Spoilers Supergirl - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, May 12, 2016.

1. doylem1

doylem1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the reply guys

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I think they've tried to pile on too much at once, and some threads are getting lost in the clutter. It might've been better to keep James as Kara's friend and boss this season and save the Guardian thing for season 3.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Given how much James has been absent this season, I firmly believe we're dealing with a Willa Holland scenario here, where Mehcad Brooks is only contracted for a certain number of episodes despite remaining a Series Regular, especially given some things that we have heard regarding future developments in the remaining 7 episodes of the season as it relates to him, Winn, and Lyra.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Supergirl
    "Star-Crossed"--

Kara/SG: If the series had any stones at all, her "disgust" with Mon-El will not end once she comes out of her musical fantasy.

Mon-El: As much as the try to make Mon-El the "romantic hero," he's not a character with true struggle, no vulnerabilities or a purpose that was built instead of the script merely telling you he has a purpose. Of course, Mon-El will have to "stand up" and prove his worth (in quickie fashion) by opposing his baaaaddd parents and thus all will be wonderful with a capital "W" in TeenNick-Land

So, he loves being a hero because he gets to be at SG's side? That's not heroism.

Daddy and Mommy-El: "To make Daxam great again" Enough with the grade school shots at Trump.

The dialogue of questioning / half insulting Kara's heritage, Kara"hating" Mon-El for his true identity & "you're a prince--start acting like it" could no be more telegraphed. His acting like a prince will be proving his worth to SG. If the series had any stones at all, her "disgust" will not end once she coes out of her musical fantasy.

Winn / Lyra: Breaking and entering? No excuse for Winn to suddenly break the laws he's was currently trying uphold, but can give him a pass considering the outcome.

James: Nice that of anyone Winn would call to the police station, James (and Alex) would be first on his list. Someone finally saves Alex during a fight-and its James! Still, he's little more than hired muscle in this episode.

NOTES: The Jeremiah plot should have continued in this episode, since we were meant to believe he--and the Cadmus plot(s) were far from resolved. That should have received some kind of reference in the aftermath (this episode) no matter any plans for both toward the end of the season.

Clear as day parallel between Winn's trusting Lyra while Kara repeatedly says the opposite about Mon-El. "Dont you hate me?" / "Not even close" / "She didn't do what she did to hurt me" was certainly not referring to Winn and Lyra.

SG grabbing Mon-El as he beams up...for a moment I thought this was the Kirk/Gilliam Taylor scene from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home...

I actually laughed at that "super friends" thing.

GRADE: C-

5. Christopher

I'm surprised by how little attention the arrival of Mon-El's parents got relative to the Lyra/Winn plot. I thought that would be a much bigger deal. I assume it won't be the last we see of those two, though. And now we know how the name Lar-Gand fits into this -- it's the name of the king, Mon-El's father. Who, by the way, was rather lackadaisically played by Kevin Sorbo. He was kinda phoning it in there. Teri Hatcher did a better job, though. And Chris Wood was in rare form when Mon-El confronted his parents at the end there.

The Winn plot made decent use of Guardian, and it was interesting to see him fighting alongside Alex and the DEO. I wonder when we'll finally get a proper Supergirl-Guardian team-up, though.

It's cute the way they foreshadowed the musical crossover by having Kara and Mon-El talk about musicals in the cold open, and by having Winn mention that he was a theater geek. I wonder what the Music Meister's deal is. He let himself be captured so he could whammy Supergirl and steal her dimensional extrapolator to go after the Flash. Why? What does he gain from mind-whammying superheroes? How did he even know about the extrapolator? I guess we'll find out tomorrow night.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Also how would he even know about the Flash if he is from Earth 38?

It's strange that the Prince of Daxam has a Kryptonian style name. Especially given the hostilities between the two planets. His name does not even match his parents at all.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

OH! That was Blaine (from Glee)! Shucks.

8. Christopher

Because of the Flash's visit to National City in "Worlds Finest," I assume. Cat Grant made kind of a big deal about it in the media.

It doesn't surprise me that two neighboring planetary nations that have been interacting for millennia could have some linguistic similarities. Political and cultural rivalry doesn't rule that out. After all, England and France are historical rivals, but English is heavily influenced by French due to the Norman Conquest. Maybe there was a Kryptonian Conquest centuries ago in Daxam's past, or vice-versa, and it lasted long enough to leave a legacy in the language.

