Steam Deck OLED

Nice if you do not have a SD yet, but personally i will wait for the SD2 to upgrade mine as no doubt that will be oled out the box, plus i got the 64 gig version so i do not have that awful anti glare screen that dulls the colour and brightness of the 512 gig model, and they sold that as a prem feature. lol

So what does the OLED model look like?

Well, like this:

Uka0nnc.png

-----

As those of you who already had the LCD model can attest, the Steam Deck - LCD or OLED - defaults to gaming mode, which uses the Steam client to install and play games.

Beyond gaming mode, SteamOS has a desktop mode which enables the Steam Deck to be used as a desktop Linux PC.

Although, it would be advised to do this while using a few added peripherals:

39UAKAZ.png

JbthKqx.png

a5qvNWC.png

Said peripherals are also recommended for playing games designed to be played on a larger screen with a keyboard and mouse. Although, using the OLED screen while docked is not an altogether bad alternative.

SteamOS has Mozilla Firefox installed as standard, though other apps - such as Google Chrome, LibreOffice, and so forth - can be installed from the Discover Software Centre (an "app store" for Flatpaks).

Note, however, that SteamOS sets the system memory to read-only by default. While it is possible to alter this, Valve only suggest that option for someone who knows what they are doing - not least since any edits made are liable to be wiped in the next OS update.

So there are two main ways to get new things running on the Steam Deck: to download (or transfer) and install them in the Steam client itself, or to use Flatpaks from the Discover Software Centre.

I should add: if you get a screen protector for an LCD model Steam Deck, such as the one in this video, it should also work on the OLED model:

As for cases, both the standard and Limited Edition 1TB OLED model have a detachable liner inside the case they send you - though I have not yet tried to detach the liner thus far:

xQPghsz.png

qoHanaV.png

Picked one up just after Christmas and I love it. Fired Emudeck onto it and have games all the way up to PS3 running on it. Haven't even scratched the surface on Steam games yet.

Ironically, to this point most of the game-related use I have had for the Steam Deck OLED has been to play games that are best played with a keyboard and mouse.

For example: Total War: Three Kingdoms is listed as Unsupported on Steam, yet it (mostly) runs well enough - though it's best to play on an external monitor with mouse and keyboard.

More recently, however, I installed my first Deck Verified game: Spider-Man Remastered. But of course, while you can play it in handheld mode, you also have the option to play it in docked mode with a separate controller.

And what might be a good choice of controller for that particular game?

b5fAUXS.png

jhrGXJU.png

This is the Midnight Black colour DualSense.

Notably, when you connect this controller to the Steam Deck (which can be done either via type-C USB or via Bluetooth), SteamOS replaces with A, B, X, and Y buttons on the interface with the four PlayStation buttons!

Also, on both the Steam Deck's own controls and on the external controller, it is possible to swap the button configurations to the Nintendo standard input: B swaps with A, while X swaps with Y.

Plus, the trackpad on the DualSense works as a trackpad in desktop mode, if you wanted to use it for that.

And you can manually adjust whether or not desktop mode activates the controller's built-in microphone and/or speakers. (At least when connected via type-C USB; I gather that not all of the DualSense features work on Deck via Bluetooth.)

Do any of you have an external controller for use in docked mode - and, if so, which one do you prefer?

I also use a DualSense controller when mine is docked. I have two so I can still use the other one with my PS5 when I'm not using the Deck. I recently found out it'll run Switch games so I've been playing TOTK and Pokemon Scarlet, both of which run fantastically.

Back