Spoilers Starship Design in Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by pst, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Not generally, but they do feature a significant number of scenes that were either cut from the final version or altered significantly, like Baze's dialogue seemingly to imply he was a former clone trooper or stormtrooper who was actively fighting the Empire. And perhaps the most famous altered scene - Jyn seemingly facing off with a TIE fighter on the tower - was a deliberate lie on the part of the director, as he himself finally admitted. The phantom TIE was never intended to be in the final film and only used for the trailer, despite it initially being teased by the production staff as one of the cut elements. And it's too bad really, because it would have been awesome. ;)

fireproof78 likes this.
  2. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

The ship appears to be longer than the enterprise but not taller

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Eh? I never got that impression from the trailers. Also he can’t be a clone trooper.

6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

You might be right, and perhaps our mileage differs a bit. He does wear armor reminiscent of the stormtroopers and specifically says "I fight the Empire now" in the trailer, though I'm not sure that line actually occurs in the final cut. It's been a while since I've seen the movie so I might be misremembering. :D IIRC, Wookiepedia describes Baze as being with the Guardians of the Whills but not a member of the Old Republic or Imperial military.

It's naturally possible that Baze's line wasn't meant to give the impression he served in such a role, but I admit that's how I initially interpreted the trailers and many others probably assumed so too. :)

7. ExtremeSail

ExtremeSail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

8. fireproof78

9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it's time to acknowledge that 300m is kinda short for the Enterprise. 450m seems more appropriate, so that puts the Titan in line with those dimensions.

10. Airmandan

Airmandan Commander Red Shirt

Maybe it's just me, but if they decreased the beak over the deflector a bit that would probably improve the profile significantly. Ass end would be alright without the impulse engines on the saucer module and upper neck assembly.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  11. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Just a change of deck height to 4 meters.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  12. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this solves a lot of problems with the rec deck, hanger bay, engineering and torpedo bays. The docking ports are a bit of an issue but not massively so.

But I'm a fan of a 700m Excelsior so ignore me. ;)

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Terry did confirm the Shangri-La Class USS Titan will show up in the show, probably as a conference room model.

I also completely forgot until Dave Blass mentioned it in a recent interview, there is an unused Rick Sternbach design coming to Season 3. I wonder which one, he has done a lot.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  14. Airmandan

Airmandan Commander Red Shirt

Nice that they’re getting more ship varieties. Sounds like they definitely listened to the criticism from season 1 and even season 2.

Enterprise1701 and Tomalak like this.
  15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

16. fireproof78

Season 1 was rushed and they said as much. No criticism was needed for them to change.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Dave Blass said it was because of the criticism.

18. fireproof78

Ugh...well, it gave us a decent looking ship in some of the newer designs so I won't be annoyed...too much.

19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spared no expense with that redress. Can hardly discern one from the other. ;)

20. fireproof78

Proud Trek tradition continues on in to the future.