Besides, "El" is a pretty ordinary syllable. It's hardly impossible that it could exist in two unrelated languages and have totally different meanings. For instance, "el" means "angel" in Hebrew, "the" in Spanish, "him" in Romanian, "alder" in Danish, "from" in Esperanto, "away" in Hungarian, and so on.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Heck, think of India and Pakistan, or Britain and Ireland and Scotland back in the day. You can have hostilities and cultural differences and still have overlapping roots and linguistics. Krypton and Daxam have clearly had enough contact with each other to generate plenty of bad blood, which makes me figure they're probably related somehow. Family feuds are often the most deep-rooted.

10. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Daxamites have their livers on the other side.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  11. Christopher

I don't think that works as an analogy here, since they've only been separate nations since 1949, and the process of artificially segregating what had long been a single, multifaith India into two geographically and politically distinct populations was painful and horrifically bloody. Just one more of the many ugly consequences of Western colonialism.

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked how Teri Hatcher was channeling General Zod at the beginning with the TV-static broadcast "Return him to us." :D A few questions popped up. I don't believe it has ever been stated when Daxam was actually destroyed or rendered uninhabitable. Was it shortly after the destruction of Krypton? That would've been decades ago, and considering how Mon El has hardly aged at all, am I to think he was in cryogenic suspension the whole time his pod was traveling to Earth? Or did he travel a much shorter distance than Kara did? Or Daxamites age at a much slower pace than humans? Seeing as his parents are still alive after all this time, I'm inclined to think it hasn't been that long since they fled their homeworld. I was glad that Mon El stood up to his parents and asserted his independence, choosing to stay in his new "home" with the woman he loves.

Although Lyra threw him under the bus, Winn couldn't stay mad at her and even helped her get her brother back. Other love/betrayal stories would've ended there and then. "I don't expect you to understand, but I did what I had to do." But it doesn't look like it's over between them.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right after meeting him, Kara said that it was there, but a little fragged.

How do you think Earth would be if Mars blew up?

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So, a mediocre episode. Not caring about Mon-El or Winn's Girlfriend, and still being pissed about Mon-El's Dad's casting (I'm not using the characters name, that's an insult to the Legionaire the show stole it from) lead to this mostly being 45 minutes of irritation.

I did "like" how at the end, once again, we see that the villain-in-name-only (Music Meister) is completely unrecognizable as the character if you're not told directly who he is. Exactly like that terrible version of Mxy they had. I mean, I wouldn't expect the suit, hat or even glasses, but would something like a musical note lapel pin be too much to ask? Actually, while goofy, I think they could have gotten away with a version of the actual characters glasses.

At least when Flash does characters in name only (Atom smasher, Dr. Light, etc) you can kind of recognize them based on attire. This is just another generic CW style casting choice who you only know is a certain character because you're told he is. But, in the end, I'm not watching Flash until the next real episode airs on the 28th, so I guess it doesn't bother me that much. As for Supergirl, I hope we focus on something more interesting and better written then Winn's terrible alien girlfriend.

15. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that they could have dressed him up a bit for the part. Now I realize that they want to stay away from anything goofy but I think they could found something that worked. A musical note lapel pin as you suggested would have been good. Also, they could have had him introduce himself by singing a couple notes just to let the audience know what his schtick is. The business casual look is so generic. Is he the Music Meister or a hip millennial going on a date? LOL

16. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked this episode to an extent, though I think Kara has been overshadowed a bit. The show is called Supergirl, and I think Supergirl needs to take a little more centerstage--and not just with relationships. It's great she has a team and backup, but I think that she should have been able to handle for example, the Daxamite ship by herself. Kryptonians are very tough people, even among aliens.

Kara should have been able to singlehandedly take out the ship, and THAT is when Mon-El should have called a stop to it.

I really couldn't care less about Alex's relationship, Winn's relationship, J'onn's relationship,or even Kara's relationship, because that's not what I want in a superhero show.

I am a fan of crossovers, so I'm looking forward to tonight on Flash.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

It sounds like he more is the Music Meister in the mental dream state he creates. That is where he would look more what you expect. His first introduction by J'onn was so vague. I assume the DEO knows what he is capable of otherwise why would he have been captured? From what I have looked up he has never been given a civilian name yet. Tonight maybe be the first time we learn it on The Flash.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The thing I'm tired of is goofy CGI eye-flashing. Sure, it's the cheapest CGI effect you can do to signal "not human" or "oddball hypno-power." But holy shit, enough already.

19. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the DEO knows what the Music Meister can do then why did they not try to neutralize his mind control power before bringing him in?

20. Christopher

They explained that in the season premiere. His space pod had been trapped in the Well of Stars, a stellar phenomenon where time didn't pass. Our first glimpse of his parents at the end of "Medusa" had them tracking him to the Well of Stars and finding that the pod was gone.