern desert.

I'm not sure he could handle that role.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I think what's going to happen is that there will be a requisite epic battle between the two Kryptonian women. Kara will knock some sense into Samantha, telling her that deep inside, there's a loving mother, a good friend, and a loyal LenaCorp employee, someone who doesn't want to be Worldkiller. Like Caitlyn's Killer Frost, she regains control of her "light side." She leaves National City with her daughter Ruby.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

When it's convenient to the plot they do, but even then they first have to actually be looking for something like that to find it. Currently, they have no clue.

10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

So that was a rather abrupt "Hey, I'm evil now!" moment. I was expecting a more gradual change.
    I take it they'll be going for a Jekyll/Hyde thing?

11. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So first Lena isn't blond, now neither is Saturn Girl. I'm not buying it.

12. dahj

It won't matter once she turns evil :p
    [​IMG]

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are "rules" against polluting the time-line.

Mon-El had to get out of there before he accidentally helped someone into inventing transparent aluminium 2 centuries early.

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Sam doesn't exist any more; now there's just Reign. The way the episode ends, as well as what that "guardian" is saying, makes that pretty clear.

The only way this story ends is in death.

15. dahj

I was talking about Reign.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Despite the genitals... They do look alike.

The casting directors are in a rut.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Neither is Barry Allen. And Jimmy Olsen isn't a redhead.

That's a really hasty conclusion to leap to. Obviously at this point they want to create the impression that Sam is gone for good, because that's a scary, cliffhangery thing. But we've all seen many previous stories where someone seemed to have been turned forever to the dark side but was eventually won back to the light through the hero's efforts. I think there was this guy in some old movie named Darth something? Liked to wear black, had a breathing issue?

Greg Cox and Gryffindorian like this.
  18. Serveaux

The audience has an investment in Sam; she'll return to herself. Her daughter, the "mistake," pulls her back.

Gryffindorian likes this.
  19. dahj

We don't know that... he's always bald ;)

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Odette Annable is a one-season Series Regular, and the writers have been heavily telegraphing an "Alex adopts Ruby" story (Emma Tremblay's contract has a "Series Regular option" in it).

Throw that together with what the ending of Wake Up shows us, things that the producers have said, and what we know about future episodes, and it becomes pretty clear that this story isn't going to be redemptive in nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.