News Stay At Home With ULTRAMAN| Ultra Science Fiction Hour on YouTube

Episode #28 of "UltraSeven" presents the infamous Dinosaur Tank:

God, I hated that one. One of the most slapdash monsters ever. They were really phoning it in that week. I mean, aside from the absurdity of sticking the upper 2/3 of a dinosaur onto an otherwise ordinary tank, the way it's attached has got to be the most awkward way possible. I mean, why stick it onto the rear instead of above the center of mass?

Incidentally, I only discovered today that the actor who played Captain Murahoshi in Ultraman Decker, Masaya Kikawada, played Takeshi Hongo/Kamen Rider #1 in the gritty reboot movies in 2005-7. He was also the mentor figure Master Red in Ryusoulger. I'm so terrible at recognizing people. Well, it's been a few years since I saw those.

New Ultraman series announced -- it's Ultraman Blazar, not Blazer as previously reported.

Description from TokuNation:

https://news.tokunation.com/2023/04...er-announced-with-simulcast-english-dub-75352
This new series takes place in a world where Kaiju attacks on Earth are commonplace. A Global Guardian Force- GGF has been assembled to protect the people, with the elite group Special Kaiju Reaction Detachment (SKaRD) on call to fight the monsters. Under SKaRD’s control is the Special Armored Tactical Kaiju: Earth Garon an artificial giant creature with heavy weapons and attack strength.

The Captain of this new SKaRD is Gento Hiruma– an outgoing young man eager to protect his wife and young son. With the power of the Blazer Stone & Blazer Brace, Gento becomes the Giant of Light- Ultraman Blazer! Gento Hiruma is played by veteran tokusatsu actor Tomoya Warabino (best recognized as Heart from Kamen Rider Drive).

An English subtitled release AND an English dub release have been confirmed for this new Ultra chapter!

It looks like it might be going a bit darker and more serious this time, and they're clearly done with the anniversary pseudo-remakes. They're also breaking with tradition by having the Ultra host be the captain of the defense team rather than the newest member. That should certainly make it easier to maintain a secret identity, although the team might wonder where their leader keeps vanishing to.

Incidentally, "Blazar" is not just a weird Japanese spelling, but the name of a kind of active galactic nucleus, a variant of quasars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazar (Come to think of it, Ultraman Quasar would be a cool name.)

It occurs to me that "SKaRD" would've been a better name for an organization to pair with Ultraman Decker, given the card theme there. It looked to me like the gimmick this season is some kind of disks again, rather than cards.

Blazar's our second consecutive Ultraman to have an asymmetrical design, and it's a rather unusual look for an Ultra. I wonder if he'll have variant forms, maybe a mix-and-match of opposite sides like Kamen Rider W.

Well, the teaser trailer felt reminiscent of Ultraman Nexus. Certainly has this darker mood to it.

In the meantime, there's still the YT rerun of the more kid-oriented "Ultraman Taro", with episode #3 picking up from last week's cliffhanger:

Blazar Stone & Blazer Brace product demonstration.

The large circular light-up mechanism most closely resembles the Drive Driver, but the more complex color patterns have more in common with the Vision Driver. Bandai's putting everything they learned in every toyline to use.

Note: You will not be able to turn into a 100 ft alien that shoots beams out of his hands.

Well, the teaser trailer felt reminiscent of Ultraman Nexus. Certainly has this darker mood to it.

I didn't really get that sense, aside from the literal darkness of the night scenes and such. Maybe a bit grittier or more serious in tone than usual (maybe influenced by Shin Ultraman, I'm guessing, though I haven't seen that yet), but it's still in the kids' time slot, right? I doubt it'll go as dark as Nexus, and I certainly hope it doesn't, because that wasn't a very good show.

If anything, given that the defense team has its own robot kaiju, I'm reminded more of Ultraman Z. Indeed, it turns out that the main director and writer are veterans of Z, although the writer also worked on Trigger (not a glowing endorsement, unfortunately). I wonder if it's significant that Z is the first legacy Ultra featured in the toy video.

Blazar Stone & Blazer Brace product demonstration.

Oh, dear. I guess it was too much to hope for that they'd stop using the "new Ultra gets powers from older Ultras" gimmick.

I didn't really get that sense, aside from the literal darkness of the night scenes and such. Maybe a bit grittier or more serious in tone than usual (maybe influenced by Shin Ultraman, I'm guessing, though I haven't seen that yet), but it's still in the kids' time slot, right? I doubt it'll go as dark as Nexus, and I certainly hope it doesn't, because that wasn't a very good show.

