Status of McFarlane DSC Action Figures?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Roald, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Jadeb

Jadeb Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

McFarlane recently announced that they've picked up three pretty major licenses: Harry Potter, Mortal Combat and DC (Batman, Superman, etc.). Those seem like big wins that could further distract the company from Trek stuff, which already doesn't seem like much of a priority.

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do so love random statements about the state of a fandom that says nothing about said fandom except for the state of mind of the person who made the statement, who considers him/herself the whole representation of said fandom.

Or something along those lines I guess. :)

3. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek toys have been a mess for years, it's not limited to Discovery - half of the TOS/Berman stuff that gets announced never materializes either.

Seems like the only Trek things that get reliably released are the Anovos high end items, Eaglemoss ships, QMx badges and what seems to be an endless stream of random kitschy crap.

I'd guess the problem is a combination of factors, including: an older skewing fanbase, too many licensors selling similar things, apparently minimal big box retailer interest, etc.

4. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Star Wars merchandise failing is just a result of how mediocre the new films and characters were received by the demographics who generally buy this stuff.

Marvel MCU merchandise, especially Marvel Legends, is doing quite well. Black Panther merchandise sold out so quickly that they had to put together an entirely new BP toy wave nearly a year after the film came out to satisfy consumer interest.

I'm not surprised McFarlane is getting cold feed about the Discovery line. Who the hell would want Michael Burnham or L'Rell merchandise? lol. Aside from a few hardcore fans, that stuff has the potential to be discount bin peg-warmers like Rose Tico toys.

Glad McFarlane got DC. That will probably kill the Star Trek line.

5. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, let's exult in there being less new Trek merch.

Yay?