Stephen Collins is Apparently a Child Molester

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Squiggy, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Captian Decker is Apparently a Child Molsester

I agree with The Wormhole on this one. It's a deplorable crime, and obviously it will make me uneasy the next time I watch TMP. But on the other hand, I've always been of the view that unless the crimes were committed as a part of that work, then the work should be able to stand apart from the person.

British media personality Jimmy Savile committed many of his crimes while working at the BBC, when he had access to children. That's an example where I think the crimes DO NOT stand apart from the work.

But, for example, Gary Glitter? I think what he did was utterly wrong, but I can distance that from his music. I still quite like "Rock and Roll Part 2" as a piece of music, and unless it was revealed he was doing those acts while in the studio recording the song then I'm easily able to distance the work from the man.

Stephen Collins..... now, if it came out he did some of this shit while working on TMP, then TMP would be tainted (and, I regret, rather difficult to watch). But if not, then it's a part of his body of work that I like to think I'll still be able to appreciate..... even though I might dislike the man himself. :shifty:

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Occupy TNZ, your not-so-veiled threat of personal accusation only serves to banish facts and reason, clearing the way for hysteria. I'm sure you don't mean that.

Obviously, no one should ever do what Collins is in trouble for.

I think Beaker Full of Death was gently alluding to the fact that many sex offenders who prey on children do worse things and leave the victims with devastating injuries-- or dead in a shallow grave. And if the word "heinous" gets defined-down to fit the sad little case of Mr Collins, then what will we say of the worst predators? Cheapening the language reduces our ability to address those bigger evils with words that cut.

On a final note, please don't respond to this reasoned thought by accusing me of being a sexual pervert, because I'm not one. And you're better than that.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Okay, guys, I think I'm going to close this thread before it degenerates into personal attacks. If you wish to discuss this with more heat, you all know where to go. Otherwise, there is a thread in TV and Media about this. Thank you for your attention, everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.