Starship design history in light of Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Daniels said that was the future the sphere builders saw, which is why they tried to change history to prevent it.

There is nothing in the dialogue to suggest this.

The sphere builders only appeared to be in the Delphic expanse because of the Federation threat.

They even gave the Xindi 26th century tech.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

But it was still an alternate future, because it was the result of the Expanse expanding from the 22nd century onwards, something it absolutely did not do in ENT, DSC, TOS, TAS, the TOS films, TNG, DS9, VOY, and the TNG films which make up the prime universe.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course there is. The Delphic Expanse fills the quadrant in the future Archer was shown. It is then destroyed in "Zero Hour", rendering that future timeline invalid.

saddestmoon likes this.
  4. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

I can't get the direct quote anymore, as it was before the Great Eaves Facebook Reboot of 2018. So lacking the direct quote, I can solidly say it was at least clearly implied, but I can't swear that it was outright stated. :shrug:

5. Tuskin38

I know I posted theorizing that was the case around the same time Eaves was saying stuff on Facebook.

6. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    But it doesn't invalidate the Enterprise-J still being built by then.
    :cool:

7. F. King Daniel

Sure, there may be an Enterprise-J but with the 400 years being very different, it may be unrecognisable. Plus, if we ever saw it, it would be a product of the Discovery people and thus it would look completely different anyway just because:lol:

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Although if Star Trek 2009 proved anything it's that if the flow of history is meant to give us a certain ship and crew it'll find a way to do so even if the final products look slightly different. There'll probably be a monstrously-sized Enterprise-J even if the one in the "corrected" timeline has, say, blue warp nacelles and lots of shouting Vulcans.

:p

137th Gebirg likes this.
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As well as the Mirror Universe since Kirk took command of the Enterprise by assassinating Pike in that Universe.

Jackson_Roykirk likes this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

In the universe we know, they built 6 Enterprises in, what, 127 years? Then only four more (assuming no "I" in the next 273 years with an centuries long war with the Sphere Builders™? They must have skipped a few decades here and there :D

11. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the mirror counterparts of the prime crew all happened to become the crew of the mirror ship. What a coincidence in an otherwise divergent timeline! ;) And both ships' overall missions -- which one has to assume were very different -- had them simultaneously visiting the Halkans; same landing party even, beaming up at the same moment.

As the saying goes, the more things change, the more they stay the same. That must be equally true for things that happen in the mirror universe. :)

fireproof78 and Tuskin38 like this.
  12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assuming the use of the definite article is appropriate, that is.

For all we know, there are infinite universes (many episodes insist on this, after all), and the Mirror thing is a selection process based on human psyche (this being the principal observable difference, after all) and selecting the universe where the swicharoo-bound heroes will find their specific counterparts, or the lacunae left by them (this is what we observe, after all). So Lorca finds the Mirror Lorcaverse and drags others with him, Kirk finds the Mirror Kirkverse, Sisko the Mirror Siskoverse, etc. And any similarities between the 'verses are largely coincidental.

Timo Saloniemi

13. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it was a tremendous error to let John Eaves design anything other than alien starships, because - in the Star Trek universe - his underlying artistic style shines through more readily and coheres as alien better than human/Federation. A fan artist that I would compare Eaves to would be our own Atolm. Even though he does try his hand at human/Federation starships from time to time, if i were making my own fan film, he'd be my first choice to design alien ships for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Serveaux likes this.
  14. cooleddie74

Well, it did take Starfleet 84 years between the decommissioning of the NX-01 at the birth of the Federation and the commissioning of the NCC-1701. You'd think a starship with the legendary track record of Jonathan Archer's vessel would have another ship named after it sooner than that, but...hey. Who am I to judge Starfleet's starship naming conventions? ;)

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  15. Tuskin38

So according to the Season 1 special features, the Sun in the middle of the ISS Charon was not an idea from the writers. It was part of the Charon’s design from the start, and the writers/producers liked it so much they incorporated it into the story by turning it into Mycelium.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Here’s my head-canon for that: after the NX-01 was decommissioned and the Federation and Fed-Starfleet was formed, there were actually several starships named Enterprise constructed in that 84 year period, but they were under the auspices of UESPA, not Starfleet. By the time of TOS, the NCC-1701 had just carried over into Starfleet usage, and UESPA was either disbanded or dissolved into Starfleet fully.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  17. cooleddie74

That, or Enterprise was so unique or such a controversial starship with some cultures that joined the Federation that someone in Starfleet Command vetoed the idea of having another Enterprise for decades. "Enterprise is such a lofty name for any other starship to live up to, why bother? Let's stick to using other names for now."

After all those historic first contacts and literally saving Earth from destruction - both from the Xindi and then the Romulans - Enterprise was a legendary vessel with a reputation no other ship with the same name could likely live up to. Thus it took several more generations for Starfleet to have the guts and willpower to name another starship after Archer's and then April, Pike and Kirk became such legendary commanders with even more impressive records so the idea of another Enterprise after the NCC-1701 was destroyed was a no-brainer.

"Hey, we were probably going to build another Enterprise after this one anyways. Admiral Kirk just saved Earth from the Whale Probe, let's just rechristen the Yorktown the Enterprise NCC-1701-A!"

Ronald Held likes this.
  18. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No way. This would be a complete insult to the USS Yorktown, her Captain, and its own illustrious history; because we didn't see it doesn't mean that ship didn't have one. Also, by that time during the TOS movie verse, Starfleet is making space vessels as fast as airplanes; there's no way that organization would rechristen the Yorktown as if they're a Trekfanatic.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That would imply that for 84 years, no other Starfleet vessel had the same experiences that the NX-01 had, and therefore, was not as “special.” I find that hard to believe.

20. F. King Daniel

I am sure they will at some point retcon another new Enterprise into the continuity (NCC-701, probably), post-NX and pre-TOS. And superfans will bend over backwards to prove that no continuity has been violated while the rest of us just roll our eyes...

cooleddie74, Kemaiku and WinstonSmith like this.