Spoilers Starship Design in Star Trek: Picard

I don’t think Legacy will happen, to be honest. Considering we’re in the era of streaming compression and how expensive shooting in LA is, it seems unlikely to happen.

If anything I feel it'll be done as one of the Paramount+ movies. That way the fans get what they want, but the studio doesn't have to commit to a full, expensive series.

Fan: With the crew of the Titan-A earning the respect of fans and critics alike, how hard was it to rename her during finale?
Matalas: Not hard. In our mind, we were writing the origin story of the next Enterprise and that the Titan name would live on in a proper new Luna Class ship. The Titan-B. Hopefully glimpsed in some future show.... We loved the idea that we were watching the origin story of the new Enterprise.
https://www.reddit.com/r/television...rry_matalas_showrunner_and_executive/jh644ye/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Picard/comments/12u9c26/im_terry_matalas_showrunner_and_executive/jh6atas/
So Titan and Titan B are both Luna class ?
But I thought Titan sort of A was an upgrade of Luna class.

Every day now there seems to be "we wanted to do this" "we meant this" or filling in blanks on Twitter from Matalas. Maybe he should just stick to fan fiction on Reddit.

I don’t think Legacy will happen, to be honest. Considering we’re in the era of streaming compression and how expensive shooting in LA is, it seems unlikely to happen.
Shooting in LA I seem to remember was to accommodate Patrick Stewart, depending on how much effort it would be to move the sets etc (I would assume by now they have been long taken down) to somewhere more cost effective to film - then it just depends on whether the cast and crew would be willing to shoot in that location but thats not abnormal for actors at least.

Maybe the thing that happened to the Enterprise-E was that it got renamed to Voyager-A because Worf forgot to file some paperwork.

I'm sure we'd all be okay with that, right?

Well for the Titan, not talking about Canon.
I'm talking about legacy and love from the fandom. for a very long time there were only books from 2005 to Discovery. and there was a Titan series that lasted for 12 years and 10+ books. Even a design contest for the ship.
It was a great series of books. and a good amount of people read them.

Akin to the cartoons from star wars, yes its not live action, yes only a small percentage of the fans watched them. But they are beloved.

I personally, while I like the new design, so props to Bill, i was having a conception when it was revealed and wasn't the Luna class. I was PISSED. I was looking forward to the Luna class being front and center. I love the luna design. and Terry's flipant remark of oh, theres a B and its a Luna class again.. Grrr. anyways.

So, in the end, am saying that there is a love and legacy for the titan in the fandom. Yes almighty revered cannon doesn't have much, but thats not end all be all for fans.

Well for the Titan, not talking about Canon.
I'm talking about legacy and love from the fandom. for a very long time there were only books from 2005 to Discovery. and there was a Titan series that lasted for 12 years and 10+ books. Even a design contest for the ship.
It was a great series of books. and a good amount of people read them.

Akin to the cartoons from star wars, yes its not live action, yes only a small percentage of the fans watched them. But they are beloved.

I personally, while I like the new design, so props to Bill, i was having a conception when it was revealed and wasn't the Luna class. I was PISSED. I was looking forward to the Luna class being front and center. I love the luna design. and Terry's flipant remark of oh, theres a B and its a Luna class again.. Grrr. anyways.

So, in the end, am saying that there is a love and legacy for the titan in the fandom. Yes almighty revered cannon doesn't have much, but thats not end all be all for fans.

A very tiny percentage of Star Trek fans read the novels, just like a very tiny percentage of fans play STO. To cater to that small minority is not logical, especially considering that the novelverse was already contradicted with the first episode of PIC.

Of course, that’s what they did anyway, so what do I know?

So Titan and Titan B are both Luna class ?
But I thought Titan sort of A was an upgrade of Luna class.

Every day now there seems to be "we wanted to do this" "we meant this" or filling in blanks on Twitter from Matalas. Maybe he should just stick to fan fiction on Reddit.
Constitution III is a new class. The preceding Titan was badly damaged and stripped for parts, some of which got reused in the construction of the Titan-A. Luna class in general is still in active use.

The reality is that there was no way they were going to spend a bunch of time going over all this nerd minutia during the runtime of the season, and we're lucky that Matalas is so open to responding to fans about what kinds of thoughts he had in his head while making it. Twitter doesn't equal canon but in the absence of hard canon, the insight from the creatives is still appreciated.

Shooting in LA I seem to remember was to accommodate Patrick Stewart, depending on how much effort it would be to move the sets etc (I would assume by now they have been long taken down) to somewhere more cost effective to film - then it just depends on whether the cast and crew would be willing to shoot in that location but thats not abnormal for actors at least.
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Titan sets were shipped to Toronto where all other Trek production is happening.

Constitution III is a new class. The preceding Titan was badly damaged and stripped for parts, some of which got reused in the construction of the Titan-A. Luna class in general is still in active use.

The reality is that there was no way they were going to spend a bunch of time going over all this nerd minutia during the runtime of the season, and we're lucky that Matalas is so open to responding to fans about what kinds of thoughts he had in his head while making it. Twitter doesn't equal canon but in the absence of hard canon, the insight from the creatives is still appreciated.
Sounds to me like he is making up a lot of this stuff after the facts to fill plot holes.

Just because something wasn’t spelled out in absolute minutia level detail doesn’t make it a plot hole.

Time is money and this show is expensive, sometimes things just have to be left unsaid and explained in ways that doesn’t cost as much as screen time.

What exactly is he supposed to do if he doesn’t have the budget for shit?

Back