Stargate Universe Rewatch: Now with teacake

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I remember reading in an interview or mallozzis blog, forget which sorry, that the pregnancy plotline was in the works before Alaine Huffman fell pregnant but intended for a different character. When Alaina shared her happy news they simply switched the pregancy plot to TJ. Its never been mentioned who the plot was originally intended for but i have always strongly suspected that it was Vanessa James especially since people grumbled about how TJ and Youngs affair had been implied to finish a while ago but for her due date to be when it was they had to have been having an intimate encounter very very recent to arriving on Destiny whereas James and Scott were in a closet together in the opening episode which would have lined up properly with the babys due date.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh boy so we really missed out on extra James :(

3. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, the actress is already a big busted anime character made manifest. Adding some extra padding to her would make her so big that reality would warp and let out some Eldritch beings :rommie:

4. teacake

I don't think she's cute enough to be an anime character, which is why I like her. She has a manly face, very charming.

HOWEVER. Scott is just a big meh boy to me and his offspring are of little interest. So the baby would have to turn out not to be his any more. As in something alien took over the blastocyst and converted it into itself. Perhaps the alien bugs from Air and Water, maybe she breathed one in.

5. bullethead

I like her face too (honestly, what is there NOT to like?). It's just that her bust is so absurdly huge that if it wasn't for her Amazonian build, she would look like some of the more demented anime character designs.

Yeah, I wished he kicked the bucket back in Air, during those flashbacks that framed him as a massive dick for not learning anything from knocking up a girl.

6. teacake

Earth: I enjoyed all the machinations in this one. Still unclear as to why the govco is in such a hurry to get them back with such risks taken, though I'm going to assume it's a political bonus the president wants. I like how Young trusts Rush more than Telford and govco but he still doesn't trust him :lol:

Telford is absolutely repulsive to me.

The scene at the end where Young's ex opens the door to Telford is that Young? Because he seems to hold himself with that hovering unsureness Young has. Or is it Telford pursuing that brief bit of booty he had when the stones switched out? Since they always show the real person and not the body being used I'm going to assume the latter.

But just look at him, he has a Young face on.. he actually looks less repulsive than usual.

[​IMG]

IS HE IMPERSONATING YOUNG?! Yeah that is a huge stretch since the ex would surely know it just by conversation.

The continuing drama of Eli's Adventures in the Friendzone was kind of useless chatter here. And I couldn't help but wonder about the driving, wouldn't it make more sense if you were switched to never drive? If you switch abruptly back there could be an accident.

Oh and you are all so lucky this is my second time watching this as you are spared my OMG ICK rants about the stone sex. I am now used to stone sex, in fact I welcome it.

:guffaw:

Here's a pretty pic of Greer who has great presence in all his scenes.

[​IMG]

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My understanding is at the end that is actually Telford visiting Young's wife, and he's honest about who he is. Indeed, by the next time we see them we find out Telford and Mrs. Young have struck up a friendship.

It's the IOA, they're always reckless with no regard to Our Heroes' safety and wellbeing.

8. teacake

BUT.. it's a little loaded.

9. teacake

Time: Well Eli you finally got your big scene from Alien you've been babbling about every time there's dangerous shit around.

[​IMG]

I thought this was well done, dramatic and keeps you sucked in to see what the heck is going on. I liked how Rush totally freezes Eli out when Eli is trying to get him to name his top 5 Desert Island movies but then quotes Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid when he leaps through the gate not knowing what will happen.

10. bullethead

You know what I hated about this info? All the character bonding and interaction doesn't matter because it never happens, which sets the mold for more than a few SGU episodes.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Earth was a Pretty decent episode. Good use of the Stones. Enjoyed Eli with his mom

Time, I give it points for trying to be artsy. I'm not the biggest fan of SGU's non-linear story-telling. The Pilot was far more cobfusing then it needed to, and we see the same kind of choices made here. I was good with the Flashbacks in LOST and also in Once Upon a Time as well, but, so far in SGU the way they edit the Flashbacks in the Pilot and the roundabout in Time, you have to work much harder as a viewer than you should have to, to follow the plot. And yea, it's a shame they wasted all that bonding in this episode because it never happened. The show needs these kind of moments

12. The Wormhole

I know it's one of SGU's more highly-regarded episodes, but I really couldn't stand Time. Again, like everyone else has said it's just a reset button. And I don't particularly enjoy having the reset button pushed off-screen, between episodes at that. But whatever, everyone seems to think it's some ballsy way to assume the audience is intelligent or something.

13. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I agree actually. A lot of people loved Time, even those that perhaps didn't think much of SGU, but other than some fleshing out of the characters the episode doesn't actually do much.

14. teacake

Life: Yes life does suck, though I would enjoy it sucking a lot more if back home wasn't a part of it. Give Scott a kid with James that he loses somehow, give Young someone to punch on the ship because of TJ. I like the claustrophobic trapped part of this series and all this going home just takes you right out of that.

Actually felt sympathy for Wray, maybe I'm warming to her? She really loves her girlfriend.

[​IMG]

The beginning of more and more adorable Volker..

[​IMG]

And of course this episode needs the commentary, YOUNG IS AN IDIOT. And an asshole. Oh dear, I've had an affair but Telford is drinking and laughing with my wife so I will bash his head in. There is one thing though, did Telford tell Young's wife that Young was still sleeping with TJ? Because it sure seemed like it. Or did she now know before this, was all that being mad about his job? Anyway he's a dick no matter how provoked.

What's Rush's real agenda in making a fake planet story? Because it sure isn't morale, unless morale is going to work in his favor somehow.

Oh and I had a good laugh at Park telling TJ that she relieves stress by "reading" when we know she relieves it by Greer :D

WAIT A MINUTE! I totally missed this!

In the beginning Park is in bed with creepy mustache guy who she later gives the cold shoulder to when he grins and says hi in the mess.

And in the end she's with Greer.. so it seems this is why Park is a lot more chilled out that everyone else!

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Up until this episode, I pretty much hated all the leads excecpt TJ, Chloe, Scott and Eli. So, it was a relief seeing any of those 4. This episode was where I started noticing I didn't like Scott at all either, maybe because I really warmed to Camille in this episode, and we're starting to see more of Volker, Park and Brody, so I didn't have to look so hard for someone not to hate.

The did a really good job of Humanizing Wray in this episode and giving me something to appreciate her. Scott's part of the epsiode, just didn't work for me. And... as Teacake says, Young is a Psychotic Dick. Rush is finally starting to grow on me at this point.

16. bullethead

Getting someone to sit in the chair, because it's literally the only way to get info that could help them control the ship.

17. The Wormhole

There's also a webisode which features Park talking about her boyfriend on Earth, and then during it some other guy (just a random background guy in military uniform) shows up and the two of them make out.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed they didn't show this side of Park more often. Not that I object to her eventually settling down and developing a relationship with Greer, but being the ship's slut (for lack of better term) would have been an interesting direction for the character, IMO.

18. teacake

Of course it's also the whole fanboy fantasy in action, Smart Geeky Girl WILL Have Sex.. but they didn't need Park for that, they eventually got gamer girl redhead. Park is infinitely more interesting though.

19. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

All of those scenes captured on the Kinos did matter. The reactions we saw from the crew watching the kino presumably happened in a similar fashion in the 'final' timeline. I think a webisode mentioned that there were two kinos found. One with Scott's warning, and the other from Eli.

20. teacake

Justice: I remember this episode really shocked me and made it seem like the show was going to let them all fall apart. Dangerous choices made.

All that sympathy for Wray gets strangled as she reveals herself to be a paper pushing dick, so small minded she thinks what her boss back on earth wants is of real relevance to their situation billions of light years away. Within hours of taking command her hands are shaking from the stress, I think she's quite relieved to hand it back.

Franklin was always a try hard, fretting over not getting his due whether it was food or attention. I guess he thought sitting in the chair could make him somebody.

And Young reveals himself to be an absolute lunatic.

"You framed me for murder, well I'll go one better! I'll actually murder YOU!"

:rolleyes:

"And you lied Rush, you are always lying but guess what, I'm going to lie about how I left you behind to die!"

What a freaking nutter, so clearly not in control. He should have hauled Rush back, let everyone know what he'd done and had him confined to quarters. Only allowed to work or leave his room with an armed guard at all times, and monitored by kino constantly.

"What's that Rush, you don't think I'm fit for command? Let's see how you like being left behind on a waterless planet to die!"

And now I want to know what was on "the rest of the kino footage" that he asked Eli to give him and delete from his hard drive. The footage that Eli said Scott hadn't seen.

Another example of idiocy, like Eli is going to actually delete something from his hard drive. Might as well ask him to cut off a limb.

This is a very good episode, from the suicide to the gobsmacking end. But it's also sickening so lets look at Park to relieve the pain.

[​IMG]

Park is so adorable when she's thinking really sciencey things :adore: