STC Ep. 9 - "What Ships Are For"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, Jul 9, 2017.

?

What did you think of "What Ships Are For?"

1. Excellent (little to nothing to criticize)

44 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Good (mostly works well, but some missteps)

22 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Fair (passable, but could have been better)

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Poor (some potential, but largely unrealized)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Bad (a waste of time)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

Maybe they organize it by 50 different shades of grey?. Also would kind be boring if they wear all the same shade of grey. I wonder how well they color matches up...

2. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

For the audience (us) yes it would be boring to see all those people wear the same colour, lack of colour or even mixed colours, but I think it would be more realistic.

3. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

Shades of grey would be normal to them as color is to us. They are still life forms with tastes. One might like a light shade of grey while another likes a dark shade, while yet another likes several of them. It would be realistic for them to wear whatever different shades of grey they want instead of all the same color. It's not like a specific uniform where there is one size only and that's all you are allowed to wear.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think it would be a more complex issue than as presented. The materials they used still had colour even if they couldn't see it. How would this come into play when it comes chemistry, biology and other sciences?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  5. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it! Good, timely story in the vein of TOS. Well done to the cast and crew!

KennyB likes this.
  6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This episode would lose much of its impact if seen on a b&w television. :lol:

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

IMO - This one was excellent. Probably one of the best ones they've done to date. I really enjoyed it.

cultcross, KennyB and aridas sofia like this.
  8. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I think it would be likely the inhabitants of the affected worlds likely developed other ways of cataloging and identifying things in the physical world through other means than color as the visual acuity reduced over time.

9. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very good, the story felt like Star Trek and the acting was excellent, well done!

aridas sofia likes this.
  10. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I came to make the same comment - a lot of people watched on little black and white screens back then... for the true retro viewing experience... this episode might not make the most sense. ;)

BoredShipCapt'n likes this.
  11. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

I liked it, though perhaps not as much as some of STC's other episodes. A bit too much exposition in my opinion. Some heavy-handed allegory to current events that I'll give them a buy for as it is in the best tradition of Trek. I don't want to post any spoilers, but I'll say that Chris Doohan seemed to be speaking his lines so fast I could barely comprehend him (and sometimes "couldna" at all). Also, some of the music cues seemed oddly chosen, esp. over some of the "expositiony" parts.

12. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

So... let's talk about the arc setup in the first few minutes.

It's sounding more and more like someone's found a hidden fatal flaw in the Constitution Class design (a security vulnerability in the computer, maybe?) and is exploiting it to the full. From thirteen ships (from the bulletin board in 'Embracing the Winds'), we're now down to five (counting the Enterprise) - four in as many episodes have fallen to 'unfortunate accidents' with 'no sign of foul play.' Klingons? Romulans? Both? We've seen neither in this series so far... and this sure sounds like the Romulans' style.

13. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

That may setup the next episode or so...

None the less - this was a very good episode. Yes, it's influenced by current events (refugees are NOT a new thing folks).

KennyB likes this.
  14. Red Shirt

Red Shirt Captain Captain

A fantastic episode I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The moral dilemmas are captivating, a great watch. Thanks to all the people at STC for a great fan film, you're appreciated!

15. Christopher Miles

Christopher Miles Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Came back to the board to compliment the production team (and I'd been rather tough in the past and had suggested the show was too "Next Gen").

Wow was this episode good. One of the best if not the best.

So many great moments... (Trying to be vague here)- I particularly liked the directing/sound/music when the young woman first sees color. To me, seemed like a nod/call back to "Is there in Truth no Beauty"

In any case, Feek (or any other Continues team member hangin' 'round here ) please pass along that this one was a hit out of the park. Great Job.

Search4, BoredShipCapt'n and KennyB like this.
  16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I only watched fifteen minutes, but two things immediately jumped out at me.

1. Star Trek would never have shown 23rd century Earth, even on the view screen, as it did at the start of this episode. The Star Trek Guide made that clear:
    2. The black and white gimmick wouldn't have happened in 1969-70. For one thing, RCA was in the business of selling color televisions - they didn't call NBC "the full color network" for nothing. For another, a little more than 60% of television households still had black and white sets in 1970. Most of the audience would have been totally confused by this conceit.

Star Trek Continues has always felt more like Star Trek: The Next Generation than Star Trek, and, at least in the first fifteen minutes of this installment, that sure seemed to still be the case.

17. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

While I see what you mean, I kinda put that in the "you are thinking way too hard" category. I really liked the use of color and lack of it.

mos6507 likes this.
  18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I agree although I do find it an interesting story idea. No question this story also had other elements that simply would never have been seen back in the day, but thats been true of this production from the get-go.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  19. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Seeing the Golden Gate outside the window doesn't really show you what Earth is like.........other than they are in San Fran and the bridge is still there. NBD for me.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. Just finished looking at Episode 9. Kudos to all involved, but especially to Kipleigh Brown and her script. That speech that Kirk gave toward the end of the episode was one of the best speeches from any Trek production I've heard period, and Vic M. delivered it with grace.

Right off, the humor scene at the beginning felt more like something tacked on at the end of a TOS episode and that made me curious about the placement. But after I completed the episode, it all made sense. And it was a nice little humorous start before going into a story addressing some heavy themes.

This wasn't my favorite episode of Continues, but it was the one that best captured the ideals and aspirations of the original series. At times the episode was not subtle at all in hammering home its messages, but neither was TOS at times. And everyone handled the dialogue and the gravity of the story so well. Episode 9 was the most relevant episode done so far with Continues (even though STC has also dealt with sex trafficking, gender equality, and child abuse, etc.), but Episode 9 was a big message episode that spoke to our times in a way that even the other episodes did not.

In this age of "PC" backlash or bemoaning "SJWs" , which I can see this episode inviting, I tip my hat that STC was willing to produce this episode and its themes that embraced a controversial issue and promoted tolerance and understanding in the best tradition of Trek. Though I did l think that some of the arguments were a bit too simplistic I still felt it was very in keeping with TOS and Trek for Continues to make them.

It seems like STC is ending just went its fully blossomed as the true continuation of TOS. Nothing against Discovery but STC has long had the look and feel of TOS, and now with Episode 9, it has the heart.