Starship design history in light of Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Nov 18, 2017.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Nice. Really liking this one.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm really interested on what BTS information will be in the booklet.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yep, you’re right. Forgot about the Intrepid, and she came first, both temporally and cinematically.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  4. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

Defo influenced with the abandoned factory shooting location, though. It definitely brought to mind the Kelvinprise engineering areas.

saddestmoon and 137th Gebirg like this.
  5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder why the engines are upside down.

I mean, the lip at the nacelle front end is pretty pronounced and is always on top on the other ships, including the four-nacellers. Installing it this way around must have been a conscious choice. Was it the saucer that was originally the other way round, and this was changed at the last minute?

(Or are we actually seeing the intended top of the ship here, and the only thing that was changed was where the top pennant paint would go?)

Timo Saloniemi

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  6. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does look upside down to me.

I would prefer to see the ship inverted.

7. Timo

The fun thing is, since this bottom was never ever seen, we can always claim it featured appropriate top paint and even a pronounced bridge module, and the ship indeed was upside down on that rock. With artificial gravity and local anomalies and whatnot, there's no telling which way was up anyway (and obviously the exteral down wasn't towards the floor, since the floor was at an acute angle with the ground truth when our heroes approached the ship!).

The Discovery bridge display graphic of the ship shows the orientation where the nacelle lips are down, FWIW. Might not mean much.

The two separate boxy parts of the hull leave a nice trench for shooting photon torpedoes out of that pod! Perhaps this is what "medical frigate" means: the boxes are new, and perhaps stretch the midhull, but the ship is "originally" a combatant and all the nasty bits are still present and functional?

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  8. Timo

...Ah, seems I got it wrong: the Europa actually has the nacelle lips down on the lower pair of engines after all. The Buran doesn't, though.

Here's a fun coincidence: a noncanon ship in the same registry range, essentially a "pre-refit" Hiawatha without the optional-extra boxes, torpedo roll bar or hull stretch, and with "original" round shapes. :p

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Fortune

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    DaveyNY likes this.
  9. 137th Gebirg

It might have been a war-deployed Q-ship all along.

Although that's not very Starfleet...

10. Tuskin38

Eaves doesn’t have Discovery season 2 listed on his site, but he does have Picard, so I think my theory was right
    http://www.johneavesart.com/about-me

I wonder who designed the D7 then.

11. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

new trailer for the short trek "the trouble with edward" is giving us our first look at a magee class ship outside of the battle of the binary stars:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Midquest, saddestmoon, Pindar and 5 others like this.
  12. Timo

One USS Cabot, apparently. I wonder if we can see the registry?

Finally they're making actual use of the ships created for the DSC pilot. I really wonder why nothing like this ever was done during the first season, whenever the storyline desperately required showing Cornwell arriving in a ship, say. Were all the models utter crap originally? They didn't seem to be, not the T'Plana-Hath one at least...

It's also the first real chance to see whether the "official" sizes for these ships work in practice. If anything, the Cabot looks biger than originally, what with both the window rows on the saucer edge fully lit. Is that all right for this role?

Timo Saloniemi

Longinus and pst like this.
  13. Tuskin38

The Mudd short trek used a Hoover class

14. 137th Gebirg

It's entirely possible all the background ships we saw were way too low-poly and/or underdetailed for hi-def up-close use.

New season, with a new budget, and when a script calls for a ship to be shown, they can take any number of the old meshes and fancy them up for a fraction of the cost that it took to build the original models.

DEWLine, Rahul, Gonzo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tuskin38

The models on eaglemoss’s covers are the show used ones, so you could judge the quality from those

Gonzo and 137th Gebirg like this.
  16. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

they're obviously reusing the discovery (aka shenzhou, aka enterprise, aka de milo) sets again, but i'm appreciating the repaint. looks like her interior is prominently light blue, rather than bronze like discovery or red-orange like the enterprise. keep them coming short treks.

17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's really strange that They don't post the Short Trek Trailers on All Access.
    :wtf:

cooleddie74 likes this.
  18. Gonzo

Gonzo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Magee class is nice and compact, its a pretty efficient shape although having the nacelles run through the main hull must limit the available internal volume (they do mitigate this by adding decks on top and below the nacelles though), it certainly makes the ship more robust and the extra protection for the nacelles doesnt hurt.

If its the same design as some of the other pictures we have seen the nacelles stretch the entire length of the ship (was hoping for hangars at the front but its only 200m long), there are at least 2 full decks on the saucer edge but I think it could be double that if the design matches some of the drawings and pictures that can be found online, its hard to to be sure based on the clip that was released.

Looks to me like a solid precursor to the Oberth class, its big enough for scouting and surveying duties at least.

Would like to see some detailed plans of the Discovery ships, we may never get them though.

pst likes this.
  19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Bottom center?
    2019-10-08_18-08-58.jpg

DaveyNY and pst like this.
  20. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh...
    That wasn't there earlier this morning when I went looking for it.
    :alienblush: