Spoilers Strange New Worlds Episode 7 - Those Old Scientists

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by tomalak301, Jul 22, 2023.

?

Grade The Episode

1. 10

62.0%
  2. 9

18.5%
  3. 8

10.2%
  4. 7

3.3%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

1.3%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

0.3%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.0%
  1. passinglurker

passinglurker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Spock said it couldn't be found "in that region of space" that could just as well mean "no where in acouple days travel, we can't detour we're on a grain mission"

Yule Cat and Ogrebear like this.
  2. Santa Kang

Santa Kang An honorable elf Premium Member

It saved Trip's life. He's now teaching at Starfleet Academy in the 32nd Century.

Avalon, Sparky, HotRod and 2 others like this.
  3. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hated Dal at first, but then came to be a great character. People's views can change.

Some of the best Trek of the current era for me was Star Trek: Prodigy, which apparently had a small enough audience to cancel it, so this is very true.

I don't think there was ever any level of widespread hate for Lower Decks that you are implying here. And the reactions to the negative opinions are really about people going into persecution complexes, or just saying things that are not true... like the show canonized that LD is in a world that's animated.

There was one person here that joked about if you don't give this episode a 10, you have no soul or something like that. Maybe I misinterpreted that and it was a genuine statement of the poster's beliefs about others. Even if that were the case, it does not mean it's anything at all close to a universal position, or even a significant fraction.

I'd also like to point out that your analogy is flawed as well because Jar Jar Binks is unpopular with a part of the fandom. People who are younger, some of whom are my friends, grew up with Jar Jar and liked him when younger, and other than his appearance as a racist caricature of sorts don't have any issue with him. I always like to say, when I watched Star Wars Episode I, I found Jar Jar annoying. But I also found C-3PO incredibly annoying and a useless character, but because I didn't see the original trilogy until my late teens, I didn't see him as a beloved comic relief character from my childhood. My Jar Jar-hating friends were aghast. It's about perspective.

Anyway, I liked the episode. I don't give episodes ratings, but it was fantastic fun. It felt really fast, in a way faster than LD usually feels to me, probably because over time watching that show I came to be able to adjust, and this threw me. But it was fine after a while.

With regards to Tendi and Rutherford appearing in live-action, I imagine getting them in for a live-action cameo would have been a lot of work for not a lot of output, perhaps? They'd have to construct a headpiece for Rutherford, and some kind of Ortegas-esque wig for Tendi (not to mention the green make-up). And while Boimler and Mariner are WAY taller in SNW than they appear to be in animated form, Cordero and Wells are way shorter than their characters, and would probably really clash having them so much shorter compared to their friends. Rutherford is especially a lot taller than the others. Though a throwaway line about space-time differential would have been fine for me. In fact, since we've seen the LD crew next to Riker, we know that their heights are already off "canonically".

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    Yule Cat, JedGelt67, AlanC9 and 3 others like this.
  4. josiephine

josiephine Lieutenant Red Shirt

Eugene Cordero is too handsome to be kept off camera. Maybe next time...

5. SantaEddie74

SantaEddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Keep yer shapeshifting nanopolymer shirt on, Lieutenant."

JedGelt67, Sumire, SolarisOne and 4 others like this.
  6. Scrooge Magoo

Scrooge Magoo Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That's an oddly specific and overly elaborate excuse to offer for reading what you pretend you're ignoring. :lol:

7. Possum on the Hearth

Possum on the Hearth Having an Awesome Possum Holiday Moderator

Star Trek finally made an actual "love letter to the fans".

8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

To be honest I don’t remember. It was connected to the Expanse in some way

9. SantaEddie74

"These Are The Apologies..."

10. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought it was weird too cuz unlike those two, who are adults that completely Academy training and should have a bit more polish, Dal is a literal kid...and one who has survived major trauma at that.