Nexus was on at 7.30 AM on Saturdays. That said, what reminds me so much of Nexus are the designs and colors of the uniforms, the color-scheme of the Ultra (that, admittedly, looks more like Noa and the first form of The Next, especially the dark gray bits contrasting the silver), and the scenes going apparently for a more realistic and mature feel. The host looked a bit older than the usual early-20s, as well, which would fit with Ultra N. Reading the synopsis on Tokunation, the host, Gento, also has a wife and young son, so that is reminiscent of Maki from The Next.

If anything, given that the defense team has its own robot kaiju, I'm reminded more of Ultraman Z. Indeed, it turns out that the main director and writer are veterans of Z, although the writer also worked on Trigger (not a glowing endorsement, unfortunately). I wonder if it's significant that Z is the first legacy Ultra featured in the toy video.

Well, I didn't say it was a straight up remake, only that it felt like Nexus. Obviously doesn't mean there aren't other bits reminiscent of other shows. The mecha, btw, looks quite a bit like a more colorful Kiryu, doesn't it.

And since you mentioned "Ultraman Z", here's the dubbed episode #5:

The host looked a bit older than the usual early-20s, as well

Tomoya Warabino is 35.

Well, I didn't say it was a straight up remake, only that it felt like Nexus.

Of course I was talking about the tone and style. To me, "like Nexus" isn't about the designs or cinematography, but the storytelling approach, which didn't work for me. I felt the two weakest Heisei-era Japanese Ultra series were Nexus and Ultraseven X, both of the ones that tried to be adult and gritty and dark, which proves that isn't necessarily better. (And that kind of goes for Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy too, although sometimes it was very silly.)

And as far as the visual aspects go, Nexus was weak in that regard too, because its low budget meant that all the giant fights were on the same boring "Meta Field" set, so you didn't get the creative miniature landscapes that have usually been a highlight of the franchise. Although I'll grant that Nexus had a reasonably good design, and the music was pretty good.

I liked Nexus (and Seven X, too, btw), though I can certainly see how others may dislike it, as they really tried something different with the whole Ultra N concept. The Meta Field, I thought, was a narrative tool to explain why the Ultraman vs. kaiju fights were possible with the general public still being unaware of eithers existence. I'm not aware of any budget issues on that show, and I would be surprised if they had a lower budget even in the early episodes when they didn't know about low ratings, yet. Especially coming off of the highly popular Ultraman Cosmos, and Ultraman The Next doing well in theaters.

The timeslot today is also not as important as it was back then, since now Tsuburaya has its own streaming service in Japan, and international distribution deals (and YouTube, which seems to go very well, since they are planning to upload Blazar in Japanese with subtitles and an English dub simultaneously). So, even if Blazar should be put into a similar timeslot as Nexus (which did suffer in that slot which is usually reserved for kids' programming, but it did very well in a rerun in a late-night timeslot).

But, hey, I just gave my impression of the teaser trailer, it doesn't mean that much. But, seeing your strong reaction to even that little bit of comparison, your dislike for Nexus is quite evident. Which is okay, tastes are different and all.

Anyway, the English dub of "Ultraman Z" continued today with episode #6, guest-starring Ultraman Geed:

And "UltraSeven", which might be considered the original Ultra N Project, continues with episode #29:

Last edited:
The Meta Field, I thought, was a narrative tool to explain why the Ultraman vs. kaiju fights were possible with the general public still being unaware of eithers existence. I'm not aware of any budget issues on that show, and I would be surprised if they had a lower budget even in the early episodes when they didn't know about low ratings, yet. Especially coming off of the highly popular Ultraman Cosmos, and Ultraman The Next doing well in theaters.

From the Ultra Blog DX site's behind-the-scenes article:

https://ultrablogdx.wordpress.com/2020/05/08/ultraman-nexus-production-history/
Ultraman Nexus was a show that got cursed with an unfortunate streak of bad luck that caused the show to fail in a multitude of ways. This, of course, didn’t help the weakening financial state of Tsuburaya Productions. However, as I stated before in previous articles, the fall of Tsuburaya Productions was eventually going to happen, the chaos at the executive level was unavoidable.
When the show entered production, the executive chaos finally reached the creatives working on Nexus. The old spending habits of the Kazuo Tsuburaya era where a show had no real set budget per episode and an entire show could cost at least 52 million USD to over 100 million USD (the reports are very scattered and the claims on how much he was spending were extremely all over the place, one iconic example was when he spent 32 million USD on a single episode), wasn’t allowed anymore. Nexus got hit hard by a limit of around 0.9 million USD per episode, which if it was a full series would be around 46 million USD or less. No exceptions in spending would be allowed....

