Starting to Think...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Vger23, Apr 29, 2017.

1. a thousand-yard stare

a thousand-yard stare Lieutenant Red Shirt

The point is this is a de facto reboot and the Klingons are the most recognisable aliens in the 'Trekverse'; thanks to B&B, possibly moreso than the Vulcans.
    To leave them out would be like Superman without Lex Luthor or Batman without the Joker
    For an audience being introduced to 'Trek' the inclusion of these iconic foes is a must - and after all, a new audience is what the company is aiming for.

While I understand the process involved do I want to see Klingons?
    Not really.
    Will I watch this?
    My interest was low to begin with...
    :shrug:

Brainsucker likes this.
  2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Totally agreed. Set in a timeline before TOS I would expect them to have Vulcans and maybe Klingons but the decision to go with a serialized story over 13 episodes most likely will draw from a large conflict that has ups and downs hence an enemy of sorts that they are always fighting like in The Transformers (1984-1987) cartoons the Autobots are always fighting the Decepticons.... Star Wars has politics and a rebellion. Star Trek has the United Federation of Planets but has to have a major enemy...
    I'd much rather have exploration but unfortunately exploration is a planet-of-the-week type of episodic rather than a serialized story with many of the same characters over 13 episodes. Different type of storytelling. I wonder if season 2 of DSC will have some episodic planet-of-the-week story arcs after feedback from the fans?

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm curious to see how much of a "reboot" Discovery will be (if at all). I'm hoping that is does stay in line with the Prime universe. Had it been in the NuTrek reality I doubt I'd give it much attention.

mos6507 likes this.
  4. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek is a very large universe. It's not just space exploration. We have all sorts of events and conflicts, in addition to others events that were mentioned during the dozens of episodes. Klingons are present in TOS, STNG, DS9. They are the closest enemies of the Federation. They can not be ignored. And considering the time of the series, Gorns, Tholians are little known and the Romulans only appeared in "Balance of Terror". I believe they are telling a specific story that brought changes to the Federation and Klingons.
    We have the Federation, Klingons, two ships, Mudd, Sarek and everything else is just some wild speculation.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

But we're talking about DSC here. It's already been established that it's going to be a political allegory (the STVI reference), and it's full of Klingons, so I don't see lots of space exploration in a 13 episode story arc about that.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No idea what the series will be about.

Mad Jack Wolfe, somebuddyX and BillJ like this.
  7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

For which I will be duly thankful. It's been done to death.

Political Trek appeals to me. For anyone familiar with Treklit, my favourite novel is Articles of the Federation.

Jarvisimo and MadeIndescribable like this.
  8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The planet-of-the-week format worked fine for TOS. TNG simply copied that formula, but also added some mild story arcs. DS9 had very little planet-of-the-weeks and was all about story arcs. But then both VOY and ENT went right back to the planet-of-the-week stuff, and by that time the formula was getting old and stale. The producers even knew this; that's why by ENT's third season they realized that they needed to do something different, hence the Xindi arc, and then the mini-story arc season 4. But by then it was too late.

I predict we're never going to see anything like that again in future Trek productions.

Danoz and Brainsucker like this.
  9. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not just Trek, TV drama as a whole has adopted serialised arcs over episodic storytelling.

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

That's fan speculation. There hasn't been official word about it. I don't know what it's about exactly. None of us do. You might be right. My point is that given what we know, exploration is not ruled out.

Mr Awe

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose that means the Borg won't be far behind.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was never going to be a Klingon war in the movies. The second comic story arc after STID took care of all the Klingon stuff STID set up. If Orci had any intention of setting that up in his movie, he would never have allowed IDW to do that storyline.
    It's specifically so they can be free to do their own thing without having to coordinate with the movies and be in lockstep with them.
    How is this "thanks to B&B?" Berman had very little to do with Klingons, Braga even less. Arguably the most Klingon heavy episode both of them were involved with is probably Broken Bow.

13. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That sucks. I love how transmedia narratives are becoming more of a thing, but hate it when it seems like its just being used as a marketing ploy to sell more comics/books/etc.

Well, that does make sense at least.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It was more of a case that the comics were just dumping grounds for stuff that was never going to be in the movies anyway. In a few cases, they explained some stuff that was glossed over in the movies (such as why the Enterprise was carrying around a merchant ship in Into Darkness, or why Khan didn't look like a Sikh anymore).

15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Many here predicted Trek would never come back to TV using the same cocky "this is how showbiz works now, people" logic like you're slinging now. So be careful about being too self-assured with those predictions.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'll "sling" whatever I damn well like, thank you. And we'll see in 2024 when DSC premieres, won't we?

17. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was Ron D Moore that loved him some Klingon Klaptrap. But we can't blame him for anything as he is a saint. 'B&B' are the easiest of easy targets.

Anyway, my guess - it's only a guess people, calm down - is that the Federation will painted as a Westeros in Space. Trying to capture the GoT magic with Trek tropes. Y'know, conspiracies and war, and nasty people, and scary people, and grumpy people, and no humour and so on.

18. a thousand-yard stare

a thousand-yard stare Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah...
    Criticise RDM and you might as well hang a placard around your own neck: HERETIC!
    ('Sides, added opprobrium for B&B won't substantially increase their already considerable burdens)

That sounds like a representative cross-section of the ST fanbase. Plenty for them to relate to...
    :rommie:

(edited for too much 'add'ing)

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  19. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I love some space politics. I always enjoy those scenes in Trek like Operation Retrieve but I'm sure they're not going to be the focus for Discovery. We may not get space adventure anomaly of the week for this show but hopefully it does whatever it does well enough to just enjoy it.

20. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I do hope that they show some complexity in the Federation, it's huge with more than just 'everyone holding hands' potential. Though I doubt there's no humour and it'll all be doom and gloom with comments so far.