At any rate, this episode is absolutely perfect and I don't think I've seen a grading thread move this fast w comments since the ENT finale when we had ten time the active user base lol...I don't have anything else to say that hasn't already been said....everyone slayed, the writing was top notch and the love and care was apparent throughout all of it, 12/10 no notes :lol:

Yule Cat and nightwind1 like this.
  11. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: bruh....

12. grimorie

grimorie Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I enjoyed this episode, I've been meaning to check out Lower Decks and since watching have seen up to season 2 (I like it but I'm not fannish about it). Really fun and joyful episode!

SolarisOne and Anna Yolei like this.
  13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

I will say this I love how well done the Live action Lower Decks uniforms look. Like I can see them as the next evolution of the ones seen in Nemesis.

SolarisOne, nightwind1 and Anna Yolei like this.
  14. Unionized Elf

Unionized Elf Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only known location, beltaloada.

Oh. Not that The Expanse.

15. SurvivorJoe

SurvivorJoe Lieutenant Red Shirt

I had the same reaction back when watching one of the Kelvinverse movies (can't remember which one) when Uhura was at a bar and ordered a Cardassian Sunrise. I remember thinking it seemed odd that the Federation in this time period not only had already met the Cardassians, but they were serving their native drinks in Federation bars.

This discussion got me curious, and a quick search on memory alpha revealed that they actually addressed this in an issue of The Q Gambit comic storyline from 2014, ironically another Trek crossover, this time between the Kelvin crew and DS9.

(I realize this is in reference to the Kelvinverse, as well as a non-canon comic book, but still...)

JedGelt67 likes this.
  16. SantaEddie74

BOIMLER: "Sir, there HAS to be a peaceful solution, and I know diplomacy is one of your many, many strengths. That and patience, forgiveness, benevolence...really great hair."

[​IMG]

17. Amaris

Amaris From The River to the Sea Premium Member

It comes down to leeway. I give Boimler, Mariner, and the others leeway because they're already officers, they're already graduates of the academy, and they're assigned to a starship. They've already implied a certain level of ability, they're just also goofs. Mariner is cocky, but she shows that she has ability to back it up.

Dal had nothing to back it up. Yeah, he was a kid, but that was the issue: he was a cocky kid. He would go on to show he was more than bluster, but he started off that way, and there was nothing to indicate he had anything in him to back it up.

So while it may not seem like it for some, for me there is a difference between the two situations. I see Boimler, Mariner, and the others as I would fellow co-workers. We know our shit, but when we can, we goof off and have fun.

Dal would be the kid just hired on who brags that he can do SO many great things, but ends up spilling deuterium all over the cargo bay and causing half the ship to hallucinate, but instead of learning from it, he'd go on bragging about something else while others cleaned up his mess.

That was Dal at first. Later on, it became clear he had heart, and the drive to do something good with his life. That's when things changed for me when I would watch Dal. I honestly think we were supposed to see Dal as the cocky kid whose mouth gets him in trouble, but regardless, I did warm up to him. He's no Rok-Tahk, but he's a good person at heart.

Anna Yolei, Yule Cat, DEWLine and 2 others like this.
  18. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

10! Absolutely magical episode!

This was a perfect mix of comedy and character development. In that sense, it reminds of the episode where Spock became human. It seemed like it's going to be a goofball episode mainly for comedy, but then it hits you with some good deep, personal stuff. I was amazed when they pulled it off with Spock's episode, but then they top that with this one. Amazing!

The interactions they had between the two crews was perfection. I wasn't sure how the two styles would mix--but the mixture produced magic.

So many great interactions, special mentions for:
    Boimler with Spock
    Boimler with Chapel
    Boimler with Pike
    Mariner with Uhura

And so many fun references.

I can usually find something off with an episode, but I can't find a negative anywhere in this one. A fun, comedic, feel good episode with surprising depth and emotion at points. Absolute perfection!

That's the second 10 for me this season, the other being for Una's trail. I don't usually give many 10s.

19. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

My only complaint is that Beckett didn't give a sarcastic Vulcan salute!

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Please knock it off with that attitude. No one is forcing you to watch, nor to come here and report your findings in a so-called “Told you so” tour(TM).