The budget cuts greatly affected how they would approach making Nexus a reality. In an instant, most of the options for practical effects greatly shrunk. The number of kaiju suits they could make got drastically reduced, there was a limit to how many sets and sound stages they could have, and they couldn’t film on location often due to not being able to rent places for long. As a workaround for this, they developed concepts like the metafield which would allow them to use one set repeatedly and reusing kaijus by making them stronger, run away more often, or have regenerative properties. Another workaround was the usage of CGI. They had always been planning to use CGI in Nexus to do more grand sequences and effects not possible by normal means, but under the strict budget, CGI had to replace multiple practical aspects of the show.

The timeslot today is also not as important as it was back then, since now Tsuburaya has its own streaming service in Japan, and international distribution deals (and YouTube, which seems to go very well, since they are planning to upload Blazar in Japanese with subtitles and an English dub simultaneously). So, even if Blazar should be put into a similar timeslot as Nexus (which did suffer in that slot which is usually reserved for kids' programming, but it did very well in a rerun in a late-night timeslot).

The timeslot is incidental -- I just meant to say there's no reason to assume this will be an exception to the usual storytelling approach for Ultra series in the way that Nexus was. There may be stylistic changes, but probably not to that extent.

In episode #4 of "Ultraman Taro", a bunch of assholes catch a gigantic turtle mother while she's laying eggs to open up a monster show, because that plan never goes wrong:
Side note: You'd think with giant turtles, the show makers would stir away from any Gamera comparison, but no, there are scenes of one flying in a rotating manner.

In episode #30 of "UltraSeven", the UltraGuard has to deal with an over-ambitious trainee:

And then there are the English dubs for "Ultraman Z" #7 and 8:

In episode #4 of "Ultraman Taro", a bunch of assholes catch a gigantic turtle mother while she's laying eggs to open up a monster show, because that plan never goes wrong:

Part one of a 2-parter, and a high point of the generally mediocre Taro, aside from the blatant Gamera knockoff.

This is about a week old, but here are a few more details about Ultraman Blazar, premiering July 8:

https://tokusatsunetwork.com/2023/04/ultraman-blazar-announced/

Some excerpts:

Ultraman Blazar brings several new additions to the Ultraman Franchise. For the first time, the character who becomes Ultraman is the captain of the defense team. He also has a wife and child. This is part of Ultraman Blazar’s series theme of communication, be it between human and Ultraman, soldiers and commanders, or parent and child.

Ultraman Blazar
A giant that came from M421, a blazar far away from Earth. His special move is the Spiral Burrade, a projectile beam attack in the form of a double-helical spear made from light.

They probably mean this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markarian_421

Sorry, guys, ain't got as much time as I used to, so I guess I'm just rounding up the uploaded episodes on a weekly basis now.

Taro #5

UltraSeven #31

Dubbed Z #9

Dubbed Z #10

I just finished episodes 7-8 of ULTRAMAN Final (i.e. season 3) on Netflix, and...

The female lead Rena gets her own Ultra suit, which is called Marie, based on Mother of Ultra. But her henshin sequence at the end of the episode is a blatant Sailor Moon homage, with the starry-textured faux-nudity, the pink ribbons spiraling around her limbs to form the costume, and even the trademark saluting pose at the end. I'm surprised they copied it so closely, considering it was from Toei and this is Tsuburaya. Also because such an outright in-joke to something so fanciful and elaborate seems incongruous in this show, which tends to play things dark and gritty.

I still think it's really weird how they approached the manga/anime. On the one hand, it posits that the original Ultraman happened and it's a direct sequel to it, with none of the other shows happening -- sort of like how Heisei Ultraseven did it, or like the Heisei and Millennium Godzilla reboot continuities that all branched off from the original film while disregarding all other previous films. And yet it also features alternate versions of the later Showa series protagonists and many of the aliens, reimagined in completely different ways. It's weird, the juxtaposition of the "original" Hayata and Ide and SSSP with utterly different versions of Dan Moroboshi, Hideki Go, Seiji Hokuto, and Kotaro Higashi. It's 1/5 sequel and 4/5 reboot, if you count all the series it references. (The manga included reboots of Leo & Astra too, but apparently they aren't in the anime.)

It's only appropriate this gets mentioned in the Ultraman thread.

Godzilla is now a combining mecha. Sure why not.

Godzilla is the chest/body piece
Kamen Rider is the head
Ultraman is the left arm
Evangelion is the right arm

They made a physical suit and are releasing a deluxe figure. What are they cooking up?

I want to joke that maybe that this is a hint that they're making a Sentai movie but instead of Shin Gorenger it's going to be Shin Battle Fever J.

Back