Status of McFarlane DSC Action Figures & Toys?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Roald, Feb 21, 2019.

1. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Hasbro basically did the same thing. Obtained the master Trek toy license, everyone got all excited, then they only released Lego knock-offs and those tiny rubbery figurines that were all the rage with kids for about six months.

I'd say the problem is multi-fold: 1) the toy-buying segment of Trek fans is obviously not very large; 2)we've lost ToysRUs, where a lot of these lower volume, more collector oriented lines would be sold; 3) bigger box stores like Walmart and Target realize #1 above and are probably gunshy placing orders after being stuck clearancing the crappy 2009 toys; and 4) CBS licences too broadly, there is really no difference between the Mcfarlane figures and the DST ones, hard to do well when your competitors are allowed to sell what are essentially the same niche products.

Serveaux and fireproof78 like this.
  2. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Don’t forget that Discovery is now “adult” and confined to a niche streaming service that reaches a tiny percentage of the U.S. population. That can’t make the toy potential look very appealing to mainstream retailers.

BillJ and Serveaux like this.
  3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah. As others have pointed out, All Access is selling their ad time to push Old People products.

Hiring young actors to front the show is not fooling too many people - this is "your father's Star Trek," albeit a little bit dumbed down.

BillJ likes this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't know if its any "dumber" than its collective predecessors? I tend to think TOS and early-TNG get a lot of slack because they were inventing the wheel as they went. Though I am disappointed that Discovery isn't smarter than what came before, especially with so many really great shows that are tightly plotted with great dialogue on now.

Though I'm hopeful that with a new showrunner, that Discovery finds its footing.

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I do, and yeah...it is.

6. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Green 34
    Wiseman 33
    Mount 46
    Rapp 47
    Isaacs 56
    Yeoh 56
    Jones 59

Unless your pretty old, this cast ain't that "young".

STEPhon IT, XCV330 and 137th Gebirg like this.
  7. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

My suspicion on all this is that that whatever better toy deal might be in the worka is going to wait, and should wait, on the Nick cartoon. That's their future market, and that show should have the potential broadest reach.

KennyB likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not. Despite all the arguments to the contrary, there are plenty of examples of Star Trek being dumb, super serious, over the top, melodramatic and ridiculous. It has great stories, and terrible ones and all the ones in between.

DSC is no better (and no worse) than other past Treks. Enjoyability will vary from person to person, but let's not pretend that somehow Star Trek was this incredible, unassailable, masterpiece before Abrams Trek and Discovery came along.
    Which is why I see all this "Walking Dead" merchandise in the toy aisle when it was at its zenith?

[​IMG]

Who was this meant for? Adults?

9. BillJ

I do think the original was, to some degree, a masterpiece. A flawed masterpiece, but one nonetheless. That is why we continue to talk about it so fervently and it is an ongoing entertainment concern fifty-five years after "The Cage".

Kor and CaptainMurdock like this.
  10. fireproof78

The key word is "unassailable." I absolutely agree that TOS was a masterpiece in terms of uniqueness and concepts, acting and design.

But, I'll not pretend it was perfect, nor do I think that DSC has somehow violated that legacy.

BillJ likes this.
  11. BillJ

Definitely not perfect. :eek:

12. fireproof78

And I won't demand DSC to be so in order to live up to some magical standard that is Star Trek. It's Star Trek, dumb science and all :D

137th Gebirg likes this.
  13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember it was similar with all those kids' toys for "Terminator 2."

Kor

14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

There were RoboCop toys. You could put caps, like for cap guns, in them and they’d shoot guns that made popping sounds.

There may have been a toy based on the guy who gets melted by the toxic waste, but I could be misremembering.
    Aliens too.

Although this was supposed to get an animated series until some exec decided a cartoon about nightmare fuel was a bad idea.

Although I had seen both movies at least by age 6 because my dad wanted to see them and didn’t really have any concerns over what’s appropriate for children. It did give me some interesting tastes in movies though.

15. fireproof78

Saw Alien at 8 years old. Still avoid it to this day and cannot stand it to this day.

Also, what about all the Jurassic Park toys?

16. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Jurrasic Park was PG13, so maybe a bit different situation.

Plus, kids love dinosaurs.

17. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Jurassic Park was practically marketed to kids. My parents took my brothers and I to see it and I was 8. It’s full of wonder, magic and there are a few scary bits but they aren’t too scary and it certainly isn’t gory.

The Dennis Nedry having removable arms was fucked up though.

fireproof78 likes this.
  18. fireproof78

Well, Star Wars has a burned Anakin toy so there is that.

Also, I recalled another one- "Starship Troopers." That is not a series for kids (no, it isn't) but a nice toy line came just the same.

http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2010/04/prepare-to-drop.html

Awesome Possum likes this.
  19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

All the ones I've seen (and the two I bought) have looked great.